For all those who do do Ebay....

For all those who do do Ebay....

March 29th, 2012, 1:19 am #1

and please, if you DON'T do ebay, refrain from telling us as much....

How many of us have gotten caught up in an honest to goodness bidding war, and what was the outcome? Was you prize "worth every penny", or did you have the proverbial "Albatross round the neck"?

Me? I have gotten in to two, and I am 1 and 1. In the first, I was going after a submarine kit from Alangar, long oop, and very dear. I set my max, and had to "re-examine" my max on day 3. And day 4. And day 5....and, as day 7 drew near, I just knew my competitor was lurking in the weeds, sniping tools at the ready, so I bumped it up again (just to be sure). Did I get cold feet? Oh yes! I was well over 2.5 time my original max bid.... AND I STILL LOST. Didn't mind it at all. The person who won paid a princely sum. He can have it. He wanted it more than I did.

The second time, I set my max bid (I ususally set the max bid and leave it there, no matter what. Well, on day 5, I was outbid. On day 6, I logged in with an hour to go, and bumped it. Still outbid....bumped again- still outbid...bumped a third (and for me a last time), and got the high bid. I paid more than I had planned, but, only by 8 or 9 dollars.

I was in a bidding war 1 other time, no matter what, I got outbid. I finally gave up, and not 5 minutes after I had lost, I got a message saying that the winner had backed out... this is common practice for shills, so, I replied "too bad, I don't want it", and oddly, it was relisted the next day, at a higherr (much closer to my max) price. I won't bid on that person's stuff anymore.

So, share your ebay bidding war stories!

"The FANS are fighting back!!!"
"The SECURITY GUARDS are fighting back!!!"
"The PEANUT VENDORS are fighting back!!!"

March 29th, 2012, 1:45 am #2

When I decide I want something, I set my maximum price on the thing (mentally), and then I don't look at it again until two minutes before it ends. If it's already over my limit, fine, I just wait for the next one to come up. If it's not, I put in my max number in the last minute. I'd guess I have about a 75-80% success rate and I often get the thing for less than I'd been prepared to pay.

I'm sure if I'd been stupid enough to bid on things all week, and keep jacking the price up, I'd have paid a lot more for stuff than I did, and prolly wouldn't have gotten half of it at all.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

March 29th, 2012, 2:08 am #3

How many of us have gotten caught up in an honest to goodness bidding war, and what was the outcome? Was you prize "worth every penny", or did you have the proverbial "Albatross round the neck"?

Me? I have gotten in to two, and I am 1 and 1. In the first, I was going after a submarine kit from Alangar, long oop, and very dear. I set my max, and had to "re-examine" my max on day 3. And day 4. And day 5....and, as day 7 drew near, I just knew my competitor was lurking in the weeds, sniping tools at the ready, so I bumped it up again (just to be sure). Did I get cold feet? Oh yes! I was well over 2.5 time my original max bid.... AND I STILL LOST. Didn't mind it at all. The person who won paid a princely sum. He can have it. He wanted it more than I did.

The second time, I set my max bid (I ususally set the max bid and leave it there, no matter what. Well, on day 5, I was outbid. On day 6, I logged in with an hour to go, and bumped it. Still outbid....bumped again- still outbid...bumped a third (and for me a last time), and got the high bid. I paid more than I had planned, but, only by 8 or 9 dollars.

I was in a bidding war 1 other time, no matter what, I got outbid. I finally gave up, and not 5 minutes after I had lost, I got a message saying that the winner had backed out... this is common practice for shills, so, I replied "too bad, I don't want it", and oddly, it was relisted the next day, at a higherr (much closer to my max) price. I won't bid on that person's stuff anymore.

It was for an exotic part for an enlarger. It seems we both really needed that part!

I wound up losing - and then, not a week later, the exact same part goes up for bid. Nobody bid on it but me.

So, the "winner" ended up paying $25.00 + S&H, and I, the loser, paid $5.99 for the exact same part - with free shipping!

I need to lose more often.

March 29th, 2012, 4:18 am #4

Had to have that Gene Hooker vac C-133. I expect I paid a fair market price, maybe a little more, but at the time I felt that I paid too much. Never got into another bidding war. Now I just let things slide. If it's meant to be, I'll eventually get whatever it is. It's just material posessions I don't need anyway.

March 29th, 2012, 5:06 am #5

r
Last edited by p38m on March 29th, 2012, 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 5:10 am #6

I make sure to snipe a 'what it's worth to me plus say 10-20%' max in the last 5 secs. It's worked 80% of the time and usually the 10-20% wasn't req'd, but better safe than sorry.
Last edited by bookmark460 on March 29th, 2012, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 5:19 am #7

r
r
Last edited by p38m on March 29th, 2012, 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 10:05 am #8

I usually have a maximum I'll go to and stick with it, even though I have been outbid by a couple of pence (damn those auto bidding tools)

Regards
Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andyksmodelblog.blogspot.com/

March 29th, 2012, 10:48 am #9

I was in one at my brother-in-law's auction gallery. There was a box of Testors paints, square bottles, Model Master,etc., a Robart paint shaker, and old Paasche aircbrush, and a compressor or dubious reputation. I have often bought hobby related items from the gallery, as most of the patrons are antique dealers or collectors and hobby stuff goes cheap. I started the bidding, and another bidder quickly countered. I ran it up to $105, then called it quits. He got it for $110. Immeidately after the auction, the winning bidder comes over to me, tells me he has no idea why he bought the items, and tried to sell them to me for what he had in them! He has approached my two or three times since, but I figured, you wanted them, you keep them.

On the other hand, I have benefitted from some real dozies of bidding wars. I took a clunker Chinese knockoff of a Browning .22 semiauto rifle to the gallery that I had paid $90 for. I figured I could get enoough out of it to partially pay for a new .22. After the dust settled, somebody had bid it up to $180! I bought my new .22 and a scope, and still had change, thank you.

March 29th, 2012, 3:36 pm #10

I don't do Ebay....anymore. But when I did, I always just put in what I wanted to pay and waited to see if I won. Never seen anything on it that I just had to have.