For a project far far away, just gathering info on F-16 MiG Killers

For a project far far away, just gathering info on F-16 MiG Killers

January 21st, 2011, 4:15 pm #1

Looking to do a couple MiG Killers, F-16DG (Block 42) 90-0778 and F-16CJ (Block 50) 91-0353

In 1/48 I have the Tamiya Aggressor C/N kit and I have the Kinetic DG/DJ Block 50 kit.

I'm well aware of the Kinetic droopy nose issues and lack of finesse compared to the Tamiya kit, but the people that look at my shelf know F-16's pretty well, but won't notice these particular "problems".

I see that decals are available for both, but the big question is how much of a pain is it to graft the leftover Tamiya intake/exhaust parts onto the Kinetic kit? Would I be better off getting another Kinetic kit with the 25/32/42/52 parts and kit bashing that way, or should I get rid of the Kinetic kit and look for a Hasegawa kit on ebay? Does Hasegawa even do a D 42/52 or am I still bashing anyway?

A look over at Squadron - they do not have ANY Hasegawa F-16's in stock.

January 21st, 2011, 6:16 pm #2

The Hasegawa is still the way to go...I can't see any advantages Kinetic has on it...you are still going to need a larger HUD, but those are readily available in resin by themselves. 778 got its kill before any of the "scab" plates were added, so the conversion is easy...BUT, really the BEST route is to get Shawn Hull to get his posterior in gear and release his D conversion for Tamiya. That solves all problems.

The Hasegawa kits have the small intake and Pratt exhaust for a 42.

353 is easy.

Now, be aware that there are no markings available for 778 when it got its kill. The SuperScale ones are post kill when it was absorbed into the 33rd TFS...when Nordo knocked down his foxbat, it was a 19th TFS jet.

January 21st, 2011, 7:01 pm #3

I could steal that HUD, no?

And which Hasegawa kit number has the NSI/P&W parts? This is the only one on ebay right now, other than the Block 52 Advanced Polish/Hellenic release:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hasegawa-1-48-F-16D ... 19c27b929e

Does the Hasegawa kit also have the bigger gear and bulged doors? I read a review that said those were also incorrect:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... rn/00.shtm

And lastly, confirming that the tail code was "SW" and not "LF", correct? Afterburner Decals does a set in the 56th "LF" markings.

(not stolen from F-16.net, but used under fair use doctrine)

What should be written at the top of the tail for the 19th FS, "Gamecocks"?

Thanks for all your help! It sounds like I may have to give up my first born to find the right Hasegawa kit!
Last edited by jfgesquire on January 21st, 2011, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2011, 6:03 am #4

The HUD is integral with the Tamiya instrument panel...its way more of a pain to hack it away than use a resin one.

All D kits have the NSI/Pratt parts, but if you can find Kit #09352, The F-16DJ release, it contains the bulged doors and heavy gear/wheels. Otherwise, those are only in the Block 50CJ kits.

Our sheet for Luke has 778 from a couple of years ago...

...at the time of the kill, it was assigned to the 33rd, but it was a 19th jet....at that time the units were deploying a D to theater. The 33rds broke hard on the way over, so they arranged for the 19th to leave theirs in Saudi for the 33rd to use. It was lacking a couple of hours before heavy maintenance, so the squadron CO, Gary North (now PACAF commander) was burning the hours off, when he caught the AWACs tasking to head off the foxbat in the No-Fly zone.

He zapped it with a slammer, flew back to Saudi, the jet went into phase and when it came out, it had 33rd markings.

It looked like this:

Possibly, depending on how the research goes, you'll have access to the complete markings for 778 at the time of its kill before you get to work on the project. We're also going to cover 353 on the sheet because the existing sheet has some goobers in it.

This is 353 the morning after the kill:

Last edited by magnetass on January 22nd, 2011, 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 22nd, 2011, 3:59 pm #5

I don't need anymore info than that, just need Hasegawa to re-release some kits to bring the prices down.

I'll keep my eye out for the decals.

Thanks again for your help!