FM DO - 24 WIP 18

FM DO - 24 WIP 18

August 7th, 2017, 10:06 pm #1

Hi All

Finally able to post some more after some computer problems (time for a new one me thinks!) and after saying goodbye to PB, hello Imgur (thanks again Russ!)

So, after having competed the remedial work on the main wing struts and attaching them to the fuselage I could finally think about the steps leading to applying paint. The canopy was masked in readiness.

As the interior is silver I used a mix of Humbrol Primer and silver, resulting in good adhesion and correct colour...

First results weren't too bad....

But a little additional filler work was needed to satisfy....

I then mixed some Humbrol 77 navy blue with some more primer and sprayed the rest of the fuselage and was happy to see no other problems, all of the meticulous filling and sanding sessions had payed off!
Happy with that stage I next glued the tail assembly to the fuselage...

Again, some preparatory work aided a good fit...

With minor filling and sanding necessary, at last I had the fuselage and tail together as a whole and she's starting to take shape!

This is the colour scheme I was after sourced from this book...

It's always good to have decent reference material and Humbrol 77 is a match for the topside according to this title.

First job was to take a leaf out of fellow HSer, Marc Rocca and try something new (to me at least) that was to apply dark random splotches to the underside...

Followed by gradually building up the underside colour...

Which according to the book was "Milk White" but the Humbrol match was for a duck egg which is clearly wrong, I went for number 41, Ivory, thinking that plain white would just be too stark.

The underside complete resulting in a nice random uneven finish, a good base for more weathering to come. (I like my aircraft weather beaten, especially ones that get dipped into the sea!)

After the paint had dried for a few days it was time to start masking for the topside..

Rather a lot of masking at that, approx three hours later it looked like this!

Again, dark splotches were randomly sprayed all over the uppers...

Gradually building up the colour once again...

With a drum roll the masking was removed a day later....

Ta Da !

Ta Da again !

What a hansom beast!

So there she is for now, I'm really pleased with the results so far. The next step is to gloss the entire fuselage and add insignia and weather.

Sorry for the long post but what with all of the problems I've had regarding computer and PB I've had a backlog of photos, anway hope you enjoy.
Till next time
Regards
Steve.

Last edited by scoobydid on August 7th, 2017, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Looking good, Steve!

August 7th, 2017, 10:56 pm #2

Cant wait to see it finished!

Hey Steve !! ...

August 7th, 2017, 11:48 pm #3

Hi All

Finally able to post some more after some computer problems (time for a new one me thinks!) and after saying goodbye to PB, hello Imgur (thanks again Russ!)

So, after having competed the remedial work on the main wing struts and attaching them to the fuselage I could finally think about the steps leading to applying paint. The canopy was masked in readiness.

As the interior is silver I used a mix of Humbrol Primer and silver, resulting in good adhesion and correct colour...

I then mixed some Humbrol 77 navy blue with some more primer and sprayed the rest of the fuselage and was happy to see no other problems, all of the meticulous filling and sanding sessions had payed off!

With minor filling and sanding necessary, at last I had the fuselage and tail together as a whole and she's starting to take shape!

It's always good to have decent reference material and Humbrol 77 is a match for the topside according to this title.

First job was to take a leaf out of fellow HSer, Marc Rocca and try something new (to me at least) that was to apply dark random splotches to the underside...

Which according to the book was "Milk White" but the Humbrol match was for a duck egg which is clearly wrong, I went for number 41, Ivory, thinking that plain white would just be too stark.

The underside complete resulting in a nice random uneven finish, a good base for more weathering to come. (I like my aircraft weather beaten, especially ones that get dipped into the sea!)

After the paint had dried for a few days it was time to start masking for the topside..

Ta Da !

Ta Da again !

What a hansom beast!

So there she is for now, I'm really pleased with the results so far. The next step is to gloss the entire fuselage and add insignia and weather.

Sorry for the long post but what with all of the problems I've had regarding computer and PB I've had a backlog of photos, anway hope you enjoy.
Till next time
Regards
Steve.

...you forgot the wing !!

Coming along quite nicely

I just like airplanes

It is a big job

August 8th, 2017, 12:10 am #4

Hi All

Ta Da !

Ta Da again !

What a hansom beast!

Till next time
Regards
Steve.

The detailing you did should really pop after weathering.

Nice looking boat, just need a wing now to go with it!

Excellent work

August 8th, 2017, 12:57 pm #5

Hi All

Ta Da !

Ta Da again !

What a hansom beast!

Till next time
Regards
Steve.

You have done an excellent painting job. Do not be concerned about the amount of pictures at all! I appreciate a lot you documenting all the steps of your painting.
Best regards,
Daniele

Wow Steve, looks like you`ve been busy.

August 9th, 2017, 6:12 am #6

Hi All

Ta Da !

Ta Da again !

What a hansom beast!

Till next time
Regards
Steve.

wasn`t expecting that scheme though, looks great so far

Thanks Joel, me too!

August 10th, 2017, 8:16 pm #7

Cant wait to see it finished!
Thanks Joel, me too!

Aha! see above,he, he!

August 10th, 2017, 8:16 pm #8

...you forgot the wing !!

Coming along quite nicely
Aha! see above,he, he!

Thanks Daniele, glad your enjoying it.

August 10th, 2017, 8:17 pm #9

You have done an excellent painting job. Do not be concerned about the amount of pictures at all! I appreciate a lot you documenting all the steps of your painting.
Best regards,
Daniele
Thanks Daniele, glad your enjoying it.

Cheers Russ, yes i think it's a handsome scheme.

August 10th, 2017, 8:18 pm #10

wasn`t expecting that scheme though, looks great so far
Cheers Russ, yes i think it's a handsome scheme.