Flying Tiger P-40 w. B/W underside?

Flying Tiger P-40 w. B/W underside?

January 12th, 2018, 4:17 pm #1

About a decade ago, on de U-Chube, I watched a shortish film on the AVG (10-15 min.--in my memory) showing one of a formation of their Hawk 81s banking to reveal a black/white underside, similar to early war RAF Hurricanes, Gladiators, etc. The view was quite distinct, and I replayed it a few times to be certain. Now, thinking I might want to build it, I can't find the video or any online illustrations or mention of this aircraft. Can anyone point me in any direction toward this unique aircraft?

January 12th, 2018, 4:23 pm #2

Just dark.

I've not come across any reference indicating that the underside would be B&W
Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

January 12th, 2018, 4:28 pm #3

About a decade ago, on de U-Chube, I watched a shortish film on the AVG (10-15 min.--in my memory) showing one of a formation of their Hawk 81s banking to reveal a black/white underside, similar to early war RAF Hurricanes, Gladiators, etc. The view was quite distinct, and I replayed it a few times to be certain. Now, thinking I might want to build it, I can't find the video or any online illustrations or mention of this aircraft. Can anyone point me in any direction toward this unique aircraft?
It depends on the source of the film. I think some footage of RAF birds got mixed into some AVG footage. There was at least one AVG P-40 with Brit. roundels, so who knows? If it is true there should be some other source to confirm it and I know of none.

January 12th, 2018, 5:06 pm #4

I remember the same video, and the plane made a complete turn coming toward the camera and banking away from the camera - the color difference on the underside was there all the way through the maneuver and was not just dark or a shadow.

I don't have a photo hosting site, exactly, but I put two photos in a shared google photo folder... hopefully you can see the pics - if not I will email them to you.

copy and paste if necessary

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V0gelGkLg8y0sv2s1

January 12th, 2018, 6:29 pm #5

January 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm #6

not dispositive of anything.

January 12th, 2018, 6:45 pm #7

it's a cliche but "it is what it is" ...intriguing and worth research...and does mimic to a degree a known RAF underside seen on Tomahawks

January 12th, 2018, 6:54 pm #8

Thank you for posting that.

Clearly, it's not "just dark".

It may not be like the RAF one black wing, but it certainly is not all one shade of camouflage gray* either.

AND, it's clear, to me anyway, that the underside starboard wing is much darker than the rest of the fuselage or either horizontal tail plane in every angle the plane is in throughout the maneuver. IMO - BLACK.

* - I do NOT mean the color that has the specific name Camouflage Gray, or DuPont Gray or RAF Gray or any FS or AN or BS or prewar US or RAF military or civilian paint designation. I use the term camouflage gray as a generic term for some GRAY color used for CAMOUFLAGE.
Last edited by jfgogan on January 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 12th, 2018, 6:55 pm #9

it's a cliche but "it is what it is" ...intriguing and worth research...and does mimic to a degree a known RAF underside seen on Tomahawks
And the Hawks were painted in the US. Do we have any evidence they left the US in B&W undersides.

Last edited by samodeldad on January 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 12th, 2018, 6:55 pm #10

Last edited by samodeldad on January 12th, 2018, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.