Flying sharks - part V : Going bananas

Flying sharks - part V : Going bananas

October 27th, 2011, 10:27 pm #1

Greetings all

While building the new Airfix P-40, I decided to throw in one of the AML Hawks

The AML kit is/was considered to be the most accurate Hawk in 1/72 scale

A lot of PE and resin goodies do not make it not a very straight forward build

It took me some time to the finish the cockpit - so far it was still worth it

On the Airfix forum I already posted a picture of all the kits involved during the wing attachment

How did this go with the AML kit ?

Well... these are the parts involved

Don't be mistaken, these are no alignment pins !

Because the upper wing doesn't cover the whole wheel bay (see left wheel bay), AML have provided thoughtfully a new (very thin) resin wheel bay "ceiling"

Which covers the whole wheel bay

I glued them in place with maskol - I'm really starting to like this stuff as glue

It worked pretty good

... but would the top wing still fit ?

It did

Kudos to AML

Ah let's wait with those kudos

Should I have used spacers in the fuselage ?

Well, the trailing edge is touching the fuselage already... I don't think spacers would've helped much here

... and what is wrong with that fuselage ???

Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhh !!!!

Was this the most accurate Hawk for the last few years ???

Measuring the damage

Everything still looked very much honky dory some days ago...

Maybe it was my fault, when thinning down the fuselage insides for the resin cockpit interior

Could this have caused the bending ?

Many questions...

But the biggest question : are there really people who have build this kit - especially when they named it the best early P-40 out there ?

Thank you for your time

I'm off to look for my favourite axe

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

October 27th, 2011, 10:32 pm #2

I feel your pain (though obviously not as much as you do...). I presume a spacer would mess up the cockpit?

Of course, you could just add filler and carry on - we wouldn't tell!

Regards,
Adrian

October 28th, 2011, 12:52 am #3

Greetings all

On the Airfix forum I already posted a picture of all the kits involved during the wing attachment

Because the upper wing doesn't cover the whole wheel bay (see left wheel bay), AML have provided thoughtfully a new (very thin) resin wheel bay "ceiling"

I glued them in place with maskol - I'm really starting to like this stuff as glue

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Well, the trailing edge is touching the fuselage already... I don't think spacers would've helped much here

Measuring the damage

Maybe it was my fault, when thinning down the fuselage insides for the resin cockpit interior

Many questions...

But the biggest question : are there really people who have build this kit - especially when they named it the best early P-40 out there ?

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2) - Part V (incl. Dutch Nationals 2011 show report)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV

I think I would be using some of the cockpit and decals on a second Airfix kit..... you kill me William

Cheers, Vic

October 28th, 2011, 2:23 am #4

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

Maybe try a modelling saw instead, William. From the photo you have with the red alignment lines, it looks like the wings and rear fuselage line up okay. - it's the nose section that is skewed to one side. I would saw off the nose and square off the forward section ahead of the windscreen. Then I would add some plastic shims and reglue the nose on straight. Fill in the resulting gaps with gobs of putty - and sand it all to shape.
I have an Academy P-40 on the shelf that was badly crushed in a house move. And I mean CRUSHED: fuselage shattered, wings snapped into multiple fractures, etc. It wasn't a collection of parts - it was a pile of debris. BUT! I painstakingly reassembled all the bits, using gallons of putty and stacks of sand paper, and finally came up with this:

It ain't pretty and it ain't perfect. It has many a flaw and is in serious need of a makeover. But at least it looks like a P40 and not a pile of rubble. If I can restore this wreck, you can fix that nose - I know this!! This pack of sharks needs a new squadron mate!
Best! Ted!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

October 28th, 2011, 4:01 am #5

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

I bought this keep years ago as well because I heard good things about it. It looked nice in the box, but also looked like a difficult build. I was scared. So I put it away. Then the Hobby Boss and Trumpeter kits came out and I started to realized there is no way I would ever build the AML kit. (Not to mention my canopies had started to turn a nice shade of yellow.) Then with the Airfix kit being released, I came to terms that what I really bought was a nice decal sheet, and some PE and resin, and the rest of the kit went in the trash.

Jim
ascalecanadian.blogspot.com

October 28th, 2011, 5:22 am #6

Maybe try a modelling saw instead, William. From the photo you have with the red alignment lines, it looks like the wings and rear fuselage line up okay. - it's the nose section that is skewed to one side. I would saw off the nose and square off the forward section ahead of the windscreen. Then I would add some plastic shims and reglue the nose on straight. Fill in the resulting gaps with gobs of putty - and sand it all to shape.
I have an Academy P-40 on the shelf that was badly crushed in a house move. And I mean CRUSHED: fuselage shattered, wings snapped into multiple fractures, etc. It wasn't a collection of parts - it was a pile of debris. BUT! I painstakingly reassembled all the bits, using gallons of putty and stacks of sand paper, and finally came up with this:

It ain't pretty and it ain't perfect. It has many a flaw and is in serious need of a makeover. But at least it looks like a P40 and not a pile of rubble. If I can restore this wreck, you can fix that nose - I know this!! This pack of sharks needs a new squadron mate!
Best! Ted!

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4; Mad About Migs Pt. 5

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish
...I'm sure it can be fixed and I believe his suggestion is the best approach. Knowing you are not afraid of putty (a Beau springs to mind... ), I'm sure you can fix this one. Binning it would be a shame - you've already put a lot of work into it. Besides, a lot of us have been looking forward to a finished TRIO. How's that for motivation?

October 28th, 2011, 6:52 am #7

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

I will not be dishonest and tell "come on, nothing there you can't fix".
The better you have to do is put this kit back in his box and dig it for the next ten years. I'm sure that when you'll find it back you'll laugh at and finish it in the twinkling of a eye...

October 28th, 2011, 10:49 am #8

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

I wonder what would happen if you put the whole thing in hot water and worked it straight. (And I've got some heavy-duty pipe wrenches that might help!)

As for the wing root gap, the P-40 had a good bit of dihedral; in your pictures the wings look quite flat. Would inducing some dihedral help close the gaps?

In any case, admirable work!

Stuart

October 28th, 2011, 2:39 pm #9

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

You are sure working these kits to the limit. And things are getting even better! We've seen your work.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! (:=

October 28th, 2011, 4:58 pm #10

Greetings all

It worked pretty good

It did

Kudos to AML

Measuring the damage

Many questions...

Thank you for your time

* <i></i> * *

A pot of water furiously steaming was helpful. I did a bit of a build article for Internet Modeler, but it seems to have scared off more prospective builders than it encouraged.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2008/jul ... ml_p40.php

The kit will be as accurate as you make it. No guarantees from what's in the box.