Flying sharks - part IV

Flying sharks - part IV

October 20th, 2011, 9:17 pm #1

Greetings all

I'm still having fun with the new Airfix Hawk 81 (at the left) which I try to build together with the Trumpeter rival (middle) and one of the AML Hawks (right)

... all ready for some wings

I decided to glue the top wing to the fuselage first

With just a little glue to put the upper wings in place

And then run some more glue at the bottom along the joints

I don't like sanding

Looks like I don't have to do much sanding here

When the glue has ALMOST (giving room for shifting if needed) settled - bring in the full span underwing

I start with glue in the middle - at the front...

... and at the end

Nice fit

But I joined upper and bottom wings first for the other kits

And they needed some peg magic

Trumpeter kit :

Rats... why didn't I first glue the upper wings to the fuselage ?

The AML kit was even worse - that was SHEER horror - I will post this in a seperate post on the 1/72 GB forum shortly

On to the cowling parts (or whatever you call it...)

Both with some kind of slots (Airfix on the right)

As Vic already showed/explained - removing the slot on the Airfix kit makes life a little easier

... and the same goes for the Trumpeter kit

Note the cut mark due to the soft plastic (as pointed out by Greg) on the Airfix kit (right)

I'm sure with more care this can be prevented

The Airfix rudder... didn't entirely fit - bottom "touching" points a little too long

Trumpeter (right) had another booboo - with rudder "arms" (or whatever you call them) on BOTH sides... easily remedied though

Airfix (left) was correct with this feature only on port side

I found them too basic and decided to cut them all off

And shorten the rudder at the bottom in length - giving me a much better fit

Horizontal stabs WITHOUT glue - to show you the good fit

After this picture I dropped some Tamiya glue on the joints for sealing

I like the "open" option for the cowling flaps (or whatever you call them) on the Airfix kit

Trumpeter (right) offers only closed flaps

Both pieces went on beautifully

Only yesterday evening I discovered Airfix provided also a "closed" option (!!!)... while reading the current Airfix Model World magazine (which has a nice feature on this new kit)

I checked my sprues... and whaddyaknow

Canopies, Airfix left - Trumpeter right

Trumpeter offers a separate windshield, which in my opinion only complicated things a little bit more

Only a few hours later I read Hal's useful tip on the interior colour of the cockpit rear part - being OD - so I have the wrong colour there - interior green

But I will come back later on the canopies

My Mr Surfacer 1500 rattle can didn't have much rattle anymore, and all I could find was Tamiya Fine Surface Primer - as used by Vic

It worked marvellous - though it didn't smell as nice as Mr Surfacer

Trumpeter left - Airfix right... note differences in guns, and I didn't knock them off on the Trumpeter kit

The primer revealed indeed deeper panel lines at the rear - as mentioned by Vic - so I cured them with Mr Surfacer 500 "from the jar"

I still had to install the control "arm" for the rudder - but google (not me ) failed to give me good reference shots of this

Then I remembered Flying Legends 2007 at Duxford where I saw The Real Hawk for the first time

One of my pictures gave me "some" idea to work on

Ten minutes later, small parts of a 3 mm plastic rod did the job pretty well

Ready for paint now... and I still don't know what schemes

AVG, US Army, RAF... and what on which model... I think I have to ask my GF as she always knows everything - but then one of them might end up with Czech markings

Anyway, thanks for your time Airfix critters, hope this was useful

Take care

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on October 20th, 2011, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 20th, 2011, 9:29 pm #2

you can pull up your own reference photos for a project?!!

Great experiment and I love seeing the updates. Keep it up and we'll all be watching like a, um, hawk.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Heeb; Puyallup, WA
In fond memory of Loran B Heeb
"Ol' Scrapiron"
447th BG; Rattlesden England

October 20th, 2011, 9:57 pm #3

Greetings all

I'm still having fun with the new Airfix Hawk 81 (at the left) which I try to build together with the Trumpeter rival (middle) and one of the AML Hawks (right)

I don't like sanding

When the glue has ALMOST (giving room for shifting if needed) settled - bring in the full span underwing

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

The AML kit was even worse - that was SHEER horror - I will post this in a seperate post on the 1/72 GB forum shortly

As Vic already showed/explained - removing the slot on the Airfix kit makes life a little easier

Note the cut mark due to the soft plastic (as pointed out by Greg) on the Airfix kit (right)

The Airfix rudder... didn't entirely fit - bottom "touching" points a little too long

Trumpeter (right) had another booboo - with rudder "arms" (or whatever you call them) on BOTH sides... easily remedied though

I like the "open" option for the cowling flaps (or whatever you call them) on the Airfix kit

Only yesterday evening I discovered Airfix provided also a "closed" option (!!!)... while reading the current Airfix Model World magazine (which has a nice feature on this new kit)

Trumpeter offers a separate windshield, which in my opinion only complicated things a little bit more

Only a few hours later I read Hal's useful tip on the interior colour of the cockpit rear part - being OD - so I have the wrong colour there - interior green

My Mr Surfacer 1500 rattle can didn't have much rattle anymore, and all I could find was Tamiya Fine Surface Primer - as used by Vic

Trumpeter left - Airfix right... note differences in guns, and I didn't knock them off on the Trumpeter kit

The primer revealed indeed deeper panel lines at the rear - as mentioned by Vic - so I cured them with Mr Surfacer 500 "from the jar"

I still had to install the control "arm" for the rudder - but google (not me ) failed to give me good reference shots of this

Then I remembered Flying Legends 2007 at Duxford where I saw The Real Hawk for the first time

AVG, US Army, RAF... and what on which model... I think I have to ask my GF as she always knows everything - but then one of them might end up with Czech markings

Take care

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III

Looks great so far, NICE tip on the top wings, I should have done mine that way!

Greg IN OK

October 20th, 2011, 10:07 pm #4

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

Another of your "settle-back-with-a-cup-of-coffee-and-enjoy" posts.

I don't know where you get your energy young man; three kits at the same time, all looking very tasty!

Thanks for posting.

Dermot

October 21st, 2011, 12:29 am #5

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

Can't wait to see what schemes you choose.

Stuart

October 21st, 2011, 2:00 am #6

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

Great work, William - you're really going to town on this multi-build and it's a real pleasure to drink in your excellent insights and photos! You're inspiring me to greater things here - as usual!
Best...Ted...

Current Build:
Mad About Migs Pt. 1; Mad About Migs Pt. 2; Mad About Migs Pt. 3; Mad About Migs Pt. 4

Tall Tales:
Kanal Kampf: A Spitfire Story
Cold War Incident
The Lucky Mig

Previous WIP Builds:
Matilda Makeover Pt.1; Matilda Makeover Pt.2; Matilda Makeover Pt.3; Matilda Makeover Finish;

The Big Spit Pt.1; The Big Spit Pt.2; The Big Spit Pt.3; The Big Spit Pt.4; The Big Spit Pt.5; The Big Spit Pt.6;
The Big Spit Pt.7; The Big Spit Pt.8; The Big Spit Pt.9; The Big Spit Pt.10; The Big Spit Pt.11; The Big Spit Finish;

Me109 Pt.1; Me109 Pt.2; Me109 Pt.3; Me109 Finish;

Vickers Tank Pt.1; Vickers Tank Pt.2; Vickers Tank Pt.3; Vickers Tank Pt.4; Vickers Tank Pt.5; Vickers Tank Pt.6; Vickers Tank Finish;

Connies Pt.1; Connies Pt.2; Connies Pt.3; Connies Pt.4; Connies Pt.5; Connies Pt.6; Connies Pt.7; Connies Finish

October 21st, 2011, 2:44 am #7

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

THanks for the step-be-step build advice - excellent service.

October 21st, 2011, 4:29 am #8

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

Excellent modelling there William, watching with interest, n/t

October 21st, 2011, 9:38 am #9

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

I cant wait for it to arrive at my LHS.

Thanks for the progress report

Fred Coulson

October 21st, 2011, 1:12 pm #10

Greetings all

I don't like sanding

... and at the end

Nice fit

Trumpeter kit :

Take care

* <i></i> * *

For the refined modeller there is no limit in the choice of the tools

Anyway, great production william. I am curious to see the colors you will chose
Ciao
Luigi