Flying sharks - part III

Flying sharks - part III

October 18th, 2011, 10:27 pm #1

Greetings all

I'm getting a bit behind with my slow Hawks

Last time we had painted the Airfix (left) and Trumpeter (right) interior

Yes... it was my dopey choice to build the new Airfix Hawk together with the Trumpeter and an AML kit - especially the last one is a first rate attention whore

It took me several evenings to get the interior together - of which not that much can be seen

Meanwhile I continued on the interior of the Airfix and (at the right) Trumpeter kit

The progress of one evening, starting with a wash

As Vic already remarked - the Airfix kit has a very nice decal for the instrument panel

It went on beautifully - no screaming and shouting involved here

All 3 interiors almost finished

AML (with PE seatbelts) - Airfix - Trumpeter (last 2 with tape seatbelts)

How well does the Airfix fuselage fit together ?

VERY GOOD !

The top front end panel dropped in place without any issues

But I should have taken more care of cleaning up the sprue gate attachment points

Same on the other side

If I can give one word of advice : do a better job then this big ape (me) when cleaning up this part

What about the Chinese kit ?

Trumpeter wants you to trap the tail wheel between the fuselage halves before joining them together

One of the biggest booboo's of the Trumpeter kit :

The interior sits TOO high

While we didn't need them on the Airfix kit, we needed some pegs assistance for the Trumpy kit

I have to say, the sprue gate points were easier to clean up on the front end top part of the Trumpeter kit - but that's probably just my fault

There is some filler needed on the back of the interior of the Airfix kit

All 3 fuselages now ready for more adventures with Tamiya glue

I'm still happy with the Airfix kit - though I find the Trumpeter kit also enjoyable

Shapewise there is not much difference between them, fitwise also not...

The AML kit so far needed MORE (much more!) work then the other two together - and shapewise has a slightly shorter canopy opening (see my first post for comparisons)

Wondering what can go wrong with the wings now...

Thank you for the interest Airfix critters, take care blessed creatures

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

October 18th, 2011, 10:36 pm #2

I was going to post last night but didn't make it. My comment of the Airfix P-40 is that the plastic is very soft. Testors F4U type soft,

Now soft plastic has advantages (in reshaping and sanding) and disadvantages (in clipping off parts, especally small parts. I have the SAME marks in my cowl top and I broke the joystick just in handleing it!

So, it doesn't make me not like the kit and hard plastic can be a bigger pain, but heads up, the P-40 is made from SOFT plastic.

Greg in OK

October 18th, 2011, 11:14 pm #3

Greetings all

Yes... it was my dopey choice to build the new Airfix Hawk together with the Trumpeter and an AML kit - especially the last one is a first rate attention whore

It took me several evenings to get the interior together - of which not that much can be seen

Meanwhile I continued on the interior of the Airfix and (at the right) Trumpeter kit

As Vic already remarked - the Airfix kit has a very nice decal for the instrument panel

VERY GOOD !

But I should have taken more care of cleaning up the sprue gate attachment points

Same on the other side

If I can give one word of advice : do a better job then this big ape (me) when cleaning up this part

Trumpeter wants you to trap the tail wheel between the fuselage halves before joining them together

While we didn't need them on the Airfix kit, we needed some pegs assistance for the Trumpy kit

I have to say, the sprue gate points were easier to clean up on the front end top part of the Trumpeter kit - but that's probably just my fault

I'm still happy with the Airfix kit - though I find the Trumpeter kit also enjoyable

The AML kit so far needed MORE (much more!) work then the other two together - and shapewise has a slightly shorter canopy opening (see my first post for comparisons)

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)

That area under glass behind the cockpit is not an interior area, and wants to be painted matching the exterior color. On AVG Hawks, the camo separation line goes right down the middle of that area, and is clearly visible in photos of those birds. On some Brit field repaints, that area remained the factory original OD. Discounting the sky's reflection, you can clearly make out the OD in this pic. Nice comparison of the different kits. I'm normally a 1/48th builder, but the new Airfix kit attracts me. Hal Sr

[/IMG]
Last edited by P47Hal on October 18th, 2011, 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 18th, 2011, 11:40 pm #4

Greetings all

VERY GOOD !

Same on the other side

* <i></i> * *

Nice in build pics, those are very useful, n/t

October 19th, 2011, 2:21 pm #5

That area under glass behind the cockpit is not an interior area, and wants to be painted matching the exterior color. On AVG Hawks, the camo separation line goes right down the middle of that area, and is clearly visible in photos of those birds. On some Brit field repaints, that area remained the factory original OD. Discounting the sky's reflection, you can clearly make out the OD in this pic. Nice comparison of the different kits. I'm normally a 1/48th builder, but the new Airfix kit attracts me. Hal Sr

[/IMG]
/

October 19th, 2011, 3:29 pm #6

[/IMG]
Great photo, and great comments about building the little P-40's. I LOVE the Airfix Group Build!

October 19th, 2011, 9:37 pm #7

I was going to post last night but didn't make it. My comment of the Airfix P-40 is that the plastic is very soft. Testors F4U type soft,

Now soft plastic has advantages (in reshaping and sanding) and disadvantages (in clipping off parts, especally small parts. I have the SAME marks in my cowl top and I broke the joystick just in handleing it!

So, it doesn't make me not like the kit and hard plastic can be a bigger pain, but heads up, the P-40 is made from SOFT plastic.

Greg in OK
Next time I will be more carefull clipping off the parts from the tree

I tried to cover the damage with a little bit of filler - but not much luck, currently the models are in a primer, and I "think" it'll be alright

Hope to see a progress report on yours soon Greg

* <i></i> * *

October 19th, 2011, 9:41 pm #8

[/IMG]
And it is appreciated very much, unfortunatly it's a little late (just a few hours), I already glued the canopy parts on - but I will remember this for my next one

I also note the very subtle panel lines on the front end, wish I could replicate that in an easy way (I'm still recovering of filling and sanding them all on my PR.XIX Spitfire)

Thanks for the pic

* <i></i> * *

October 19th, 2011, 9:44 pm #9

Nice in build pics, those are very useful, n/t
* <i></i> * *

October 19th, 2011, 10:59 pm #10

Greetings all

VERY GOOD !

Same on the other side

* <i></i> * *

Interesting pic the one with the three cockpits side by side. Not immediately obvious that they are supposed to be from the same plane!

I may have missed it (haven't been very active lately) but how do you plan to finish these? Not all AVG, I assume?

Have started on my Hawk 81 but with nothing to report that hasn't already been mentioned, I'll just wait with a post till I have something new to contribute.

Don't think any one kit ever got this much attention in this forum before. But well deserved - it really is a little gem.

Great work on all three, William. Looking forward to your next WIP report.