First Scheduled 787 Flight to U.S. En Route

First Scheduled 787 Flight to U.S. En Route

April 22nd, 2012, 5:08 am #1

A week or two ago a question was asked about state of the 787.

I just came across this piece of info. Wasn't looking for it...just stumbled on it.

As of about 1 hour and 50 minutes ago as I type this, a Japan Air Lines 787 left Narita for Boston Logan.

This will be the first scheduled, commercial 787 flight in or to the U.S.

I believe all 787s so far delivered have gone to JAL and ANA in Japan. While it has been used for domestic scheduled flights in Japan since late last year (an possibly some regional, international flights from Japan), this is the first commercial 787 flight over the U.S. (or will be "over" the U.S. in a few hours).
Last edited by KBGair on April 22nd, 2012, 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 23rd, 2012, 1:02 pm #2

the operator tends to keep them close to home during their initial service sorties. This gives crew time to get familiar with the aircraft and address any mechanical issues discovered. Now that it is all systems green, its time to use it for what it was designed and acquired to do...worldwide long range flying.

It will be nice to see them flying high overhead as more are put into service. From where I am I often get to see and photograph high flyers as they make their way across the sky.

Such as this KAL A380 as it passed over Green Bay some 40+ miles away from where I am.

as well as others too...

April 23rd, 2012, 1:53 pm #3

When I looked at the Narita to Boston track of the JAL 787, it skirted just a couple of miles north of me in Winnipeg. That's not at all surprising as Winnipeg is the emergency alternate for a lot of international flights on northern routes. In the early days of the 747, we were getting more 747 traffic than JFK . Pan Am flights were landing here daily.

I checked the return route from Boston to Narita hoping it would back-track along the same path. Unfortunately, it flew a different route which took if over Hudson Bay.

I'll have to figure out "digiscoping". I've got a nice spotting scope with an 80mm objective lens that gives me a good view of traffic over head. I need to get that hooked up to my camera.
Last edited by KBGair on April 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.