firefly Pt6

firefly Pt6

July 16th, 2012, 10:04 am #1

While working on the instrument panels I was mulling over the challenge of the canopys for the RAN T.5 as they were an unusual local modification. First off I have made resin casting of canopy's I had to hand.

I then preceeded to cut them up so I could remodel the forward winscreens, I made copies of both styles of canopys ( low line and high top )as the T.5 had both, low on the front, high top for the backseater.

I then started to form up the triangular windscreens using cut and shaped card.

Once the filler has set, they will be sanded down, cleaned up and will hopefully suffice as masters for a couple of vacformed ones, and this is where it gets interesting for me as I am 'building' a vac box in the twixt times, I have yet to try this at home, maybe I should share that adventure as well.

the instrument panels, the 'simplier' one for the back seater.

The seats, a slightly better photo than the last attempt.

The newly cast prop blades, and below the comparison with the kit blades.

have great week everyone,
Dan

July 16th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

That interior looks pretty good - sure worth the vac effort

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

July 17th, 2012, 7:08 am #3

While working on the instrument panels I was mulling over the challenge of the canopys for the RAN T.5 as they were an unusual local modification. First off I have made resin casting of canopy's I had to hand.

I then preceeded to cut them up so I could remodel the forward winscreens, I made copies of both styles of canopys ( low line and high top )as the T.5 had both, low on the front, high top for the backseater.

Once the filler has set, they will be sanded down, cleaned up and will hopefully suffice as masters for a couple of vacformed ones, and this is where it gets interesting for me as I am 'building' a vac box in the twixt times, I have yet to try this at home, maybe I should share that adventure as well.

Dan
I am following your build with interest
Cheers
Luigi

July 17th, 2012, 9:51 am #4

Dan
most impressed with the fineness of the blades - must get my new mixtures out and have a play! All the best .

July 18th, 2012, 1:43 am #5

Dan
... and excellent craftsmanship on the prop blades.

Can't wait to see the canopies

Jim

The sound of squeaking track brings it all back

July 18th, 2012, 8:29 am #6

most impressed with the fineness of the blades - must get my new mixtures out and have a play! All the best .
It took a couple of goes. I am still using the old resins ( tight arse that I am ) and my patented thinning agent. It has slowed the cure a little and makes getting the resin into the moulds easier but can make bubbles an issue.
I liked the grey and white Halibag you posted earlier looks very tidy.
regards
Dan

July 18th, 2012, 8:38 am #7

... and excellent craftsmanship on the prop blades.

Can't wait to see the canopies

Jim

The sound of squeaking track brings it all back
Canopies are going to be a BIG learning curve, I am about 1/3rd the way thru building up a simple home grown Vacform box. I've never tried this, I've usually left it to the vac wizards and brought what I needed.
Thanks for watching.
Danny J