Fireflies as medicine - part I

Fireflies as medicine - part I

July 29th, 2012, 9:40 pm #1

Hi everybody

I managed to get sick during the ONLY hot and dry week of the year we had in Belgium so far this summer

Every day a blue sky - while I had a running nose, a soar throat and a husky voice

The doctor even grounded me from work on Wednesday morning - for the rest of the week

While feeling miserable, I thought I had plenty of time now for doing my bit for the Firefly Group Build

It would be good medicine

It took me almost half an hour to find my Firefly kit back - it was eventually in this corner of my desk...

I had bought it a few years ago 2nd hand for 5 euro

What surprised me was the dark blue plastic

I always found the Dutch Firefly markings the most attractive ones, so I was very happy Mark Peacock could sent me some spare ones from his kit - since my kit only offered one option

Thanks Mark - there are some Czech beers with your name on it - all we have to do now is to get all parties together - hopefully at a Czech model show somewhere in the future

I had big plans for my build, and I had already ordered & received some extra's

Not so long ago I was lucky to win this Firefly in the Pacific Group Build raffle organized by our kind Mr Graham Carter

Thanks Graham, I hope you don't mind me saying you're wife has a golden hand

The Eastern Express kit is of course the old Frog tooling - of which I was quite unfamiliar with to be honest

I had never seen one up close and personal

The decals were a bit wonky - but that's why I ordered the Aeromaster sheet (see above)

The Airfix kit was more familiar - as there has always been a build example in dads collection

Build by dad in the very late 1960s - and loved by my brother and me - as the most beautiful plane in dads collection

Over time both exhausts dropped inside the fuselage - so this is an area to watch out for

Both interiors are rather basic

And I managed to break the most delicate part of the Frog kit, the control column

I wanted to spice up the Airfix kit with the Airwaves PE set

So far I have limited experience with these things

And I was curious if they were really worth the expense and the trouble

In just a few minutes time I had a very nice seat

Bending PE is a bit tricky - but using some improvised tools helps a lot

The instrument panel also looked better then anything I could carve out of plastic sheet

Though to make it fit...

I had to carve some slots in the fuselage halves

It took some figuring out where exactly the PE side walls had to go

Of course the PE side wall in the front cockpit "blocked" the slots for the instrument panel

Grrrrrr....

So I had to be creative with a sharp knife

Which was good practice for the next step :

"Carefully remove radio boxes"

No sweat

But the fit was not good

I had to remove almost all location tabs (the red ones)

To get a smoother fit

Dry fitting didn't reveal any problems anymore

But it did for the seat

I had to lower the rear seat to make the seat fit properly

I also added the control column and the PE foot pedals

I glued all seats temporarily to some left over sprue for painting

Painting with Vallejo Model Air Mahagony (71036)

In real life it looks more dark red brown - somewhat darker then rust

I painted the interior with Vallejo Model Air Black Grey (056) - and a very light dry brushing with light grey

The fuselage "outside of the cockpit interior" were painted flat black - you barely see the difference

My plans with the Frog example were less idealistic

Quick build from the box

I painted this interior with an own mix of very dark green

Maybe a little too dark... but better to dark then too light

Brothers in pegs

... or should it be "sisters in pegs" ?

Moments later I realized I forgot to include the rear decking part

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Luckily I didn't had to pry open the whole fuselage again

Only the top

Which was then "pegged" again

And now......

Now we are 5 days later - and both Fireflies are NOT finished

But fiddling with small PE parts is not exactly working as medicine for your health - so much I learned

So yesterday Saturday and today Sunday I didn't do anything - just resting, reading books & watching movies. I still have some vague pain in my throat when I swallow - but otherwise it's much better. Tomorrow back to work and with the occasional modelling in the evening I doubt very much if I can finish both of them this month... an extension would be sweet

Thanks Airfix critters - for letting me rattle on about another new project - take care !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / Plastic Stories

1/72 - Special Hobby - TT-1 Pinto : Part I (incl Panthers Cup 2012 show report)
1/72 - Airfix/Jo-Han - Mitsubishi Zero/Rufe conversion: Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Douglas Devastator : Part I
1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
Last edited by William De Coster on July 29th, 2012, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 29th, 2012, 9:50 pm #2

Glad to help.

Looking forward to those Czech beers when I make it over. And that Firefly is a real labour of love and skill.

July 30th, 2012, 1:00 am #3

Hi everybody

I managed to get sick during the ONLY hot and dry week of the year we had in Belgium so far this summer

Every day a blue sky - while I had a running nose, a soar throat and a husky voice

The doctor even grounded me from work on Wednesday morning - for the rest of the week

While feeling miserable, I thought I had plenty of time now for doing my bit for the Firefly Group Build

It took me almost half an hour to find my Firefly kit back - it was eventually in this corner of my desk...

I always found the Dutch Firefly markings the most attractive ones, so I was very happy Mark Peacock could sent me some spare ones from his kit - since my kit only offered one option

Thanks Mark - there are some Czech beers with your name on it - all we have to do now is to get all parties together - hopefully at a Czech model show somewhere in the future

Not so long ago I was lucky to win this Firefly in the Pacific Group Build raffle organized by our kind Mr Graham Carter

The Eastern Express kit is of course the old Frog tooling - of which I was quite unfamiliar with to be honest

The decals were a bit wonky - but that's why I ordered the Aeromaster sheet (see above)

The Airfix kit was more familiar - as there has always been a build example in dads collection

Build by dad in the very late 1960s - and loved by my brother and me - as the most beautiful plane in dads collection

Over time both exhausts dropped inside the fuselage - so this is an area to watch out for

And I managed to break the most delicate part of the Frog kit, the control column

The instrument panel also looked better then anything I could carve out of plastic sheet

Though to make it fit...

Of course the PE side wall in the front cockpit "blocked" the slots for the instrument panel

Grrrrrr....

No sweat

But the fit was not good

To get a smoother fit

But it did for the seat

I painted the interior with Vallejo Model Air Black Grey (056) - and a very light dry brushing with light grey

The fuselage "outside of the cockpit interior" were painted flat black - you barely see the difference

Quick build from the box

Brothers in pegs

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Only the top

And now......

But fiddling with small PE parts is not exactly working as medicine for your health - so much I learned

So yesterday Saturday and today Sunday I didn't do anything - just resting, reading books & watching movies. I still have some vague pain in my throat when I swallow - but otherwise it's much better. Tomorrow back to work and with the occasional modelling in the evening I doubt very much if I can finish both of them this month... an extension would be sweet

Thanks Airfix critters - for letting me rattle on about another new project - take care !

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II

comments and I look forward to seeing these two finished. As you may have spotted in my postings, rather than use PE interiors I have moulded/cast my own copies of the Special Hobby interiors for use in mine, which are not a lot further along the production line after a month as yours are after a week!! Good effort..

July 30th, 2012, 5:22 pm #4

Hi everybody

Though to make it fit...

Grrrrrr....

No sweat

But the fit was not good

To get a smoother fit

But it did for the seat

Quick build from the box

Brothers in pegs

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Only the top

And now......

* <i></i> * *

William you are unstoppable....you just pretend to be sick for having more time to dedicate to your beloved kits

Glad to learn your throat is better. I guess one of wonderful belgian beers would help recovering?

Will follow your post with interest as usual

Cheers
Luigi

July 31st, 2012, 4:50 am #5

Hi everybody

Though to make it fit...

Grrrrrr....

No sweat

But the fit was not good

To get a smoother fit

But it did for the seat

Quick build from the box

Brothers in pegs

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Only the top

And now......

* <i></i> * *

I too have the Frog and Airfix kits. Comparing them side by side is like having two kits of different scales. I'm surprised the same etch fits both...

Regards,
Adrian

July 31st, 2012, 6:07 am #6

Hi everybody

Though to make it fit...

Grrrrrr....

No sweat

But the fit was not good

To get a smoother fit

But it did for the seat

Quick build from the box

Brothers in pegs

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Only the top

And now......

* <i></i> * *

Hi William, very nice and lively builds, as usual. Sometimes fitting extra parts into a kit is not straightforward, but you are doing it fine. Get better for the rain season .
Greetings,
Daniele

July 31st, 2012, 10:29 am #7

I admire such a "no fears" modeller as you--whip out the cutting tool and have at it! These will be a "cut" above!

BTW, I have a cold too, but am away from home and so can't avail myself of modeling therapy

Stuart

July 31st, 2012, 11:04 am #8

Hi everybody

Though to make it fit...

Grrrrrr....

No sweat

But the fit was not good

To get a smoother fit

But it did for the seat

Quick build from the box

Brothers in pegs

Aaaaaarrrrggghhhh !!!!

Only the top

And now......

* <i></i> * *

You sure like cutting things fine, but they are coming along nicely.

II was grounded last Thursday by my Doctor, but it is at least Winter here.

Like the work so far

Take care

Fred

July 31st, 2012, 8:39 pm #9

Glad to help.

Looking forward to those Czech beers when I make it over. And that Firefly is a real labour of love and skill.
Hope you don't mind I will already do some training over the next few weeks

Thanks Mark

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 & AZ Model - Spitfire Mk.22: Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II

July 31st, 2012, 8:44 pm #10

comments and I look forward to seeing these two finished. As you may have spotted in my postings, rather than use PE interiors I have moulded/cast my own copies of the Special Hobby interiors for use in mine, which are not a lot further along the production line after a month as yours are after a week!! Good effort..
of the interior - that's also an interesting way to go

Though after having painted the interior black now, and closing the fusleage, I wonder why I did all the effort... there 's barely something visible down there

Ah well.. it was good training

Thanks Graham

* <i></i> * *

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfire Mk.22 & AZ Model - Spitfire Mk.22: Part I (incl Flying Legends 2012 show report) - Part II