Finally finished one of my Airfix hanger queens......

Finally finished one of my Airfix hanger queens......

July 28th, 2012, 10:04 pm #1

I have been working on this kit for a LONG time now, had to deal with a broken strut (the kit's, not mine) and a few missing pieces that I has to fabricate but finally! I'm done (except I forgot to paint the tail wheel! Can you belive it? I didn't notice that until I uploaded the photos!)

This kit did NOT go quietly into the night, it fought me every inch of the way (the broken strut in particular)

Fun thou....

Greg in OK

July 28th, 2012, 10:25 pm #2

could they have used the same tyre suppliers as the Valkyrie that has Aluminium impregnated tyres.

THC

Currently on the bench
Tamiya Lexus LFA
Airfix Hawk 81
Orks, lots of Orks!

Who Knows? Only The Claw knows!

July 28th, 2012, 11:31 pm #3

I have been working on this kit for a LONG time now, had to deal with a broken strut (the kit's, not mine) and a few missing pieces that I has to fabricate but finally! I'm done (except I forgot to paint the tail wheel! Can you belive it? I didn't notice that until I uploaded the photos!)

This kit did NOT go quietly into the night, it fought me every inch of the way (the broken strut in particular)

Fun thou....

Greg in OK
Nice work Greg, lovely build.

All the best.

Stu.

"How often do you guys go on a bender ?
This isn't a bender, this is night time!"

Air America

July 29th, 2012, 12:17 am #4

Fun thou....

Greg in OK
Lovely, I wish Airfix would do one of those in 1/72, n/t

July 29th, 2012, 12:26 am #5

Yeah, I might be talked into trying a simple Vac-Form, but an H.P.42....ahh, no.

Greg in OK

July 29th, 2012, 12:53 am #6

Fun thou....

Greg in OK
It may have fought you, but you sure won! Nice sharp build and a lovely silver finish. Nice!

Stuart

July 29th, 2012, 1:09 am #7

Fun thou....

Greg in OK
Always a kit I screwed up on and I always like seeing one finished.

Great job

Fred

July 29th, 2012, 5:40 am #8

Fun thou....

Greg in OK
so bold as to make a suggestion (having devoted a lot of time and energy to research and build a vacform in1/72 scale), the fuselage was metal finished up to the bulkhead behind the passenger door but everything else, rear fuselage tail surfaces and all wings were silver doped fabric so would have been a flat silver finish, and the propellers were a dark brown wood. Otherwise a great little model - see my posting below for my big one.

July 29th, 2012, 5:49 am #9

Yeah, I might be talked into trying a simple Vac-Form, but an H.P.42....ahh, no.

Greg in OK
Hi Greg - here is my 1/72 Contrail vacform model - one of the best models I have built and which I was lucky enough to score "best in show' at the 2009 ScaleACT competition in Canberra, Australia .

Hope you like it - it is HUGE!! and I have built it with a full interior - notice the change in silver tone on the rear fuselage where the metal surface changes to fabric.

July 29th, 2012, 11:50 am #10

I haven't built any vacform yet.

Greg in OK