Felixstowe Rigging Done...and some Fokker News

Felixstowe Rigging Done...and some Fokker News

Dan Smith
Dan Smith

September 14th, 2011, 4:45 am #1

Well...it's all I'm going to do! I think I'm missing a couple of fin wires, but I can't really get a good photo of where they go so I'm calling it quits for now. I got the elevators rigged, the anti-drag wires installed, the canopy on and the dorsal gun in place. Only a few tiny details and touch ups and she's done!

As a bonus, here is the Fokker. I got all the parts cut out and sanded and even installed the nacelles as a first appoximation. Next step will be interior and some extra filling here and there. Going quite well I must say for Vac #2...

Thanks for looking.

September 14th, 2011, 6:13 am #2

Gee......that rigg'n in 1/72 scale......amazing good work there Dan.

September 14th, 2011, 7:32 am #3

Well...it's all I'm going to do! I think I'm missing a couple of fin wires, but I can't really get a good photo of where they go so I'm calling it quits for now. I got the elevators rigged, the anti-drag wires installed, the canopy on and the dorsal gun in place. Only a few tiny details and touch ups and she's done!

As a bonus, here is the Fokker. I got all the parts cut out and sanded and even installed the nacelles as a first appoximation. Next step will be interior and some extra filling here and there. Going quite well I must say for Vac #2...

Thanks for looking.
Beautiful work Dan - would really like to know how you did the rudder and elevator cables on the Felixstowe. They look real good. Congrats!

Petri

September 14th, 2011, 1:28 pm #4

Thanks for looking.
And I'm following the Fokker with avid interest--one of these years I need to try a vac!

Stuart

September 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm #5

Thanks for looking.
More then amazing - I know you do bit by bit, but still, it's a serieus patience tester I think.

Does the canopy still needs painting (the framework I mean of course)... isn't that difficult with all the rigging done now ? Just wondering

Love the Fokker - it looks good, I'm almost convinced vacs are not so difficult

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1)
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part IV
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

September 14th, 2011, 9:21 pm #6

Gee......that rigg'n in 1/72 scale......amazing good work there Dan.
It was nice to get it done. The plane looks really cool next to my Airfix HP 0/400!

Hopefully final shots soon...

September 14th, 2011, 9:30 pm #7

Beautiful work Dan - would really like to know how you did the rudder and elevator cables on the Felixstowe. They look real good. Congrats!

Petri
...only if you tell how you got that DH-9 to look so real!!

Those tail cables were the hardest, I think, since you need to bring two connections down to one with "V" shapes etc. I tried to use elastic from socks at first but that was a disaster for me at least.

Ultimately, I took two large pieces of invisible mending thread pre-colored with a Sharpie marker. I tied them together with a nice knot leaving two really long tails, and two shorter ones. The knot was then hit with super glue and accelerator. The two long tails go back to the control horns and only one shorter lead needs to go into the fuselage. I made sure it was the right length and cut off one of the shorter tails I didn't use.

Now you have one "short" and two "longs". The short was super glued and accelerated into the fuselage. Then, I put a dab of glue on one or the pair of control horns. I then carefully pulled one of the long tails tight and over the glue blob and hit with accelerator. Trimmed off the excess with nail clippers. Just continue until you can't stand it anymore.

The rigging from the horns to the back of the elevators, rudders and ailerons is just stretched clear sprue colored with Sharpie. It's solid enough you can just glue it in short lengths directly and tighten (if needed) with heat.

There are undoubtedly better ways to do this!!

I hope this helps. My Gotha will be neater, I promise.

September 14th, 2011, 9:33 pm #8

And I'm following the Fokker with avid interest--one of these years I need to try a vac!

Stuart
All I can say is there is a contest over here on Saturday and I'll be looking for an Airfix B-24 and as many vacs as I like. Folks are usually giving them away. They are addicting, different and allow you to flex your model muscles a bit with old reliable sweat, cutting and sanding. Nothing any of the Airfix regulars (like you) aren't doing already.

Thanks for looking and commenting. I really have enjoyed this kit. If I figure it's cost and enjoyment per hour, it's well worth the price. Really a well thought out kit and the finish line sure looks pretty.

Cheers.

September 14th, 2011, 9:35 pm #9

More then amazing - I know you do bit by bit, but still, it's a serieus patience tester I think.

Does the canopy still needs painting (the framework I mean of course)... isn't that difficult with all the rigging done now ? Just wondering

Love the Fokker - it looks good, I'm almost convinced vacs are not so difficult

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1)
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part IV
1/72 - KP - MiG-15 UTI : Part I - Part II (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.2)

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God
My plan is to carefully paint them by hand. If I get in trouble, I'll pop it off and go through the laborious masking. We'll see how shaky my hands are!!

Thanks for looking and go start a vac!

Cheers.

September 15th, 2011, 2:30 am #10

Thanks for looking.
I think it looks just beautiful. The rigging looks petite and delicate as it should.
Great job. Can we get more pics of the rigging between the wings as well?

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish