Fe-2b Ready for Patrol (Lots of Pictures)

Fe-2b Ready for Patrol (Lots of Pictures)

March 18th, 2012, 4:33 am #1

All,

I got her done today! I made the prop by cutting out the basic outline from a thin piece of plastic sheet and then imparting a "pusher" twist. I then poured some hot water over it followed by cold and it held position nicely. Then, it was fine tuned with some sanding to airfoil shape and beefing up the hub with some putty. Finally, I added a prop holder out of more sheet cut with a punch. Painted as usual to look like wood

Highlights are spent ammo bags, a pitot tube, generator and step (I think it's a step!) under the fuselage, wind screen, wing tip skids, muddied wheels, scratch guns, engine...well...it's all scratch! This is the first time I've not cannibalized something from another kit like the nice guns or wheels from a Roden kit etc. Very satisfying indeed.

Sorry for all the pictures, but I couldn't help it. Thanks to you all for your encouragement along the way. It was fun to share and get input.

Cheers and thanks for looking.
Last edited by NinetyThirdLiberator on March 18th, 2012, 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2012, 7:12 am #2

What a great finish and an incredible build. It's been a delight to share in this build.

Cheers
Jim

March 18th, 2012, 10:36 am #3

All,

I got her done today! I made the prop by cutting out the basic outline from a thin piece of plastic sheet and then imparting a "pusher" twist. I then poured some hot water over it followed by cold and it held position nicely. Then, it was fine tuned with some sanding to airfoil shape and beefing up the hub with some putty. Finally, I added a prop holder out of more sheet cut with a punch. Painted as usual to look like wood

Highlights are spent ammo bags, a pitot tube, generator and step (I think it's a step!) under the fuselage, wind screen, wing tip skids, muddied wheels, scratch guns, engine...well...it's all scratch! This is the first time I've not cannibalized something from another kit like the nice guns or wheels from a Roden kit etc. Very satisfying indeed.

Sorry for all the pictures, but I couldn't help it. Thanks to you all for your encouragement along the way. It was fun to share and get input.

That is a beautiful result Dan, I really enjoyed following along on the build.

March 18th, 2012, 11:09 am #4

All,

absolutely outstanding work Dan, I am in awe ! I struggled with the most basic of WW1 fighters and looking at your masterpiece both encourages me and makes me almost chuck it in lol.
I have been following this build with interest, not because of the subject but because of what you were attempting to do with the build.
Congratulations on achieving what you set out to do. Once again, amazing work, well done!

Regards,

Ash

March 18th, 2012, 1:51 pm #5

All,

You should be insanely proud of that!

March 18th, 2012, 1:58 pm #6

All,

Brilliant work that's been a delight to watch!

Stuart

March 18th, 2012, 2:12 pm #7

All,

I think I have to modify my earlier comment of "insanely brilliant" to "brilliantly insane"!

I hope it doesn't dampen your enjoyment of the WNW one (remember??)...

Regards,
Adrian

March 18th, 2012, 7:51 pm #8

All,

How 'bout "How do you pick it up?".....
Take a long, deep bow my friend. Wonderful job.
I'm not sure I would even attempt an injected kit version of this olde aircraft.
Really outstanding modeling Dan, all that Airfixing done ya good.

Could you please do this for us next?.............

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

March 19th, 2012, 1:07 am #9

All,

What on God's green earth are you going to do to top that? You must be the most innovative and fearless builder in our group!

Thanks for posting.

Cheers, Vic

March 19th, 2012, 5:48 pm #10

All,

I really appreciate the detail you have achieved in your scratch building. Not an easy subject either! Always looking forward to what you have next. Tim