Fe-2b Landing Gear...What do you think?

Fe-2b Landing Gear...What do you think?

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 2nd, 2012, 6:00 am #1

Hello Chaps and Chapettes,

I went to the local hardware store and found some small o-rings that looked great. I glued them around a plastic hub...so far so good. I then tacked them to the Fee and before I put on the spoke covers I need some help: Do you think the wheels are too big?

I'm not sure. Part of me thinks they might look odd since they aren't painted yet. In put would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Dan

March 2nd, 2012, 6:42 am #2

Sorry, would have preferred to say that your problems are over, but...

Like the booms, you'll like it much more if you take the time and effort to get it right.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tutorials: Plasticene wheel wells Cheap vacform machine Example vac-form
RAAF Kingfisher: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Final
Bronco NOGS: Part 1 Jan 2009 Part 2 Dec 2010(!) Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Final
Frog Vengeance: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Final

March 2nd, 2012, 7:28 am #3

I went to the local hardware store and found some small o-rings that looked great. I glued them around a plastic hub...so far so good. I then tacked them to the Fee and before I put on the spoke covers I need some help: Do you think the wheels are too big?

I'm not sure. Part of me thinks they might look odd since they aren't painted yet. In put would be most appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Dan
I'm looking at a few Fee' photos right now, and from what I can tell (based on the number of results, I haven't done any research) that the landing-gear structure you have selected isn't too common.

I see greater instances of planes with the central skid and a couple other configurations.

That said, I think your representation looks great.

March 2nd, 2012, 12:09 pm #4

Thanks in advance.

Dan
once the centers are painted a darker colour. They maybe a 'tad' large - but not much.

Cheers, Vic

March 2nd, 2012, 1:08 pm #5

Thanks in advance.

Dan
Impressive bit of architecture you've got under there.

Just a wandering thought: if you really think the tires are too big, can you cut out a couple of millimeters and glue the ends back together? (Wonder what kind of glue works on grommets like that.) Anyway, my eye is certainly not offended as it is.

Amazed and admiring,

Stuart

March 2nd, 2012, 4:03 pm #6

Thanks in advance.

Dan
I think they look about right. I still can't get it in
to my head that you are building this in 1/72nd scale.

Kevin in Brown's Point, Washington

March 2nd, 2012, 9:52 pm #7

Sorry, would have preferred to say that your problems are over, but...

Like the booms, you'll like it much more if you take the time and effort to get it right.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tutorials: Plasticene wheel wells Cheap vacform machine Example vac-form
RAAF Kingfisher: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Final
Bronco NOGS: Part 1 Jan 2009 Part 2 Dec 2010(!) Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Final
Frog Vengeance: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Final
I'm leaning that way too. I'll paint them, put on the spokes and then see. I guess I'll scrounge for some from another kit of I'll just make a master and vac 'em.

We'll let you know soon enough! You were right about the booms too...

Cheers.

March 2nd, 2012, 9:53 pm #8

I'm looking at a few Fee' photos right now, and from what I can tell (based on the number of results, I haven't done any research) that the landing-gear structure you have selected isn't too common.

I see greater instances of planes with the central skid and a couple other configurations.

That said, I think your representation looks great.

Yes...I decided to make the landing gear a bit different as I'll use the tricycle gear on the WNW kit!

Looking at you photo, I do think my wheels are a wee bit too big.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

March 2nd, 2012, 9:54 pm #9

once the centers are painted a darker colour. They maybe a 'tad' large - but not much.

Cheers, Vic
I think I'll see how they look all painted and finished. Then I'll decide. The more I look, the tinier they seem, though...arghhh.

Thanks for your help.

March 2nd, 2012, 9:56 pm #10

Impressive bit of architecture you've got under there.

Just a wandering thought: if you really think the tires are too big, can you cut out a couple of millimeters and glue the ends back together? (Wonder what kind of glue works on grommets like that.) Anyway, my eye is certainly not offended as it is.

Amazed and admiring,

Stuart
That was a "duh" moment. As long as I make the hub circular, the cut tube should look fine.

I only worry about what the seam will look like, but I think that's better than a huge tire!

Much appreciated!