Fantastical Fish Finished...

Fantastical Fish Finished...

May 6th, 2011, 4:35 am #1

This is a resin kit I got a few months back. Scale is 1/35 and it was a real learning experience to paint all these metallic colors. Oils were used for the patina. I added a bright white LED in the cockpit area, and replaced the clear resin "eyes" with punched clear styrene discs to better view the interior. All the fins are photo etch and were soldered together. The base was a lot of fun to make. I drew on my SCUBA diving hobby as inspiration. I wanted to have a lot of color and just played with the oils and such. I added the wagon wheel to fill some dead space and I think it worked out well. It was crudded up with a thick mixture of od green pigments and alcohol then sealed and a dark brown wash applied. The seaweed is cut from sheet aluminum and formed. I used it to hide the support for the fish. The coral is pillow foam stretched and colored with Vallejo acrylics and glued in place. I will be taking this to Wonderfest in KY next week for display. Hope you guys like it. "Q"
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

Last edited by matthewq on May 6th, 2011, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2011, 4:51 am #2

I know everything except most things

May 6th, 2011, 5:39 am #3

This is a resin kit I got a few months back. Scale is 1/35 and it was a real learning experience to paint all these metallic colors. Oils were used for the patina. I added a bright white LED in the cockpit area, and replaced the clear resin "eyes" with punched clear styrene discs to better view the interior. All the fins are photo etch and were soldered together. The base was a lot of fun to make. I drew on my SCUBA diving hobby as inspiration. I wanted to have a lot of color and just played with the oils and such. I added the wagon wheel to fill some dead space and I think it worked out well. It was crudded up with a thick mixture of od green pigments and alcohol then sealed and a dark brown wash applied. The seaweed is cut from sheet aluminum and formed. I used it to hide the support for the fish. The coral is pillow foam stretched and colored with Vallejo acrylics and glued in place. I will be taking this to Wonderfest in KY next week for display. Hope you guys like it. "Q"
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

Who is the guy in your club who likes vacuform models???

May 6th, 2011, 6:05 am #4

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

Shades of Jules Verne; quite nice... n / t

May 6th, 2011, 6:11 am #5

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

great model and very good paintjob!

the only thing is... is it diving on it's own, where is the pilot?

I just browsed through the Steampunk Bible of my wife and thought about all the modelling possibilities.

May 6th, 2011, 6:40 am #6

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

Piscatorial excellence, n/t

May 6th, 2011, 7:09 am #7

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

... question. What make is the resin model? Oh and another thing; I noticed that the "cockpit canopy" is mounted on some kind of a pivoting mechanism. Does it swing open to reveal the interior or is it fixed closed?

Great and out of the ordinary model!! Thanks for sharing.

Kikis

May 6th, 2011, 7:50 am #8

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Matt Quiroz
Centennial IPMS
Colorado Springs, CO.

nice work

May 6th, 2011, 9:29 am #9

... question. What make is the resin model? Oh and another thing; I noticed that the "cockpit canopy" is mounted on some kind of a pivoting mechanism. Does it swing open to reveal the interior or is it fixed closed?

Great and out of the ordinary model!! Thanks for sharing.

Kikis
... an answer to the mounting of the "canopy". It is not possible that it moves around the brass points on the side by much. Just imagine, not possible mechanically taht it swings upwards, there will be a colission.

Also it is visblie that this brass tubing on the lower end of the canopy is a part of the main hull in the model. It can be seen in pics 1 and 2.

so it neither will swing in real life or on the model i guess.

but maybe he did not glue the canopy? would be nice to have an occasional look at the nice interior!

May 6th, 2011, 10:24 am #10

At first I thought that it swings upwards only to discard it a second later because of the "mechanics" as you have mentioned, but I was kind of hoping it could have a limited swing downwards. I haven't noticed the brass tubing in the first picture being part of the main hull though, so I guess you are right. I would appreciate the make if you have it Andy.

Thanks, Kikis