Fairey Firefly main landing gear?

Fairey Firefly main landing gear?

April 15th, 2018, 4:07 pm #1

Does anyone have any good scale drawings of the main gear struts of a Fairey Firefly?

April 15th, 2018, 6:21 pm #2

Scott, If you google "Fairey Firefly Landing Gear", you'll find pictures that should answer any questions about the Firefly landing gear. Also pictured is the white metal landing gear set for the Firefly, from Scale Aircraft Conversions. I wish that I had done this about a week ago.

April 15th, 2018, 8:25 pm #3

I've collected just about every photo I can find online, but it would be nice to find something that shows the dimensions (length, thickness, etc.) of the main strut as well as the precise positions of the various attachments. I'd also like to find a good unobstructed view of the lower strut, showing how the axle and torque links are attached. This is for a Grand Phoenix Firefly build - the kit struts are a bit thick and blobbish. I've been tinkering with scratchbuilding a set from aluminum tubing, adapting the retract and drag struts from the SAC metal set for the Special Hobby Fireflies, and it would be nice to have some good drawings to go by.

April 16th, 2018, 2:04 am #4

Does anyone have any good scale drawings of the main gear struts of a Fairey Firefly?
Try asking over on the Aussie Modeller site. Over the years I have been surprised at the technical drawings for things like landing gear that show up there. I really don't recall ever seeing those for the Firefly but since that type was used by the RAN, there's a chance someone may have the technical drawings and/or specs.

April 16th, 2018, 8:45 pm #5

I've collected just about every photo I can find online, but it would be nice to find something that shows the dimensions (length, thickness, etc.) of the main strut as well as the precise positions of the various attachments. I'd also like to find a good unobstructed view of the lower strut, showing how the axle and torque links are attached. This is for a Grand Phoenix Firefly build - the kit struts are a bit thick and blobbish. I've been tinkering with scratchbuilding a set from aluminum tubing, adapting the retract and drag struts from the SAC metal set for the Special Hobby Fireflies, and it would be nice to have some good drawings to go by.
?d=160418224411

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo ... efly-tt-1/
Last edited by andrewmacrae on April 16th, 2018, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.