F7F-3 / F-7D Bobcat. (What-if?) VA-176, Vietnam, 1967

F7F-3 / F-7D Bobcat. (What-if?) VA-176, Vietnam, 1967

July 5th, 2012, 12:18 am #1

It's official, this is my last model to be built in this house... We'll be moving starting friday...

OK, so the 'What-if bug' has bitten me... BAD!!! In the opening statement of my last Whiffer build I posted...

"I've always seen myself as a 'serious' kind of modeler. A 'what if' or 'Whiffer' would never be seen on one of my display case shelves."

Well, after seeing John Jeffers F7F-3 Junglecat, that all changed. I really wanted to start having more fun with my models, and stop being so serious!
So, I started thinking about setting the stage for my Whiffer...
(Now, dont get me wrong, Im still a serious modeler Im just having more fun building! )

Well, now I'm having even more fun. Serious fun!!!

Taking up the story where the Air Force was 'forced' to adopt the F-7C Bobcat, they were eventually very pleased with the aircraft. The Navy, not to be upstaged, outdone, or even worse, ignored when it came to newer aircraft, decided they wanted the Bobcat as well, filling in the medium attack role for the A-4 Skyhawk series, until that aircraft had fully matured.

Once again the DoD, and the Navy approached Shogun Aircraft Ltd., and set forth their requirements

Surplus F7F-3Ns and F7F-4s were to be used only, keeping with the Navys philosophy that a two-man crew would serve better than a single crew in the more dynamic aircraft carrier environment, due to safety concerns, and pilot workload issues during night missions.

Where the Air Force directed the wing be basically, redesigned internally and externally, the Navy opted only to strengthen the wing, and its wing fold design, and like the Air Force space out the weapons hardpoints, and add tip tanks.

Again, newer, improved (naval) avionics, autopilot, radar altimeter, stronger engines, new fuel systems and a new escape system / crash worthiness systems were also installed. Flight safety, and flight essential systems were also made redundant.

Furthermore, the SCR-720 radar of the original aircraft by this time was considered obsolete, so a new ground avoidance radar was installed. Along with this, some of the new budding technology of the day was making its debut. FLIR. This is the same system that would be later to be used on Grummans A-6E Intruder as TRAM.
Hey, the guy in back has to have something to do... Right?

Where the Air Force designation was the F-7C Bobcat, the Navy version was designated the F-7D Bobcat.
Some of the crews started unofficially, but affectionately calling her, The Catfish or Charlie the Tuna.

Modifications made to the kit:

Tail hook added.
Re-spaced pylons. (Pylons taken from F9F-5 Panther kit.)
Harrier drop tanks for tip tanks.
Antenna from Skyraider kit added.
CMK lights added.
Heavily weighted the nose.
TRAM turret from Monogram A-6. (Spare parts box)
FLIR screen from F-18 cockpit

Decals:

Ah yes! Decals... This is where I really started wondering what Navy squadron would have operated such an aircraft. Being she was taking up the Medium Attack role for the Skyhawk, I was going to go with some of those squadrons.
But then I thought back to the whole hypothetical /What-if genesis of the type, this was an alternative to the Skyraider! Another prop plane I have to stick with Skyraider squadrons!
Now, whom would I use?!?!? Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me! (No pun intended) David Hansen will love this one!!!
VA-176, The Thunderbolts! And wonder of wonders, I have some left over decals just for that very squadron!!!

Just think of it, instead of LtJG Patton shooting down a MIG in a Skyraider, he did it in a Tigercat/Bobcat?!? Now think even more about it Do you think a Tigercat put in the same exact circumstances would have been able to pull that off? I think so...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Last edited by shogun66 on July 6th, 2012, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
- Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi, Don
Luke: 22:36

July 5th, 2012, 1:41 am #2

Looks Good, Don

July 5th, 2012, 2:44 am #3

It's official, this is my last model to be built in this house... We'll be moving starting friday...

OK, so the 'What-if bug' has bitten me... BAD!!! In the opening statement of my last Whiffer build I posted...

"I've always seen myself as a 'serious' kind of modeler. A 'what if' or 'Whiffer' would never be seen on one of my display case shelves."

Well, after seeing John Jeffers F7F-3 Junglecat, that all changed. I really wanted to start having more fun with my models, and stop being so serious!
(Now, dont get me wrong, Im still a serious modeler Im just having more fun building! )

Taking up the story where the Air Force was 'forced' to adopt the F-7C Bobcat, they were eventually very pleased with the aircraft. The Navy, not to be upstaged, outdone, or even worse, ignored when it came to newer aircraft, decided they wanted the Bobcat as well, filling in the medium attack role for the A-4 Skyhawk series, until that aircraft had fully matured.

Once again the DoD, and the Navy approached Shogun Aircraft Ltd., and set forth their requirements

Surplus F7F-3Ns and F7F-4s were to be used only, keeping with the Navys philosophy that a two-man crew would serve better than a single crew in the more dynamic aircraft carrier environment, due to safety concerns, and pilot workload issues during night missions.

Where the Air Force directed the wing be basically, redesigned internally and externally, the Navy opted only to strengthen the wing, and its wing fold design, and like the Air Force space out the weapons hardpoints, and add tip tanks.

Again, newer, improved (naval) avionics, autopilot, radar altimeter, stronger engines, new fuel systems and a new escape system / crash worthiness systems were also installed. Flight safety, and flight essential systems were also made redundant.

Furthermore, the SCR-720 radar of the original aircraft by this time was considered obsolete, so a new ground avoidance radar was installed. Along with this, some of the new budding technology of the day was making its debut. FLIR. This is the same system that would be later to be used on Grummans A-6E Intruder as TRAM.

Where the Air Force designation was the F-7C Bobcat, the Navy version was designated the F-7D Bobcat.
Some of the crews started unofficially, but affectionately calling her, The Catfish or Charlie the Tuna.

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Ah yes! Decals... This is where I really started wondering what Navy squadron would have operated such an aircraft. Being she was taking up the Medium Attack role for the Skyhawk, I was going to go with some of those squadrons.
But then I thought back to the whole hypothetical /What-if genesis of the type, this was an alternative to the Skyraider! Another prop plane I have to stick with Skyraider squadrons!
Now, whom would I use?!?!? Suddenly, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me! (No pun intended) David Hansen will love this one!!!
VA-176, The Thunderbolts! And wonder of wonders, I have some left over decals just for that very squadron!!!

Just think of it, instead of LtJG Patton shooting down a MIG in a Skyraider, he did it in a Tigercat/Bobcat?!? Now think even more about it Do you think a Tigercat put in the same exact circumstances would have been able to pull that off? I think so...

We stole the eagle from the Air Force, the anchor from the Navy, and the rope from the Army.
On the seventh day while God rested, we overran his perimeter, stole the globe, and we've been running the whole show ever since.

Semper Fi, Don
Oh my! And I keep trying to stick together little pieces of plastic to wind up with a replica of some sort of aero plane type thingie.

I better go back to renovating go carts - more grease and busted knuckles, but less frustation than seeing your results.

Don, all the procedures required to produce a 'masterpiece' of our hobby have been 'mastered' by you, and this effort is just another example. Didn't see that one in 1967.

An Old Soldier, but not faded away. Yet.
Last edited by cuzn246 on July 5th, 2012, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 5th, 2012, 4:33 am #4

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
That's brilliant

July 5th, 2012, 10:31 am #5

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
Thanks for putting in an inspirational and highly fictitious build

Cheers

I said "Dart Gun", not a....
Gru - Despicable Me

I AM THE RAGE OF THE SEAS! I AM THE DOOM OF ALL THINGS! I AM ᵗᶦᶰʸ ᵒᶜᵗᵒᵖᵘˢ⋅

July 5th, 2012, 12:24 pm #6

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
that was going to blow everybody's socks off you weren't kidding.
OUTSTANDING !

Wheels UP-Water
Wheels DOWN-Land
DO NOT confuse the two !

July 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm #7

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
Too cool build there Mr.Don. Looks great!! n/t

July 5th, 2012, 3:16 pm #8

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
Oh, and have fun touching everything you twice!

Cheers!
chuk

July 5th, 2012, 4:08 pm #9

Tail hook added.
CMK lights added.

Decals:

Semper Fi, Don
n/t

July 5th, 2012, 7:16 pm #10

Second that 100 %; makes me want to knock one out...n/t