F4U of New Zealand

F4U of New Zealand

March 22nd, 2012, 6:44 pm #1

I am interested in modeling an F4U used by New Zealand
air forces during WWII. Which type, -1, -1A, -1D? Also
does Tamiya box one in 1/48? Thanks---John

March 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm #2

Were all F4U1-A (Vought made) or FG1-D's (Goodyear Manufactured F4U1-A) ID via ORIGINAL US serial, Kiwi serials were applied on delivery and I'm unaware if records of which was which were made.

Brett

March 22nd, 2012, 7:28 pm #3

As was already mentioned, RNZAF did receive Goodyear FG-1Ds in overall Gloss Sea Blue. They served in Japan during the postwar occupation, thru the bitter winter of 1947. You don't see them built very often. Can be done from the Tamiya F4U-1D kit. Don't have pictures handy right now, but these are late-build FG-1Ds, and the antenna aerial usually ran from the tip of the vertical fin (NOT the rudder) and often times plugged into the left side of the fuselage instead of the normal spot on the right, behind the canopy.

There was a beautiful one posted here on Hyperscale...must have been almost 10 years ago by now. But it looked great.

david

March 22nd, 2012, 9:01 pm #4

Were all F4U1-A (Vought made) or FG1-D's (Goodyear Manufactured F4U1-A) ID via ORIGINAL US serial, Kiwi serials were applied on delivery and I'm unaware if records of which was which were made.

Brett
I am a bit confused, what are you telling me?
Or are you asking me?---John

March 22nd, 2012, 10:23 pm #5

And to make it even more interesting, they got quite a few of the very early -1Ds in tricolor camo, before the changeover to overall GSB occurred. Somewhere I have a book with a complete list of every RNZAF Corsair by variant, BuAer No and RNZAF serial number, but just since I'm looking for it, it seems to be in hiding at the moment. Of course.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

March 23rd, 2012, 2:02 am #6

John,

Here's the link to Peter Mossong's Kiwi F4U-1D on HS:

http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f4u1dpm_1.htm

Here's Peter's website:

http://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com/

RNZAF images (make sure you jump to all five pages):

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... read=13700

and more 19 Squadron:

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... 373&page=1#

And previous posts about RNZAF Corsairs:

Snake, who needs to know
RNZAF Corsair question
Sat Jul 6 21:54:16 2002

I've found a pic of what APPEARS to be a RNZAF F4U-1A (bars in the canopy), repainted in overall Glossy Sea Blue (no white or light color is visible on fuselage underside, gear doors, etc.). Number is 491. Does this sound on track so far?

So the question is, would this aircraft have had the RNZAF markings on both wings, or just upper left/lower right like US birds? Got a built, painted Otaki Corsair and kit decals just waiting for the answer....

Peter Mossong
RNZAF F4U's
Sun Jul 7 02:39:35 2002

Snake, roundels on all wing surfaces - the only RNZAF a/c to follow the US style were the SBD-5's.

Working on my Corsair pages at present.

Cheers,
Pete M.

Steve Westerby
It's a "D"
Sun Jul 7 00:02:53 2002

Hi Snake

That aircraft is NZ5419, an F4U-1D.

For your info, here are the serial ranges, no's and models for the Corsairs we got during WWII:

MODEL QTY SERIALS
F4U-1A 237 NZ5201-NZ5396
NZ5461-NZ5463
NZ5465 & NZ5487
NZ5501-NZ5536

F4U-1D 127 NZ5397-NZ5460
NZ5464
NZ5466-NZ5486
NZ5537-NZ5577

FG-1D 60 NZ5601-NZ5660

NZ5419 was delivered new in overall Gloss Sea Blue and had roundels and bars on both wings, top and bottom.

HTH
Steve (True Blue Kiwi)

Snake, proceeding with this
Many thanks, Steve!
Sun Jul 7 00:23:08 2002

Thanks, Steve!

If it's a D, it's an early one with the two extra bars in the canopy. That probably means it didn't have the rocket stubs, either, so no reason I can't finish this GSB-painted Otaki F4U-1A that way! (Had other plans for it orginally, but the decals didn't work out )

Thanks again!

Steve Westerby
No worries...
Sun Jul 7 00:49:14 2002

and yes, it was an early F4U-1D. Only two of the "F4U-1D's" had rockets stubs fitted (retro) although the wiring was there on all of them. None of the F4U-1D's had the footstep in the wing flap either. The FG-1D's all had rocket stubs and the footstep in the flap.

The only Corsairs we had without the extra canopy frames were the Goodyear ones.

Hope that clears up that one for you.

Cheers
Steve

Peter Mossong
Kiwi F4U
Sat Jan 24 02:42:12 2004

Hi Don. I had replied to your question on the mark of F4U shown in the photo, so I'll repost it for you now.

NZ5468 was the only 68 I could pick from a/c serving with N0.3 Servicing unit. It was a replacement and arrived on strength in February 1945. It was lost after an AA hit, but the pilot survived.

Bu.No. was 50411 Manufacturers No.5658.

Most of the RNZAF's F4U-ID's were from the initial production batches, and retained the barred canopy, and many still had the narrow 13' prop and no underwing pylons. All of the early batches were in the 'Tri-Tone' scheme.

Many of the late production Corsairs we received could also be seen with narrow bladed props, as the servicing units would use what they could find - even to robbing bits from the US 'graveyards' to keep the aircraft serviceable.

Regarding your question on the "Ocean Blue" repaints, no record was kept of how many were repainted - even some recently received Glossy Sea Blue aircraft were repainted as well as some badly faded "Tri-Tones'. The Official name for this paint was (NZ) Blue Sea Grey, and was a close match to the old USN Blue Grey ( much of which paint was also used on our Corsairs).

Hope this helps, and if you need any more info, don't hesitate to email me.

Cheers,
Peter Mossonghttp://rnzaf.hobbyvista.com

Re: New FAA (among other) 1/48 Corsair decals
Posted By: Peter Mossong
Date: Friday, 6 December 2002, at 1:28 a.m.

In Response To: New FAA (among other) 1/48 Corsair decals (Dan Salamone)

Hi Guys, just a further addition to this thread. I have just looked at Hannants 'Sky' sheet, and the markings they have given are for New Zealand based training aircraft as the operational Corsairs did not have squadron codes.

The roundel colour for most Corsairs and operational WW2 RNZAF aircraft was, when fresh, approx Fs.35056 ( Humbrol No.25 is a perfect match!). Could vary in service from Fs.35109 > 35190.
This paint was a local mix that approximated the pre-war RAF Bright Ident. Blue, not the darker WW2 Ident Blue/US Insignia Blue (as was used also by Australia).

A lighter colour was used for many aircraft based in New Zealand, and was approx Fs.25095 ( although a few operational aircraft appeared with roundels of this colour).

Cheers,
Peter Mossong.

Possible error with RNZAF insignia
Posted By: Anders Svennevik
Date: Monday, 2 December 2002, at 10:47 a.m.

In Response To: New FAA (among other) 1/48 Corsair decals (Dan Salamone)

The RNZAF Corsairs carried national insignia in 6 positions. 4 were overpainted US insignia and 2 were new. The bars in the US insignia are NOT centered about the middle of the 'roundel', they are slightly above the center. The additional 2 new insignia often had the bars centered round the middle of the 'roundel'. All the Sky insignia appear to be centered round the middle.

The illustrations in the book I mentioned show the different insignia.

The RNZAF site at www.kithobbyist.com has an interesting article on the subject.

Anders

x
xdogoscarnan

March 23rd, 2012, 2:21 am #7

Great information---Thanks!---John

March 23rd, 2012, 5:43 am #8

Often carried 450lb Depth charges especially
over Bouganville in support of troops later
in the war

And for an interesting F4U-1A check out this
link -check out the window on the fuselage
bottom

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.o ... 592#131592

Notice the inner gear doors

And the roundel will be insignia Blue

Regards

Alan

March 23rd, 2012, 4:19 pm #9

John, i'm really weak when it comes to identifying Kiwi Corsairs, so i gladly defer to Don and Peter.

i've heard stories on the inner nets saying that "No" F4U-1Ds were delivered in the three-tone, to "A Few of the Very First -1Ds, and only the First -1C", but it would appear that many were painted in Three Tone and (i guess) delivered directly to the Kiwis, which of course explains why you don't see them with Marine or Navy Squadrons. If you have actual BuAer Numbers to reference the RNZAF serials to, that's pretty incontrovertible proof.

Don't know if this is a plausible explanation or not, but maybe Vought had a stock of the slightly larger Hamilton Standard 13'4" propeller and decided to use them up on the RNZAF production batch? Apparently there was a preference for the slightly smaller 13'1" Paddle Blade propeller as used on the F6F, but you have to look closely at photos.

And so, the crazy Corsair conundrum continues....

david

March 23rd, 2012, 8:19 pm #10

So does Tamiya box a RNZA 1/48 F4U-1 Corsair?
I guess not, so where do I find decals? Thanks---John