F4U-1 gear color

F4U-1 gear color

March 17th, 2012, 3:57 pm #1

I am going to do one of Boyington's Corsairs.
Probably side number 883 and need to find out
the gear and wheel color. It's a tri-color so
would the gear be the same as the bottom camo
color? The only good pics I have seen is of 2
birdcage 214 birds.Thanks---John

March 17th, 2012, 5:02 pm #2

MM Light Aircraft Gray, FS 36495. Many if not all of the earlier Corsairs had landing gear struts and wheels in either silver lacquer or light gray. By the time of the F4U-1D, Vought was delivering aircraft with silver struts and wheels, and Goodyear was delivering them with blue struts and wheels.

i prefer the gray just because it looks better "dirty", but either is acceptable. The insides of the gear doors would be light gray and the wheel wells would probably be salmon.

david

March 17th, 2012, 5:57 pm #3

David, thanks. I have seen pictures of what looks like silver gear and wheels and
also dark blue gear and wheels. I believe 883 was an F4U-1A with the bubble and
braces on canopy. Also I am thinking that the stars and bars on the fuselage had
the red surround?---John

March 17th, 2012, 10:33 pm #4

Most Corsairs had there wheel wells sprayed over in the same color as the camo scheme.

On blue gray it was gray.

Tri-color it was white.

Sea blue they were blue.

Strut colors varied, but many were silver lacquer.

I spoke with a Vought employee who build Corsairs years ago and he stated he always oversprayed the wheel wells with the belly color.

I can't say I ever heard of the light gray that is being suggested in the other reply.

March 17th, 2012, 10:35 pm #5

MM Light Aircraft Gray, FS 36495. Many if not all of the earlier Corsairs had landing gear struts and wheels in either silver lacquer or light gray. By the time of the F4U-1D, Vought was delivering aircraft with silver struts and wheels, and Goodyear was delivering them with blue struts and wheels.

i prefer the gray just because it looks better "dirty", but either is acceptable. The insides of the gear doors would be light gray and the wheel wells would probably be salmon.

david
Salmon was on early birdcage Corsairs but I am of the opinion it was sprayed over too.

Modelers are going to disagree on this for years.

March 17th, 2012, 11:22 pm #6

David, thanks. I have seen pictures of what looks like silver gear and wheels and
also dark blue gear and wheels. I believe 883 was an F4U-1A with the bubble and
braces on canopy. Also I am thinking that the stars and bars on the fuselage had
the red surround?---John
There are some more photos out there on the web, but here are two good ones I found when I did a 1/48 model of 883. Apparently Boyington did fly that plane, or was at least (for sure) in the cockpit. Sky Models makes a great decal sheet from which you can make about a dozen different F4U's.

March 18th, 2012, 12:42 am #7

david
Light gray refers only to the doors, which were painted separately. Larry Webster seems to think the gear was installed and retracted, then the underside colour was applied. This is based on his observations of overspray in the wheel well area.

Something close to interior green and/ or YZC may be acceptable as well on the -1Ds made by Vought. If KD431 is a reliable artifact, it indicates Goodyear went to Gloss Sea Blue wheel wells and struts probably before Vought. A lot of "-1D" attributes start showing up on late Goodyear FG-1As, but that another story.

-d-

March 18th, 2012, 2:16 am #8

There are some more photos out there on the web, but here are two good ones I found when I did a 1/48 model of 883. Apparently Boyington did fly that plane, or was at least (for sure) in the cockpit. Sky Models makes a great decal sheet from which you can make about a dozen different F4U's.

It is listed in his log book.

His log book from his first tour was lost. So those numbers are missing.

March 18th, 2012, 2:20 am #9

Light gray refers only to the doors, which were painted separately. Larry Webster seems to think the gear was installed and retracted, then the underside colour was applied. This is based on his observations of overspray in the wheel well area.

Something close to interior green and/ or YZC may be acceptable as well on the -1Ds made by Vought. If KD431 is a reliable artifact, it indicates Goodyear went to Gloss Sea Blue wheel wells and struts probably before Vought. A lot of "-1D" attributes start showing up on late Goodyear FG-1As, but that another story.

-d-
I really enjoyed it.

In one of my Corsair publications there is actually a photo of a Corsair being painted with a spray gun. The aircraft is on jacks and the wings are folded but the gear is down. I will see if I can locate that photo and scan it.

It looks like the white is being painted in this photo on a tri-color Corsair.

March 18th, 2012, 10:57 am #10

Light Gray.
And anything Larry Webster says, you can take to the bank.