F4F-4 antennas - how many?

F4F-4 antennas - how many?

January 11th, 2008, 5:11 pm #1

Most drawings and photos I have been able to find of F4F-4's show the antenna wire joining the fuselage on the port side aft of the wing in the field of the national insignia. A couple of profile drawings in the Detail and Scale book show antenna wires joining the fuselage on both sides. But, I have seen several models with both of those wires and additional wires leading to both horizontal stabilizers. I suppose any of those configurations would have been possible. For my model, I think I'm sticking with just the single connection on the port side. It is a model of a plane likely flown by Capt. Joe Foss on Guadalcanal. Does that sound reasonable?

January 11th, 2008, 5:52 pm #2

The wire that drops down from the main aerial line (mast to rudder post) is the connection to the radio gear and actually connects to an insulator on the side of the fuselage, and ALL F4Fs would have it. The wires you see running from the horizontal stabs to the fuselage are part of the IFF gear, which was not installed on all USMC F4Fs during the campaign for Guadalcanal, but on a good number of them. If you do choose to include the IFF wires, they should be on both sides. Since Foss was X.O., there is a good chance that his original F4F-4 carried it since division and section leaders were normally the first to have the equipment installed.

January 11th, 2008, 5:57 pm #3

What you say makes sense, and I will add the wires for the IFF signals. But, should there also be a wire from the mast down to the starboard side of the fuselage as well as the one on the port side? And, I suppose the IFF antennas also connected to the same insulated post as the lead down from the mast.
Last edited by Northwest48 on January 11th, 2008, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 11th, 2008, 6:48 pm #4

just the one left side. And yes it is connected to the same insulator.

D&S isn't a very good reference for Wildcats, especailly when it comes to their drawings because they wrong and largely inaccurate.
Last edited by makmov on January 11th, 2008, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 11th, 2008, 8:53 pm #5

If there were IFF antennas on both tails there would have to be terminals and insulators on both sides. Maybe there were?

Sorry to be so picky. I'm just trying to get it right.

January 11th, 2008, 9:02 pm #6

All the gear is on that side of the airframe. The opposite side is the access door.

January 11th, 2008, 9:22 pm #7

All is clear now. Why I was asking about the starboard side was becauseI saw at least one model of an F4F-4 with antennas symmetrically placed on both sides and IFF antennas from both horizontal stabilizers. I'm guessing that was incorrect. And, as you say, there is an accesss door on the starboard side. Not likely there would be another antenna connection thereabouts.

January 11th, 2008, 9:22 pm #8

If there were IFF antennas on both tails there would have to be terminals and insulators on both sides. Maybe there were?

Sorry to be so picky. I'm just trying to get it right.
The only real clear photo I can find is in the Wildcat Walkaround. It is only on the right or starboard side of this particular airframe.

January 11th, 2008, 9:23 pm #9

All is clear now. Why I was asking about the starboard side was becauseI saw at least one model of an F4F-4 with antennas symmetrically placed on both sides and IFF antennas from both horizontal stabilizers. I'm guessing that was incorrect. And, as you say, there is an accesss door on the starboard side. Not likely there would be another antenna connection thereabouts.
You would think but apparently isn't the case.

January 11th, 2008, 9:32 pm #10

Most drawings and photos I have been able to find of F4F-4's show the antenna wire joining the fuselage on the port side aft of the wing in the field of the national insignia. A couple of profile drawings in the Detail and Scale book show antenna wires joining the fuselage on both sides. But, I have seen several models with both of those wires and additional wires leading to both horizontal stabilizers. I suppose any of those configurations would have been possible. For my model, I think I'm sticking with just the single connection on the port side. It is a model of a plane likely flown by Capt. Joe Foss on Guadalcanal. Does that sound reasonable?
I did find a good interior shot. Clearly only a port side ant connection/insulator for the wire coming down from the mast to the fuse side.