F/A-18A wing fence on LERX

July 11th, 2018, 1:55 pm #11

Thanks, that's what I thought. At least first 2 season's didn't
have the wing fence, so Hasegawa's 1/72 kit has it right for
their 1987 decals.---John

July 13th, 2018, 3:08 am #12

Hello, John ... Absolutely NOT !!! They were on the 1988 and following Teams however.  Until they got F-18C's they also had the long thin ECM (?) bulges under the intakes.  They are different sizes and the long one is a bit offset from the center of the intake.  

When the LEX fences were added, three "L-shaped" braces were also added to the inside base of the vertical fins.  Hasegawa kits feature these mods fully.  Monogram has the fences.  Testors kit has LEX but they are too short.  

Monogram F-18C has LEX and also correctly shaped wingtip Sidewinder rails with formation light panels well molded as one piece.  They can be installed upside down so follow instructions for parts number proper placement.  

Happy modeling, George Campbell

July 13th, 2018, 3:28 am #13

I just happened to bump into two of the McAir engineers in a Pensacola Beach restaurant where I had a 1/48 Monogram 6-plane Blue Angel Delta hanging.  I listened as they chatted about the stabilators breaking off and their two solutions to it.  They mentioned Hertz frequencies that existed before the LEX fences and braces and the frequency the fence created to prevent the vibration of the fins and their breakage.  

I wondered as they talked just what the odds were that I would coincidentally hear the guys who solved that problem taking about it on Pensacola Beach ... Astronomical !!!

Some of this saga can be found in a book apparently no longer in my collection about the development of the Hornet.  

The Delta was destroyed  in Hurricane Ivan.  The pilots heads were sawed off and re-positioned to show as they would in the Delta and the formation was correctly positioned in 36-inch wingtip to canopy and vertical spacing.  

July 13th, 2018, 3:32 am #14

blueangelmodeler wrote:I just happened to bump into two of the McAir engineers in a Pensacola Beach restaurant where I had a 1/48 Monogram 6-plane Blue Angel Delta hanging.  I listened as they chatted about the stabilators breaking off and their two solutions to it.  They mentioned Hertz frequencies that existed before the LEX fences and braces and the frequency the fence created to prevent the vibration of the fins and their breakage.  

I wondered as they talked just what the odds were that I would coincidentally hear the guys who solved that problem taking about it on Pensacola Beach ... Astronomical !!!

Some of this saga can be found in a book apparently no longer in my collection about the development of the Hornet.  

The Delta was destroyed  in Hurricane Ivan.  The pilots heads were sawed off and re-positioned to show as they would in the Delta and the formation was correctly positioned in 36-inch wingtip to canopy and vertical spacing.  
Shame the books gone missing thou !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

July 13th, 2018, 9:42 pm #15

George, thanks and my 1/72 Hasegawa kit DOES NOT have the 3 angle brackets
you speak of. It DOES have some scribing where they SHOULD be. The 1/72 Academy
kit DOES have the 3 angle brackets per tail however. My 1/72 Hasegawa kit also has the
2 different length ECM bumps under the intakes as you said, the right bump longer than the
left. I do remember making angles from scratch plastic once for a Hasegawa F/A-18A though.
Thanks again---John--- BTW below is Academy instructions -1/72-showing 3 angles.
Academy 1-72 F-A-18A.jpg
Last edited by john5953 on July 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm #16

Here's the scribing but NO angles on my 1/72 Hasegawa kit.---John
Hasegawa 1-72 F-A-18A tail.jpg

July 13th, 2018, 10:52 pm #17

john5953 wrote:Here's the scribing but NO angles on my 1/72 Hasegawa kit.---John
The Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18 was released prior to the introduction of the angle brackets and the vortex generators , including the The Blue Angle Kit . The angle brackets and the vortex generators were introduced to produce the C/D kits , if memory serves.

July 13th, 2018, 11:07 pm #18

No Vortex generators or angle brackets in these initial releases

July 14th, 2018, 12:29 am #19

Sorry, guys ... I usually work in 1/48 but didn't mention THAT !!  

Funny story for you (well, actually two with this John.  I know at least two Johns) ...  I went over to one of my modeler friends one day.  He was busy in his workshop and as I looked around at some of his projects I picked up a 1/72 F-18 to check it out.  Noticed something odd to me an asked, 

"John, why did you glue the LEX fences on backwards ?"

"I glued them on like the instructions said," he replied.

"Ah, come on, John ??"

Dang if he didn't pull them out and showed that ... Oh yes ... the instructions WERE incorrect !!!  

Another time, I stopped at his place, he was working on some god-awful UGLY airplane !!!  I asked, "Why are you building that ugly piece of crap ?"

"Cause it's got my two favorite things on it ~~ Shark's Mouths and Naked Women !!"  

Happy modeling, George Campbell 

And even though it is Red White and Blues (Blue Angels) week on Pensacola Beach ...

Am I going ?

Ain't no way in hell ... unless somebody takes me and brings me back in a helicopter !!!  That PLACE is a MAD-HOUSE and it will take the ENTIRE DAY as you must get there early and it will take all afternoon to get back to the mainland !!!  And hotter than hell out there too ... Love 'em, but No, No, No !!!   Did it back in 1990 when my son was in town, but I was only 45 then ~~~