F-86 'Jolley Roger' photo

F-86 'Jolley Roger' photo

June 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm #1

I'm busy with a diorama of the F-86 'Jolley Roger' 12834 in Korea.
If anybody have photos of this particular F-86 in Korea it would be much appreciated.
Any photos of Ground Support Equipment, fuel trucks etc, of this era will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by JolleyRoger on June 6th, 2012, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 6th, 2012, 4:15 pm #2

I believe in god and the only thing that scares me,,,,,,is Keyser Soze.

June 6th, 2012, 4:35 pm #3

If anybody have photos of this particular F-86 in Korea it would be much appreciated.
Any photos of Ground Support Equipment, fuel trucks etc, of this era will also be appreciated.
Thanks
Squadron has the start cart in 1/48 scale if that helps. Jolley Rogers was an F-86E-10 with the short cord wing with leading edge slats. Just curious, which correction kit are you using to make the wing accurate?

Also just an FYI, the cockpit should be all black, to include the head rest. I've seen a number of nicely done F-86s at shows but more often than not they screw up the cockpit and paint it grey like the later F-86Fs.

?t=1338999672

?t=1338999674

My dad flew the next two aircraft a number of times assigned to Robby Risner and Bud Mahurin. They show some ground support equipment that might help.

?t=1338999677

?t=1338999677

A close up of the F-86 start cart

?t=1338999671

June 6th, 2012, 4:46 pm #4

Thanks
In my previous post I sent some of -834 when it was with the 335th FIS. I have a couple when it was with the 336th FIS late in the war, 1953.

June 7th, 2012, 3:41 am #5

Thank you sir, this is very helpfull information.

I'm doing it in 1/72 scale, 335th FIS, the kit from Academy, using Eduard etched parts for the cockpit.

I will be using a PSP base, also from Eduard, for the diorama

Planning on building the start cart from scratch, as i doubt if is available in 1/72.

Very interesting about your dad, it is nice having this tpe of connection to the war.

My grandads brother flew F51's with 2 Squadron in Korea, he was lost in a midair sadly.

Last edited by JolleyRoger on June 7th, 2012, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2012, 5:26 am #6

What are you going to do about correcting the wings? The Academy kit is a re-boxing of the Hobbycraft kit. It's an F-86F wing with slats. In other words the leading edge meets the aircraft fuselage over lapping the ammo bay door/foot step for the pilot. The F-86F had a small wedge that could be removed at the wing root in order for the door to be opened. on F-86As and Es the wing meets the fuselage aft of the ammo bay door thus no interference and not removable wedge.

Also if you do intend to have a starter cart adjacent to the aircraft, having the ammo bay door open for the pilot to use to climb into the aircraft would be appropriate. Once the pilot had climbed aboard the armor would secure the door closed during start up.

June 7th, 2012, 5:07 pm #7

there are two solutions

one is to find a set of Scobie early wings with the correct chord and the slats

the other is the way we have had to do it all along,,,,,,,cut off the wing tip,,,,,remove the slatted area without damaging it,,,,,remove the long "6-3 sliver", reattach the leading edge, and the wing tip,,,,and fill and sand to fair it all in

I am having to do the same thing to Academy/Hobbycraft F-86E wings for my FJ-2/3 Fury conversions (I need to make 5 sets in total)

there are multiple places for the drawings to guide the work, now

there is Duncan's site,,,Jennings provided some wing "cut plans" a year or two ago, I believe Tommy's navy blog covers the work,,,,,and I don't have it yet, but someone said the new Sabre/Fury book by Jay Sherlock had the correct drawings in it

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

June 7th, 2012, 9:05 pm #8

Thanks

June 17th, 2012, 7:19 am #9

there are two solutions

one is to find a set of Scobie early wings with the correct chord and the slats

the other is the way we have had to do it all along,,,,,,,cut off the wing tip,,,,,remove the slatted area without damaging it,,,,,remove the long "6-3 sliver", reattach the leading edge, and the wing tip,,,,and fill and sand to fair it all in

I am having to do the same thing to Academy/Hobbycraft F-86E wings for my FJ-2/3 Fury conversions (I need to make 5 sets in total)

there are multiple places for the drawings to guide the work, now

there is Duncan's site,,,Jennings provided some wing "cut plans" a year or two ago, I believe Tommy's navy blog covers the work,,,,,and I don't have it yet, but someone said the new Sabre/Fury book by Jay Sherlock had the correct drawings in it

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/
Interesting, this is getting more complicated as I go along. Love a challenge though.

June 17th, 2012, 7:23 am #10

A beautifull bird, thanks!
Seems there is only one photo of this particular Sabre available.