F-8 Crusader

F-8 Crusader

June 7th, 2012, 5:55 pm #1

Got interested in the F-8 Crusader, so did some Google-action and reading. I was suprised to read that, if it were not for the Vietnam War, the Crusader would have remained in service for much longer than it did, but due to attrition they needed to switch to the F-4 Phantoms. Was also stunned to read that a pilot took off and landed an F-8 that still had it's wings folded! Wow.

June 7th, 2012, 6:36 pm #2

the original "big deck" air wings had one Crusader and one Phantom squadron in each

the Essex class operated the Crusader because the Phantom test on the Intrepid showed that deploying Phantoms on Essexes was not going to be feasible

so, as the Essex class wound down and became CVS ships, the Crusader squadrons gradually were disestablished or transitioned to Phantoms

the Hancock and Oriskany did make it into the seventies with their Crusaders, though

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

June 7th, 2012, 7:26 pm #3

Back when it happened (folded wings) there were photos of it flying in the RAF Flying Review Magazine.
I suppose if you scroll around enough you will find those photos.
He did a traffic pattern in it and landed back at his takeoff point.

June 7th, 2012, 10:58 pm #4

Got interested in the F-8 Crusader, so did some Google-action and reading. I was suprised to read that, if it were not for the Vietnam War, the Crusader would have remained in service for much longer than it did, but due to attrition they needed to switch to the F-4 Phantoms. Was also stunned to read that a pilot took off and landed an F-8 that still had it's wings folded! Wow.
Seems like every folded wing jet seems to have a story about a cat shot with the wings up

June 7th, 2012, 11:00 pm #5

The Crusader and the F-105 lives seemed really shorten by that War

June 7th, 2012, 11:51 pm #6

Like Rex said, the only reason it was kept around was because they couldn't use the F-4 on Essex class carriers. When they were gone, theyvhad no reasoon to keep the F-8 as fighters. I think they kept a few RF-8s a little longer. Remember that it was the plan to replace the F-8 with either the Crusader 3 or Phantom II before the U.S. involvement in Viet Nam war began. The F-8 was a good plane, the F-4 was better.

June 7th, 2012, 11:52 pm #7

Photo scanned from an old issue of The Hook. Credit the Tailhook Association.

Sven
Old Viper Tester

June 8th, 2012, 12:57 am #8

Tailhook down? Expecting a over-run on landing?

June 8th, 2012, 1:58 am #9

Having given up a lot of wing area...
http://mofak.com/Night_Infamy.htm

June 8th, 2012, 4:32 am #10

Actually, having the tail hook down on approach/landing, even at a land base was SOP because of their higher approach speeds...didn't have anything to do with flying with the outer wings folded.