F-51D Mustang "Surely Tis"

F-51D Mustang "Surely Tis"

March 26th, 2012, 3:35 pm #1

I'd been looking for a girly nose art for the post war F-51D to finish my Hase 1/72nd P-51D kit, but Google was not a good friend on this subject.
However, a good friend of mine told me that there was a small photo of Lt. Richard Chard's F-51D "Surely Tis" 40th FIS, 35th FIW on page 8 of Squadron book, Air War Over Korea. And I found another photo on page 81 of Schiffer book, Mustangs Over Korea, but both photos are too small to distinguish the artwork on the nose.
Thanks to Google this time, I found a fine up-close shot of "Surely Tis" at 1st Mob website.
http://1stmob.com/coppermine/displayima ... play_media

Finally I finished my Mustang in "Surely Tis" marking by printing home made decals for nose art, serials and buzz numbers with a Tattoo Seal.

Thanks for looking and will appreciate any comment.

Jun from Tokyo

March 26th, 2012, 5:07 pm #2

I like how this turned out. I've got the 1/72 Hasegawa kit that comes with a few Pin-Up type nose art and hope to build mine as nicely as yours. Great stuff.

Charles

March 26th, 2012, 5:13 pm #3

I'd been looking for a girly nose art for the post war F-51D to finish my Hase 1/72nd P-51D kit, but Google was not a good friend on this subject.
However, a good friend of mine told me that there was a small photo of Lt. Richard Chard's F-51D "Surely Tis" 40th FIS, 35th FIW on page 8 of Squadron book, Air War Over Korea. And I found another photo on page 81 of Schiffer book, Mustangs Over Korea, but both photos are too small to distinguish the artwork on the nose.
Thanks to Google this time, I found a fine up-close shot of "Surely Tis" at 1st Mob website.

Finally I finished my Mustang in "Surely Tis" marking by printing home made decals for nose art, serials and buzz numbers with a Tattoo Seal.

Jun from Tokyo

It's only a hobby..it's only a hobby..it's -

March 26th, 2012, 6:28 pm #4

Jun from Tokyo
Very well done, superb NMF and nice pics.

Serge Dompierre
Frog and Canuck and proud to be

March 26th, 2012, 7:56 pm #5

Jun from Tokyo
nice Korean War Stang!

March 26th, 2012, 9:28 pm #6

Jun from Tokyo
n/t

March 26th, 2012, 11:21 pm #7

Jun from Tokyo
when you first inquired. I didn't come up with anything. I have both of those books so obviously didn't look hard enough. That turned out really nice. Three of my favorite things: P-51's, Korean War Subjects and Girlie Art!

- David

David Rezabek
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
USA

March 26th, 2012, 11:45 pm #8

Jun from Tokyo
That's 1/72? Absolutely superb job Jun.

March 27th, 2012, 2:09 pm #9

Jun from Tokyo
Very many thanks for your comments. I'm very glad to hear that all of you like my Stang.

David, I very much appreciated your effort to search nose arts through all Mustang books.

March 29th, 2012, 4:04 am #10

Jun from Tokyo
And nice job on markings too.

Congratulations.

Eric B.