F-4E hard wing question

F-4E hard wing question

July 13th, 2011, 5:00 pm #1

Did anybody (kit manufacturer) do a tooled hard wing F-4E Phantom in 1/72 scale.

My old Fujimi kit F-4E has the slatted wing, and I believe the newer RoG kit of the F-4E/F has the slatted wing.

I guess worse cas scenario is I could buy a Fujimi F-4J and rob the wing from it.

Sincerely
Scotty B

July 13th, 2011, 6:43 pm #2

The regular EJ would have a non slatted wing. The EJ-Kias have a non-slatted wing, but their wing tips were modified with some ECM fairings similar to the late F-4E's of the USAF.
Last edited by MarkB007 on July 13th, 2011, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2011, 6:47 pm #3

Did anybody (kit manufacturer) do a tooled hard wing F-4E Phantom in 1/72 scale.

My old Fujimi kit F-4E has the slatted wing, and I believe the newer RoG kit of the F-4E/F has the slatted wing.

I guess worse cas scenario is I could buy a Fujimi F-4J and rob the wing from it.

Sincerely
Scotty B
High Scott,

as part of their "do all versions" molds, you can find hard wings on many of both Hasegawa and Fujimi long-nosed Phantoms.

For some reason however, they both seem to prefer to portray countless numbers of versions of japanese (F-4EJ) and slat-winged USAF F-4Es in their boxings, rather than early, Vietnam era, USAF ones. I can understand about the japanese versions for the domestic market, but their fixation with the slat-winged USAF Es is beyond me.

There are lots of different boxings but as japanese Phantoms never had the slats installed, it is a sure bet to buy one of them to produce an early USAF E. You would have to get some aftermarket decals, but all the necessary parts for an early USAF Phantom should be there, including the early gun muzzle.

Here's a Fujimi F-4E made "out of the box", although no mention of the boxing is made:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/G ... es/00.shtm

And you can click on the link below to check, among the many versions offered, which ones have the hard wings. Very useful site as when you click on the model of your interest you can see pictures of the bag contents:

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1 ... 72&SPage=1

I am currently working on this model to produce a Vietnam E as it provides the hard wing:

And I also have this one in the stash to produce another:

[/IMG]

It could be tedious, but hope you can find the right boxing to produce your hard wing Phantom!

Cheers,

Jorge.
Last edited by JorgeFigari on July 13th, 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 13th, 2011, 9:18 pm #4

the answers.

I had a feeling about the JASDF birds but wasn't 100% positive.

Thanks a bunch

Scotty B