F-4E Camo Demarcation

F-4E Camo Demarcation

January 31st, 2012, 1:27 pm #1

From what I can tell looking at reference photos, it seems that USAF Phantoms in Vietnam normally carried a hard edge between colours. That, or it was such a tight feathered edge that it would hardly be discernible in 1/48 scale. Can someone confirm this?

January 31st, 2012, 2:33 pm #2

The first set of F-4Cs deployed to Vietnam were painted in the US Navy scheme of Gull Gray over Gloss White. These were painted in the field with the T.O. 1-1-4 South East Asia scheme. Demarcations between colors were soft. As factory-painted F-4Ds and later F-4Es came into use, the demarcation lines were still soft but exhibited a tighter pattern than the earlier aircraft. There are some examples of hard lines (probably depot repaints) but I find them to be the exception to rule.

This F-4E image shows slightly soft demarcation lines:

Lee K
Last edited by leekol on January 31st, 2012, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 31st, 2012, 6:00 pm #3

From what I can tell looking at reference photos, it seems that USAF Phantoms in Vietnam normally carried a hard edge between colours. That, or it was such a tight feathered edge that it would hardly be discernible in 1/48 scale. Can someone confirm this?
as they were often repainted in the field. During my interview with Ed Rasimus he said that the maintenance crews took great care to keep the paint schemes as fresh as possible. Listen for yourself:

http://www.warbirdradio.com/2011/12/whe ... ef-roared/

There is even some YouTube video around of these aircraft being painted.

February 1st, 2012, 8:14 pm #4

Most had a pretty tight feathered edge, but I've never seen nor heard of one that was hard-edged.