F-4B Phantom, Diamondback markings

F-4B Phantom, Diamondback markings

July 18th, 2011, 3:26 pm #1

Hi again,

More questions! I've seen a number of photos where the rudder is red, and there is a 4-digit plane number (a portion of the BuNo?) on the front part of the fin. Also, big diamond on the spine. I've also seen some where the rudder is white, no plane number on fin, no diamond.

Does anyone know the chronology of these markings? I definitely want to do red rudder, big diamond on the top. I know there's an old SuperScale decal, but it doesn't look very accurate. I'd be fool enough to try to paint the diamonds, but the tail diamond with 'AF' could be a challenge! Any advice?

bob
"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

July 18th, 2011, 4:24 pm #2

The markings you mention with the red rudder and big diamond on the spine were when they originally got their F-4B's and cruised on the Enterprise. They had the AF tailcode at that point. The other set of markings you mention were when they were flying F-4J's. I believe they had an AG tailcode, but I'm going off the top of my head. The Superscale markings aren't accurate. CAM had a set that was somewhat better, although the diamond on the tail was a bit big and the white not fully opaque. I converted a Hasegawa F-4J into a B for an airwing project I did.

[/img]

July 18th, 2011, 5:04 pm #3

Hi again,

More questions! I've seen a number of photos where the rudder is red, and there is a 4-digit plane number (a portion of the BuNo?) on the front part of the fin. Also, big diamond on the spine. I've also seen some where the rudder is white, no plane number on fin, no diamond.

Does anyone know the chronology of these markings? I definitely want to do red rudder, big diamond on the top. I know there's an old SuperScale decal, but it doesn't look very accurate. I'd be fool enough to try to paint the diamonds, but the tail diamond with 'AF' could be a challenge! Any advice?

bob
Enterprise used the AF tail code for its air group up until the first full deployment that began in February 1963. On one of the earlier short cruises or outings, a visiting congressman reportedly commented on Air Force (AF) airplanes being operated from Navy carriers. In any event, the CVG-6 tail code was changed to AE as shown here, although this might be a 1964 picture. Note that there is no diamond on the top of the fuselage.

July 18th, 2011, 6:51 pm #4

Why is it that the military always has to change things for the stupid politicians? Why can't someone tell them they don't know what they're talking about? The other two I remember are that the Blackbird was supposed to be the RS-71, but (I think it was Lyndon Johnson) called it the SR-71, so that's what it became. More recently, the new JSF was supposed to be the F-24, but some schmuck called it the F-35, so we now have a huge gap in the nomenclature system because some politician can't admit he made a mistake.

July 18th, 2011, 7:15 pm #5

The markings you mention with the red rudder and big diamond on the spine were when they originally got their F-4B's and cruised on the Enterprise. They had the AF tailcode at that point. The other set of markings you mention were when they were flying F-4J's. I believe they had an AG tailcode, but I'm going off the top of my head. The Superscale markings aren't accurate. CAM had a set that was somewhat better, although the diamond on the tail was a bit big and the white not fully opaque. I converted a Hasegawa F-4J into a B for an airwing project I did.

[/img]
...VF-102 was aboard Indy with F-4J's.

July 18th, 2011, 7:36 pm #6

Enterprise used the AF tail code for its air group up until the first full deployment that began in February 1963. On one of the earlier short cruises or outings, a visiting congressman reportedly commented on Air Force (AF) airplanes being operated from Navy carriers. In any event, the CVG-6 tail code was changed to AE as shown here, although this might be a 1964 picture. Note that there is no diamond on the top of the fuselage.
Ya know we have the best politicaians money can buy !!!

July 18th, 2011, 9:17 pm #7

[/img]
CVG-13 had just recently stood down, after the Constellation's shake down cruise,,or who know's what CVG-6 would have wound up with

the chronology in broad groups was AF on the Enterprise, followed by AE,,,,,continuing with AE while the wing was on America, then AG when the fighter pair was moved to join CVW-7 on Independence,,,,last was AE still on Independence,,,,the "AF on the Independence" model in a model guide book is a small error, just don't follow that as a reference,,,except that it will help you somewhat,,,,it's of a "big diamond" aircraft, and used the CAM 1/48 decals, with conversion to an F-4J

hope this helps some

Rex

one from each squadron??,,"geeez Rex, how many display cases will that take up?"

http://hangardeckview.blogspot.com/

July 19th, 2011, 8:53 am #8

with the diamond on it? Some sort of avionics pack?

bob

"Ignorance is bliss, but I find learning more interesting." - Me, as far as I know

July 19th, 2011, 10:06 am #9

fairing atop the fin???

[/IMG]

I've never seen THAT before!

Jorge.
Last edited by JorgeFigari on July 19th, 2011, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 19th, 2011, 10:47 am #10

with the diamond on it? Some sort of avionics pack?

bob
...for some reason, I am tempted to say it may very well be a travel pod.

[/IMG]

Somebody will surely know better.

Jorge.