F-15A in 1/48?

July 11th, 2018, 2:24 pm #1

Do the recommendations for the F-15C hold true for the F-15A?

1.) Hasegawa
2.) Monogram
3.) Tamiya
4.) Fujimi
5.) Italeri & Academy

Or would I get better results taking an F-15C kit and "convert" it back to an F-15A? The exhausts I know would need to be backdated, any other cosmetic changes?

This is for a "far future" (after I retire) build, so no rush…
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

"The more I deal with people, the more I like my dog."

July 11th, 2018, 5:03 pm #2

Many of the differences are more related to MSIP than to F-15A vs F-15C, thus it depends on time frame. Early F-15As had different wheels, different formation lights on the aft fuselage, different antenna fit, different AIM-9 launchers (most kits still have the early LAU-114 launchers), different instrument panel, tailhook fairing, fuel dump vents, JFS exhaust... Very early F-15As had turkey feathers on the exhausts and a stiffening rib on the speed brake, and very very early F-15s had ESCAPAC seats.

Off the top of my head, the only F-15C features that were not retrofitted to F-15As were the CFT mounting points, and an additional radar waveguide to the ECM antenna in front of the windscreen... but I'm sure that there must be others.

Short answer: you'll likely be correcting details anyhow, so start with a good kit.
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

August 14th, 2018, 2:31 am #3

I used the Hasegawa F-15J boxing to do my early F-15A in the Air Superiority Blue scheme. I don't know if I hit all the marks that Todd outlines above, not an F-15 expert or anything here but I went off of as many reference pics as I could scrounge up. I picked that kit mainly because I knew it came with the exhaust pipes with "turkey feathers"...of course I ended up using Aires pipes anyway, and the instrument panel was a pre MSIP type. For the early wheels, I got a set of the old Monogram F-15 kit wheels. I used the outer side only, mating them to the inner side of the Hasegawa wheels so that attaching them to the strut wouldn't be a hassle. I closed the speed brake because the early ones were structurally different inside and added that strengthening strake from a piece of plastic.

DSC_0001_zpsc3zqccan.jpg
Andrew White

August 14th, 2018, 12:46 pm #4

Very nice, Andrew, that's what I'm hoping mine will look like. I've got about half a dozen or so bottles of Polly-S Air Superiority Blue stashed somewhere. I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out what to thin with and what thinner:paint ratio to use.
Barring that, is their any other good brand of enamel paint (Xtracolour maybe?) with Air Superiority Blue in their line?
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

August 14th, 2018, 2:08 pm #5

Don McIntyre wrote: Very nice, Andrew, that's what I'm hoping mine will look like. I've got about half a dozen or so bottles of Polly-S Air Superiority Blue stashed somewhere. I'm hoping I'll be able to figure out what to thin with and what thinner:paint ratio to use.
Barring that, is their any other good brand of enamel paint (Xtracolour maybe?) with Air Superiority Blue in their line?
Thank you Don!

I used Gunze Mr. Color H74 Air Superiority Blue on that one. Solvent based acrylic, the stuff shoots fantastic using their Leveling thinner. The only other ASB paint I've seen is in the Hataka line of acrylics (https://www.emodels.co.uk/hataka-ultima ... -as43.html), I don't think Xtra Colour makes a tin of it.

Attached is the T.O. showing the application of flat and gloss areas. According to Jim Rotramel (one of our club members up here at NAS Pax) the underside gloss was chosen for ease of keeping the undersides clean. It does not show the demarcation line between gloss and flat along the forward fuselage, so I made and educated guess, leaving the radome flat. Drop tanks were painted gloss as well.

F-15 Air Superiority Blue Scheme.jpeg
Andrew White

August 14th, 2018, 4:17 pm #6

That's gorgeous!
Todd Enlund

August 14th, 2018, 7:52 pm #7

Todd Enlund wrote: That's gorgeous!
Thanks Todd!

I don't think the F-15A ever got certified to carry GBU-8s operationally...but came across this photo of a 57th Wing bird carrying one and couldn't resist slapping it on.

751118-F15A 73-0085 LA-OT.jpg

The one I did build (088) has the dubious distinction of being the first F-15A to crash. Generator failure and fire, pilot punched out, a OK.

750400-F15A 73-0088-LA555.jpg
Andrew White

August 14th, 2018, 8:22 pm #8

Whitey wrote: I don't think the F-15A ever got certified to carry GBU-8s operationally...but came across this photo of a 57th Wing bird carrying one and couldn't resist slapping it on.

751118-F15A 73-0085 LA-OT.jpg
I worked on 73-085 when she was in the LAANG. First production F-15.
Todd Enlund

August 14th, 2018, 9:05 pm #9

Nice photos, Whitey. I've got the same TO 1-1-4 page you've got. Mine is from May 89. I was kind of surprised that at that late date it still had ASB in it. I also thought it was odd that they didn't provide side drawings to go with it.
Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

August 17th, 2018, 3:05 am #10

Andrew, pray tell, what decals did you use for your gorgeous 1/48 bird?