F-14A Tomcat ...HUD?

F-14A Tomcat ...HUD?

March 23rd, 2012, 10:53 pm #1

Did the early F-14A Tomcats, such as portrayed by Monograms original 1/48 scale F-14A, have a HUD sight? and If so what did it look like? I Know the F-14 that Tom Cruise flew in "TOP GUN" in one scene didn't have one, but the other in-flight scenes seemed to indicate that one was being used to target the 'enemy' a/c in dogfights.

March 23rd, 2012, 10:59 pm #2

The movie prop Cruise was flying didn't have one because he wasn't really flying it and it wasn't really an F-14.

March 23rd, 2012, 11:12 pm #3

Did the early F-14A Tomcats, such as portrayed by Monograms original 1/48 scale F-14A, have a HUD sight? and If so what did it look like? I Know the F-14 that Tom Cruise flew in "TOP GUN" in one scene didn't have one, but the other in-flight scenes seemed to indicate that one was being used to target the 'enemy' a/c in dogfights.
All F-14's had them, though the A's HUD data was projected onto the front windscreen instead of a seperate glass. The D had a seperate HUD sight where the data was projected.

As for the B's, I can't remember, but I think it was the same as the A's.

If you loan someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it.

March 23rd, 2012, 11:52 pm #4

I concur for the "A" model birds. The 'gunsight' projected onto the inside of the flat portion of the windscreen.

March 24th, 2012, 12:43 am #5

All F-14's had them, though the A's HUD data was projected onto the front windscreen instead of a seperate glass. The D had a seperate HUD sight where the data was projected.

As for the B's, I can't remember, but I think it was the same as the A's.

If you loan someone $20 and you never see them again, it was probably worth it.
They may have started out with the data projected on the windscreen like the -A, but later in life they got a dual glass HUD.

March 24th, 2012, 1:19 am #6

...contact me offline if you like...

Cheers!

Rich

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In memory of Thomas E. Myers
Chief Know-it-all & Part-time Churl
(1961-2008)

"Now go build something!" --Thom Myers