F-14A 1/32

F-14A 1/32

March 30th, 2012, 4:39 pm #1

If you were to build a 1/32 F-14A Tomcat, would you all go with Tamiya or Trumpeter?

Thanks,
James Sontag

March 30th, 2012, 4:55 pm #2

The Trumpeter kit has horribly mis-shapen intakes (among other problems). It may be fixable, but it ain't easy.

March 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm #3

Unless its been revised the cockpit surfaces are all smooth with simplistic black and white decals for all of the consoles and panels. The surface texture was a strange mix of raised and recessed panels. Not the lines but the panels themselves. One panel would stick up a bit and the next was recessed slightly. It looked like an uneven tile floor. Fit was not great and some areas were a bit sloppy like the screws that hold the main body together were not totally hidden by the Phoenix missile fairings.

The revised version of the Revell kit (compared to the orginal issue) is not too bad. I thought in some ways the cockpit was better OOTB. Both kits would need some serious detailing.

March 30th, 2012, 7:20 pm #4

If you were to build a 1/32 F-14A Tomcat, would you all go with Tamiya or Trumpeter?

Thanks,
James Sontag
I have buit three of the Tamiya F-14's and the Trumpeter kits in my opinion are much better kits. The Trumpeter kit is more accurate in the front windscreen and nose profile also.

If you want to depict and early F-14A you will have to go with the Trumnpeter F-14A kit as the Tamiya kit has the later style gun gas vents.

Here is my observations from building both the Tamiya and Trumpeter kits.

Tamiya kit:
Raised panel lines on the model except the front fuselage area.
No Cockpit what so ever.
Front fuselage has protruding panels that will need to be sanded down and rescribed.
The arrestor hook is terrible.
The speed brake well is incorrect and not deep enough.
No ducting inside the air intakes.
The rear fuselage to engine joint does not match up and is impossible to fix correctly as it is out of profile.
The intakes and the large panel underneath the fuselage fit terrible.
The panel lines under the intakes disappear and need rescribing.

The Trumpeter has some faults:
The gear is not as well detailed as the Tamiya kit.
The profile of the intakes is slightly off but can be thinned to look much better, but there is and aftermarket set soon for it. You would have to buy a new cockpit for the Tamiya F-14 so that evens the two out.
The intake ramps are incorrect in the instructions but swap them over and they are good.
Open panels. I do not like them but that is just me.
Closing the flaps and slats up and spoilers takes a lot of careful fitting to have them look good. But I saved time by not rescribing the kit.

Take a look over at ARC front page there is one there now you can take a look at and see what it looks like finished. It is a nice kit and I have three of them.

If you want an 1/32 scale F-14 none of them will be an easy build straight out of the box.
HTH

March 30th, 2012, 8:21 pm #5

Big time. Thank you so much for the information comparing the two. Sounds like the Trumpeter kit is the better one, so to speak.

March 30th, 2012, 10:34 pm #6

If you close the panels on the forward fuselage you will need to add a very small amount of plastic strip, 5 thou will do to the edges of each panel then sand them until they fit. This way they will fit perfectly and you will preserve the panel lines and will not have to sand or rescribe. It is very easy to do.

Did you check out the F-14 on the front page of ARC? The builder did a really nice job of it and he used the kit intakes.

Good luck with it.

March 30th, 2012, 10:47 pm #7

I saw one for an F-14D, was that the one you were refering to or do I need to scroll down more? Thank you for pointing me to that site.

James

March 31st, 2012, 12:23 am #8

Thanks,
James Sontag
Despite the best efforts of the anti Chinese mafia the Trumpeter kit s still a better starting point than Tamiya.
Check our ARC there are several builds and the same question has been asked several times..
In short better front fuselage better weapons better wing..intake fronts non parallel but only visible from front and if it bugs you that much new ones from Zactoman on the way.
Both end up looking like F14s but if your splitting hairs the Trump kit wins easily on points.
Time to spare..go by air!

March 31st, 2012, 12:44 am #9

The Trumpeter kit has horribly mis-shapen intakes (among other problems). It may be fixable, but it ain't easy.
So I gather the fact you ignore the mix-sharpen Tamiya front fuselage is far more easily fixable?
First the intakes are not "terribly" misshapen in the same as the Tamiya front fuselage is as they can only see it from the front. Same with the Tamiya front end..
I mean seriously I can point you at several builds where even your eye won't be able to tell if they are fixed or not..Even the ahasegawa kit intakes are non parallel..yet have I ever heard one squeak about that issue??
For those who want 100% accuracy as opposed to 95% a replacement set is coming from Zactoman which will fix the only issue as most people see it.
As opposed to the Tamiya kit which you blindly advocate where shall we start..
Well they only do an A for a start to bad if you want a D or B..
Incorrect canopy,incorrect front fuselage,only half scribed,incorrect modern fit out, no flaps or slats or refueling probe for those after an Iranian cat, COMPLETE LACK OF A COCKPIT!...shall I continue as I'm on a day off and have plenty of time to list the cons of the Tamiya F14 and why the Trumpeter one from an independent view is far better value..
Time to spare..go by air!

March 31st, 2012, 12:53 am #10

Despite the best efforts of the anti Chinese mafia the Trumpeter kit s still a better starting point than Tamiya.
Check our ARC there are several builds and the same question has been asked several times..
In short better front fuselage better weapons better wing..intake fronts non parallel but only visible from front and if it bugs you that much new ones from Zactoman on the way.
Both end up looking like F14s but if your splitting hairs the Trump kit wins easily on points.
A brand new kit cheaper that a 30yr old kit?

Not a fan of the Chinese business practices myself, but have to be honest - nobody is complaining about the price Tamiya is asking for that OLD MOLDS ALREADY PAID FOR KIT, but they bash other companies. And Trumpeter made a new tooling and is selling for the same price or less?

Why does Tamiya get a pass on charging $200 MSRP on that kit????

And, I'm not usually a fan of resin aftermarket by Aires - usually good quality but VERY expensive. EXCEPT - the Wheeliant wheels are beautiful for the F-14; well worth the $14 - can't believe I ever paid that much for resin wheels!
Last edited by jfgesquire on March 31st, 2012, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.