Evergreen Air Museum - Question for Portland area Hyperscalers. . .

Evergreen Air Museum - Question for Portland area Hyperscalers. . .

April 10th, 2012, 7:31 pm #1

I am in Portland on business and will have about 5 hours tomorrow to drive down to the Evergreen Air Museum and then back to the airport to catch my flight out. Is that enough time? I will be leaving from the downtown area around 8:00 a.m. and need to be back at the airport in time to drop off the rental car and make a 4:10 flight.

It is better to be the stomper rather than the stompee!
It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!

April 10th, 2012, 7:36 pm #2

...it's maybe 40 minutes from downtown.

April 10th, 2012, 7:42 pm #3

I am in Portland on business and will have about 5 hours tomorrow to drive down to the Evergreen Air Museum and then back to the airport to catch my flight out. Is that enough time? I will be leaving from the downtown area around 8:00 a.m. and need to be back at the airport in time to drop off the rental car and make a 4:10 flight.

It takes just a hair over an hour to get from the airport to the museum if traffic is light. You may be hard pressed to see everything in a couple of hours, especially if you're really into space related stuff, but it's a fantastic place to see.

Mike

April 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm #4

and well worth it!

Look, when a vastly superior alien culture comes all this way to take over your world, certain basic laws of planetary conquest apply. For example, when someone points a Quad Vectored Hypo Thermic Cosmo Blaster at you, it's a fair bet you are about to become toast. And in your case, a whole loaf of toast!

April 10th, 2012, 7:46 pm #5

I think you'd be seriously pushing your luck, you are not allowing yourself a worthwhile amount of time at the museum at best, and I have seen some horrendous traffic jams on the way to and from McMinnville and Portland (it is not all freeway, a lot of it is two lanes through various towns). I'd advise checking out the Pearson museum across the river in Vancouver for a little air museum fix and maybe Bridgetown Hobbies and Powell's.
Just my two pesos, of course.

~Mr. BoxShaker
~ Mr. BoxShaker

April 10th, 2012, 7:47 pm #6

While you're in town, be sure to hit Powell's Books tonight, and get a pint over at Henry's 12th St. Tavern... nice place, good selection, great food.

Lynn (loves Portland almost as much as my own hometown)

"History is not 'was', it 'is'." - William Faulkner

April 10th, 2012, 9:21 pm #7

Evergreen has an impresive fleet of aircraft!

April 10th, 2012, 9:33 pm #8

...if there is little traffic. However, there is almost always traffic, especially in Dundee. You can do it, but you may wish you had more time there, especially if you want to see both museums. If this is the only chance you'll likely have, then go for it!

Like others have said, go to Powell's and get lost. More books than you can imagine. Henry's 12th street is okay, but I'd recommend Deschutes, which is equally as close to Powell's, or for the ultimate, get the Kobe burger at Rogue on 14th and Flanders, a 5 block walk away.

Todd Enlund

"Bandits at 3 O'Clock"
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"
Todd Enlund

"Bandits at three o'clock."
"Roger. What should I do 'till then?"

April 10th, 2012, 11:36 pm #9

Evergreen has an impresive fleet of aircraft!
Too much BS from the USFS. They do have an impressive collection of aircraft. I remember seeing five of their 747s on the ramp at McClellan in Sacramento a couple years ago.

Cheers, Terry

April 11th, 2012, 12:48 am #10

I am going to try to get there by opening time (9:00 a.m.) to maximize my time on target.

It is better to be the Stomper rather than the Stompee!