Essex class port side elevator question.

Essex class port side elevator question.

April 30th, 2011, 9:28 pm #1

I appeal to you experts to not laugh. I have tried to find the answer myself. but no joy. Did the port side elevators on Essex class carriers fold up into a raised position? And if so, for what reason? Or were they always in a flat horizontal position?

April 30th, 2011, 9:33 pm #2

book i read, amongst other things it allowed them to pass through the panama canal.

April 30th, 2011, 9:51 pm #3

So would it be silly if I displayed the elevator in the folded up and vertical position on my 700 scale Randolf? I actually managed to get all that nice photo etch installed on the underside. Shame to not show it off.

May 2nd, 2011, 12:36 pm #4

I appeal to you experts to not laugh. I have tried to find the answer myself. but no joy. Did the port side elevators on Essex class carriers fold up into a raised position? And if so, for what reason? Or were they always in a flat horizontal position?
[/IMG]

Here's the elevator in the normal position

[/IMG]

If you want the full-size 3mb versions of these pics, let me know. You'll notice that the safety netting on the edge of the elevator folds down when then elevator is up.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeffery_Herne on May 2nd, 2011, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 2nd, 2011, 5:12 pm #5

Thanks for posting. I'll be using these for other details on the island.

Jonathan Primm
Jonathan Primm

May 2nd, 2011, 6:50 pm #6

[/IMG]

Here's the elevator in the normal position

[/IMG]

If you want the full-size 3mb versions of these pics, let me know. You'll notice that the safety netting on the edge of the elevator folds down when then elevator is up.

Jeff
had the same feature on both port and starboard elevators and was often used when entering port to save space.

May 2nd, 2011, 9:14 pm #7

Thanks for posting. I'll be using these for other details on the island.
I have several hundred Essex class detail shots I can post to my Photobucket account if you need them.

J