Eddie Allen Part 5

Eddie Allen Part 5

December 31st, 2011, 8:15 pm #1

I got him done just in time for the end of the year! The last couple of weeks were spent, when not attending to the Real World, in the plethora of small bits which are dotted around the airframe. As I'd reamed out the cooling fans on the engine cowlings, they now no longer fitted on the nacelles as Airfix intended. I started by fixing the engines direcrly to the nacelles- Airfix give you a representation of both rows of cylinders, which is nice. Realising that most of this would be hidden, I sprayed them silver and a wash of black picked out the moulded details-

Photos show that the opening panels on the cowlings were a markedly different tone from the other bits. This is simulated with Bare-Metal foil-

To complete the high tech computer-aided laser precision of the engine installation, I wanted something which would allow a degree of adjustability on the final stages of assembly. Rather than micro-machining a set of adjustable cowling supports, I did this-

Worked a treat!

Attention now turned to the turrets. Airfix provide a basic set of bits. By the time it has got to this mid-1980's pressing, the fit and moulding left a little to be desired.

I got rid of the bulk of the nastiness with shims of plastic card and superglue, but in the fullness of time, I'll replace the turrets with those from an Academy kit in the Great Future World Of The Shed where limitless space and time will permit construction of a fleet of B-29's, some without turrets!

I replaced the kit undercarriage with oleos from Scale Aircraft Conversions, and wheels from True Details. Quite a lot of fiddling went into detailing the insides of the undercarriage doors, but I was getting the urge to finish the project and so in my fervid throes, omitted to take any pictures. However, after much fettling, it is my great relief to pronounce that at 18.45 GMT today, Eddie Allen was rolled out onto the table in the shed-

Old decals worked a treat- white glue is still drying in the cabin window here, by the way! I'll need to have a little fiddle with the nosewheel, to get the flats lined up properly.

Two classic Airfix biggies-

Thanks to everyone for all the support and kind comments. With the very irregular hours I work, I can't really get to a model club, so it's been wonderful to experience modelling as a wider activity! In keeping with the time of year, here's my other builds for 2011-

F-14

I had a bit of a Mosquito frenzy in the summer- here's three I did, along with one from Christmas 1977!

This one very much inspired by the prodigious Mr. Buttrick!

34 years old! with 34 years of dust!

And from January and February, the 1/48 B-57

Have a wonderful new year everybody,

More from the shed next year,

Pete

December 31st, 2011, 8:50 pm #2

That's superb work Pete, well done! I will get round to refurbishing my B-29 in 2012: it was originally built probably in 1974 or 5) and partially dismembered by my son when he was somewhere between one and two years old. I like the other models particularly that B-17G. I'll fall of my chair if you tell me that started as the Airfix kit.... Happy New Year. Jonathan

December 31st, 2011, 9:18 pm #3

I got him done just in time for the end of the year! The last couple of weeks were spent, when not attending to the Real World, in the plethora of small bits which are dotted around the airframe. As I'd reamed out the cooling fans on the engine cowlings, they now no longer fitted on the nacelles as Airfix intended. I started by fixing the engines direcrly to the nacelles- Airfix give you a representation of both rows of cylinders, which is nice. Realising that most of this would be hidden, I sprayed them silver and a wash of black picked out the moulded details-

Photos show that the opening panels on the cowlings were a markedly different tone from the other bits. This is simulated with Bare-Metal foil-

To complete the high tech computer-aided laser precision of the engine installation, I wanted something which would allow a degree of adjustability on the final stages of assembly. Rather than micro-machining a set of adjustable cowling supports, I did this-

Worked a treat!

Attention now turned to the turrets. Airfix provide a basic set of bits. By the time it has got to this mid-1980's pressing, the fit and moulding left a little to be desired.

I got rid of the bulk of the nastiness with shims of plastic card and superglue, but in the fullness of time, I'll replace the turrets with those from an Academy kit in the Great Future World Of The Shed where limitless space and time will permit construction of a fleet of B-29's, some without turrets!

I replaced the kit undercarriage with oleos from Scale Aircraft Conversions, and wheels from True Details. Quite a lot of fiddling went into detailing the insides of the undercarriage doors, but I was getting the urge to finish the project and so in my fervid throes, omitted to take any pictures. However, after much fettling, it is my great relief to pronounce that at 18.45 GMT today, Eddie Allen was rolled out onto the table in the shed-

Old decals worked a treat- white glue is still drying in the cabin window here, by the way! I'll need to have a little fiddle with the nosewheel, to get the flats lined up properly.

Thanks to everyone for all the support and kind comments. With the very irregular hours I work, I can't really get to a model club, so it's been wonderful to experience modelling as a wider activity! In keeping with the time of year, here's my other builds for 2011-

F-14

I had a bit of a Mosquito frenzy in the summer- here's three I did, along with one from Christmas 1977!

Pete
Superb NMF on the B-29, the others are very pleasing on the eye, too.

Cheers

Stu

"How often do you guys go on a bender ?
This isn't a bender, this is night time!"

Air America

December 31st, 2011, 9:33 pm #4

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
will add you to the prize draw, well done!

December 31st, 2011, 10:05 pm #5

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
"Spectacular" doesn't begin to describe it.

December 31st, 2011, 10:21 pm #6

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
The sound of my jaw hitting the floor

Splendid work on that B-29 - and even in a short time (well, shorter then I would need to finish such a big thing)

Also congrats on all your other builds - they are maverlous - good to have you on board here

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / in Prague / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII - Part VIII - Part IX - Part X/End
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

December 31st, 2011, 10:53 pm #7

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
That B29 came out well - it isn't an easy kit, n/t

December 31st, 2011, 11:08 pm #8

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
A fantastic job then on all the models!

But the Eddie Allen is a beauty!

Greg in OK

January 1st, 2012, 12:10 am #9

Totally concur on what you said great stuff

January 1st, 2012, 1:05 am #10

Worked a treat!

F-14

Pete
You've really done Airfix proud! I'm particularly amazed at Eddie's cockpit transparency--smoooooth!

Stuart