Ebay buyer madness...madness I tell you..

Ebay buyer madness...madness I tell you..

April 11th, 2012, 9:14 pm #1

There was a Collect-Aire 1/32 T-28C trainer on ebay that was at $46.00 a few days ago...it sold for $750.00 freaking dollars...Is someone suffering from acute madness?
BTW apologies to the doctor on Bridge on the River Kwai

April 11th, 2012, 9:57 pm #2

things that "they don't make any more" are generally appreciating like there is no (literally) tomorrow.
From TVR and air-cooled Porsches to Leica and Rollieflex.. Wanna buy a film camera for $8K?

Think about it: in 5 years time, where will you have the $750? Huh? But you can open the CA T-28C box, pull references... you know the drill. What's money?

April 11th, 2012, 10:01 pm #3

There was a Collect-Aire 1/32 T-28C trainer on ebay that was at $46.00 a few days ago...it sold for $750.00 freaking dollars...Is someone suffering from acute madness?
I think many who bid on ebay, are addicted to it in a way like gamblers can be. They just have to win something and will often bid much more than it is worth just to win it.

That's just my observation.

I'm always there however and I do believe I suffer from some sort of obsessive behavior too.

Take care,
Doug

April 11th, 2012, 10:14 pm #4

not get something for half price or less, I will not bid. Like the 1/32 Arado Ar-196 I won at auction...for$20.02. Oh Dmitri, money is nothing if you have plenty of it but I am an old fogey on a fixed income.
Ken

April 11th, 2012, 10:33 pm #5

I would imagine myself, if I was a 1/32 guy, my stash would probably be 20-40 kits. So to me, buying a $750 kit would be a one time expense in like 2 years. It's just me, I'm just saying but there is merit to it. And the guy obviously wanted the kit BAD!

April 12th, 2012, 12:13 am #6

will pay what the item is worth to them. Said kit, to me, is not worth $750.00.....not even close, however, the winning bidder felt it was worth the money. OTOH, I agree it can sometimes be a "win at all costs" proposition.
When I bid on ebay, I place exactly one bid. That bid is the most I'm prepared to pay for the item, and I will place it in the last 5 seconds of the auction....no sense in giving any other bidders the chance to out-bid me. If I win, great - I'm happy. If not, then the item was too expensive, anyway. They're like busses....another along soon enough.
Except a Marui 1/36 Cessna 172 or Cherokee 140. Anybody got one they don't want?

April 12th, 2012, 1:18 am #7

bid $749.50 and DID NOT WIN!!

I think the screwy high prices are a sign that the fix is in somewhere.

Let's examine a hypothetical scenario (go with me here):
A couple of guys are bidding on a plane model and the price sits calmly at $35. Here comes a guy who notices that the markings are the same for his dad's plane in Vietnam and he simply MUST have it. He bids $1000 because he wants it bad. This jolts the $35 bid up to $75.50 immediately because that was the highest non-winning bid at the time. One of the original bidders is out (he obviously was out at $34.50) and the other decides to poke in a bid of $90, just to see. Bid jumps to $90.50 at which point he says "too rich for my blood" and the third bidder eventually gets it at that price and no one knows what his "high price" was.

The fact that it gets to $750 means TWO people were going crazy... so it would seem.

Let me take look back my US history lessons (grade school in the '70s) to the stock practices that helped lead to the crash of '29. Our teacher simplified it as two people would repeatedly trade a stock to run the price up as much as possible. A third person (the sucker) would join in and each would progressively make money on every trade... until the first two SUDDENLY stopped playing and took their money home leaving the chump with a super-overvaluated (worthless) stock and no cash.

Seems the same with the hyper-inflated kit auctions.

I read here on hyperscale some disturbing news about ebay, that many people DO NOT PAY and that the penalty seems to be lax or unenforced?!!!

So if I wanted to sell a kit and had an accomplice (or a second account) I could wait until a few bidders got in there and then put in a fake high bid. If too high I can just "not pay". Best case scenario is that I ensure that I get the maximum bid out of the legit bidders.

Have not been on ebay in a couple years except for the times that someone here on hyperscale points out one of the silly auctions. Seems unreal... and therefore highly unsafe. Some people are obviously getting screwed, so if you don't know how it is happening, it is probably happening to you.

Steve Heeb; Puyallup, WA
In fond memory of Loran B Heeb
"Ol' Scrapiron"
447th BG; Rattlesden England

April 12th, 2012, 6:51 am #8

Wow, to be that seller-a good day! Even better if he has two so he can give a Second Chance Offer...

April 12th, 2012, 4:06 pm #9

not get something for half price or less, I will not bid. Like the 1/32 Arado Ar-196 I won at auction...for$20.02. Oh Dmitri, money is nothing if you have plenty of it but I am an old fogey on a fixed income.
Ken
I buy older kits that are cheaper than the models you buy today. I also get value in what I buy. I prefer to buy airfix and revell of germany. I get good value out of the kits.

patron saint of unloved model kits

long live airfix, death to the heretics

April 12th, 2012, 10:43 pm #10

Wow, to be that seller-a good day! Even better if he has two so he can give a Second Chance Offer...