Duxford 1938, pt. 6

Duxford 1938, pt. 6

January 23rd, 2012, 10:55 am #1

Happy Chinese New Year! The holiday has given me more modelling time than usual, so the Spitfire is moving right along. In this installment: the dreaded decals.

I started with non-decals; I decide to paint the thin lines on the wings instead of fussing with the decal lines. First, a bit of masking (I'm paranoid about overspray; once burned twice cautious):

and the results:

The above photo also shows the effect of three coats of Future--slicker 'n an eel in a bucket of snot. Trying hard to convince the decals to be nice to me.

Then the decalling began, staring with the bottom. I resolved to use every single stencil called for:

Then the top:

The decals went on very well and are nice and opaque, though maybe a bit thick. I used Micro Set and Micro Sol, to which the decals reacted well (although I'm still waiting for the wrinkles to resolve themselves on the port wing roundel).

You may have noticed that I have not followed the kit instructions for wing roundel placement. There's only supposed to be one upper wing roundel; the other one is supposed to go on the underside of the white wing. That is in fact correct, though strange looking. I've seen photographs showing it that way. But, tough. I want my Spitfire with the more usual marking, so I put both roundels on top. Evidently there was quite a bit of experimenting with roundel types and positions in the late '30s.

Note that the blue isn't really that light; that's an artifact of the lighting. You may also notice some silvering, despite the bucket of snot. I'm hoping that will disappear under another gloss coat of Future followed by a matte coat.

So I exhale a sigh of relief; I'm basically out of the woods on decalling this one. Next, a gloss coat followed by a dark wash for the control surface lines, then a matte coat, final assembly and weathering. Not sure if I'll finish before leaving for Hong Kong on Thursday, but I'll try.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Last edited by StuartMilliken on January 23rd, 2012, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 23rd, 2012, 11:37 am #2

An inspiration to us all- I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that even after all these years and thousands of Spitfires, a beautifully made green and brown Mk. 1 still brings a sense of weakness to the knees!

January 23rd, 2012, 12:33 pm #3

Happy Chinese New Year! The holiday has given me more modelling time than usual, so the Spitfire is moving right along. In this installment: the dreaded decals.

I started with non-decals; I decide to paint the thin lines on the wings instead of fussing with the decal lines. First, a bit of masking (I'm paranoid about overspray; once burned twice cautious):

and the results:

The above photo also shows the effect of three coats of Future--slicker 'n an eel in a bucket of snot. Trying hard to convince the decals to be nice to me.

Then the decalling began, staring with the bottom. I resolved to use every single stencil called for:

Then the top:

The decals went on very well and are nice and opaque, though maybe a bit thick. I used Micro Set and Micro Sol, to which the decals reacted well (although I'm still waiting for the wrinkles to resolve themselves on the port wing roundel).

You may have noticed that I have not followed the kit instructions for wing roundel placement. There's only supposed to be one upper wing roundel; the other one is supposed to go on the underside of the white wing. That is in fact correct, though strange looking. I've seen photographs showing it that way. But, tough. I want my Spitfire with the more usual marking, so I put both roundels on top. Evidently there was quite a bit of experimenting with roundel types and positions in the late '30s.

Note that the blue isn't really that light; that's an artifact of the lighting. You may also notice some silvering, despite the bucket of snot. I'm hoping that will disappear under another gloss coat of Future followed by a matte coat.

So I exhale a sigh of relief; I'm basically out of the woods on decalling this one. Next, a gloss coat followed by a dark wash for the control surface lines, then a matte coat, final assembly and weathering. Not sure if I'll finish before leaving for Hong Kong on Thursday, but I'll try.

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
me. I have that one in the stash - however as I have already done those early ones in 1/48 I may do it as something else, what though I don't know.

January 23rd, 2012, 7:50 pm #4

and the results:

Then the top:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
"How often do you guys go on a bender ?
This isn't a bender, this is night time!"

Air America

January 23rd, 2012, 8:36 pm #5

and the results:

Then the top:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
A sweet looking beastie Stuart - well done sir! n/t

January 23rd, 2012, 9:44 pm #6

and the results:

Then the top:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
But now I think your hobby is masking instead of scale modelling

Only joking, it's really fabulous work, and I like the trick you did to get the soft demarcation lines with the wire under the tape... but I already get dizzy if I think of all the patience involved - but that result sure is worth it, I have rarely seen a better camo job on a Spitfire

And a happy new year to you too - have fun in HK !

* <i></i> * *
William De Coster / Belgium / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - AZ Model - Kawasaki Ki-78 : Part I
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

January 23rd, 2012, 11:03 pm #7

and the results:

Then the top:

Thanks for looking!

Stuart
Sweet looking for sure Stuart, nice work.

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish