Dumb Question

Dumb Question

July 7th, 2012, 8:15 pm #1

May I ask you a dumb question?

Why is it that, when I am on my computer back home in Connecticut, whenever I attempt to log on to HS or post here, I am booted back to the sign in screen as if my password is invalid, but, when I do it from here on Cape Cod - I can do it ...

I emailed Brett Green, but he has never responded ...

Garth

July 7th, 2012, 10:47 pm #2

Like a Mac vs a PC? Are you using two different browsers, like Safari vs IE? Websites are set up to work with several different browsers, but are not always compatible with all of them. I think Hyperscale's designed to work with IE. Are they different service providers between the two locations?

July 7th, 2012, 10:52 pm #3

Well, up here(on Cape Cod), I've got WINDOWS 7 and back home - I have WINDOWS VISTA (Premium Home Edition), ...

Here, I have XFINITY Cable internet, at home, I've got A T AND T Cable internet ...

July 8th, 2012, 10:37 pm #4

May I ask you a dumb question?

Why is it that, when I am on my computer back home in Connecticut, whenever I attempt to log on to HS or post here, I am booted back to the sign in screen as if my password is invalid, but, when I do it from here on Cape Cod - I can do it ...

I emailed Brett Green, but he has never responded ...

Garth
I was told in simple language by a computer tech that when you are at another computer, your ISP server doesn't recognize the computer as "you". So for security reasons, you are asked to enter your unique password and user name.

Rusty White
Flagship Models Inc.
flagshipmodels.com

July 9th, 2012, 3:19 pm #5

On the home computer, it saves the name and password in a file, so that you don't have to type it in each time. This isn't done at Hyperscale, it is the computer being used. Windows usually asks if you want to use that option, but not always. Why, I don't know.

But, in this case, at the bottom of my screen, it is asking me, "Do you want Internet Explorer to remember the password for clubhyper.com?" So, I will click on yes, and it should retain it for me.

When I visit my sister and use her computer, I have to enter my name and password each time, to submit to Hyperscale. I could save them on her computer as well, but, I don't want to gum up her computer with my passwords, and it also adds a security risk.

Typically, whenever I have had my computer serviced, one of the first things the tech does, is clear the cookies and passwords, and I have to start all over again afterwards, setting up passwords. So, they are not saved by the ISP, either.

If you go to tools, then Internet Options, then General, there is an option to delete "browsing History". This is where those passwords are retained, and what the Tech clears, in case there is a virus. Unfortunately, I don't know of a file where you can physically add passwords. If Windows doesn't ask if you want to save the password first, I am not sure you can do it. It can be a pain, but it is for internet security.

July 9th, 2012, 9:17 pm #6

Yes, I know all that about my passwords being stored by IE and all that.

What I am sayi is that - here at the Cape - I type in my screen name and type in my password and am allowed to post here ... BUT at home; I type in my screen name and my password and it automatically returns me to the sign in screen

THAT tells me it is a NETWORK 54 thing.

Garth