Drop Tank racers

Drop Tank racers

May 5th, 2012, 7:38 pm #1

I have developed this odd and maybe expensive ( I want to build one!)fascination for these speed record cars. I was looking through sites with old photos and came across this real cool one taken on the Salt in 1946. It is Bill Burke and his tank racer , said to be the first one built to race there. I think this one was off of a P-51. He later built a 2nd car with a P-38 tank.

Last edited by ResinPrince on May 5th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 6th, 2012, 3:01 am #2

before you put pencil to paper. I live in the SG valley, so if you ever plan a trip to El Mirage let me know. These guys are great. When I was the National Sales Manager for Justice Brothers, we use to put together goody bags of our product and pass them out in the pits. If you plan to compete, there have been several rule changes you need to know about. The folks who compete with SCTA are a great group. Here is there web page.

http://www.scta-bni.org/

California Steve

May 6th, 2012, 1:39 pm #3

I just joined the SCTA and have a rule book inbound.Collecting info on the parts I need now. I have been a VW guy since my first carso I would like( if I build it) to make one using a VW motor (flat four air cooled) Easy to swap out for class changes and no water to worry about. They race what is called Formula V and it is a VW type Indy looking car for road racing. They swap the gears in the tranny so you can reverse it and run mid engine. This is what I plan to do too.

mike

May 6th, 2012, 2:39 pm #4

I'm a VW guy too Mike, Now where did I put that 010 distributor!!

May 8th, 2012, 5:03 pm #5

I just joined the SCTA and have a rule book inbound.Collecting info on the parts I need now. I have been a VW guy since my first carso I would like( if I build it) to make one using a VW motor (flat four air cooled) Easy to swap out for class changes and no water to worry about. They race what is called Formula V and it is a VW type Indy looking car for road racing. They swap the gears in the tranny so you can reverse it and run mid engine. This is what I plan to do too.

mike
Built and raced one for a few years in the 90s. Amazingly, most of it was payed for from the proceeds of my scale modeling business at the time (several hundred models, mostly 43rd scale cars)

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

May 8th, 2012, 5:03 pm #6

mike
double post n/t
Last edited by orangelion03 on May 8th, 2012, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.