Dragon 1/72 Gemini Capsule questions

Dragon 1/72 Gemini Capsule questions

April 3rd, 2012, 2:55 am #1

I just started on the new 1/72 Gemini capsule kit form Dragon-- it is simple little kit, and is goign together quickly.

A couple of questions come to mind:

1. The kit give the option of having the drogue chute cover in place or not. Which is appropropriate for the spacecraft, if you're doing the model "in orbit" with the spacewalker deployed?

2. And speaking of the figures, they are modled in a soft vinyl-like material instead of the expected styrene. What's the best way to glue and paint these guys?

TIA!

Webmaster, IPMS Patriot Chapter, Billerica, MA
www.ipmspatriot.org

April 3rd, 2012, 11:24 am #2

I don't have the kit yet, but if you mean the disc-shaped item at the top of the recovery section, you should leave it off for an on-orbit Gemini. It covered the renvevous radar/transponder during the boost phase.

You might want to look here for a great video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZkMxPgrjmc

I have to wonder - and it's only a guess - if the "vinyl" astronauts are not actually the DS material that DML uses for tracks in their armor kits. If so, DS is gluable with normal styrene cement and also takes paint fairly well.

April 3rd, 2012, 4:23 pm #3

You can glue them with normal model cement or CA glue. They react funny with paint though. Enamel or solvent based paint may cause DS to dry out and crumble. A lot of other paints don't stick well to it either sometimes.