Doubts about Mosquito NF.30 exhaust system

Doubts about Mosquito NF.30 exhaust system

February 7th, 2014, 12:19 pm #1

Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of Tamiya's nice Mosquito NF.XIII/XVII in 1/48 scale. The plane is cool but I'd like to convert it to the more advanced NF.30 thanks to an OOP two-stage engine conversion made by Paragon some years ago.

The main concern about this project refers to the exhaust system of the NF.30, it seems that it was equipped with different arrangements of shrounded, exposed and louvered exhaust covers during its service career and I'd like to know which one would be more adequate for a WW2 machine.

Also, would like to know if there are published scale plans or detail drawings of the NF.30 wartime exhausts in order to give a try to my scratchbuilding skills.

The particular plane I'm interested in is depicted in Model Alliance Decals WW2 -2nd TACTICAL AIR FORCE 1944-1945. deHavilland Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX, MM788, RA·Q, of 410 Squadron, RAF, B.48, Amiens/Glisy, France, September 1944.

Needless to say, if someone had photos of this particular a/c I'd be more than happy to be able to see them!

As usual, many thanks in advance for your kind help!

JORDI-

PS- Also, would be more than interested in getting the unused exhaust parts of Airfix' NF.30 OOP kit released some time ago!

February 7th, 2014, 2:01 pm #2

Here's a pic. Based on the date, and the shrouds on the other Mosquito in the picture, I'd expect MM788 to have the fully enclosed exhaust shrouds.

I found the pic here: http://flyingforyourlife.com/pilots/ww2/d/dinsdale/

David
David Womby, Florida.

February 7th, 2014, 2:52 pm #3

Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of Tamiya's nice Mosquito NF.XIII/XVII in 1/48 scale. The plane is cool but I'd like to convert it to the more advanced NF.30 thanks to an OOP two-stage engine conversion made by Paragon some years ago.

The main concern about this project refers to the exhaust system of the NF.30, it seems that it was equipped with different arrangements of shrounded, exposed and louvered exhaust covers during its service career and I'd like to know which one would be more adequate for a WW2 machine.

Also, would like to know if there are published scale plans or detail drawings of the NF.30 wartime exhausts in order to give a try to my scratchbuilding skills.

The particular plane I'm interested in is depicted in Model Alliance Decals WW2 -2nd TACTICAL AIR FORCE 1944-1945. deHavilland Mosquito NF.Mk.XXX, MM788, RA·Q, of 410 Squadron, RAF, B.48, Amiens/Glisy, France, September 1944.

Needless to say, if someone had photos of this particular a/c I'd be more than happy to be able to see them!

JORDI-

PS- Also, would be more than interested in getting the unused exhaust parts of Airfix' NF.30 OOP kit released some time ago!
Jordi, please contact me offboard...n/t.

February 7th, 2014, 3:25 pm #4

Hello everyone,

JORDI-

I have been trying for a couple of years to find good photo's or drawings for my Airfix NF-30

Cheers, Colin

February 7th, 2014, 5:27 pm #5

Here's a pic. Based on the date, and the shrouds on the other Mosquito in the picture, I'd expect MM788 to have the fully enclosed exhaust shrouds.

I found the pic here: http://flyingforyourlife.com/pilots/ww2/d/dinsdale/

David
IIRC, the reason they developed the gilled version is because the plain shroud was getting too hot and burning through very quickly.

Getting the real shape of that early 2 stage exhaust shroud is not easy. There are very few god clear photos of it. If someone has some, and would like to share, I'd be tickled pink!

Happy modelling! Roy

http://www.barracudacals.com/
blog:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com/

February 7th, 2014, 8:36 pm #6

Hello everyone,

JORDI-

How about this one? It has no gills so I assume it's the earlier type.

David

Last edited by dwomby on February 7th, 2014, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Womby, Florida.

February 7th, 2014, 8:56 pm #7

IIRC, the reason they developed the gilled version is because the plain shroud was getting too hot and burning through very quickly.

Getting the real shape of that early 2 stage exhaust shroud is not easy. There are very few god clear photos of it. If someone has some, and would like to share, I'd be tickled pink!

Happy modelling! Roy

blog:
... I've been wanting to do a wartime NF30, but couldn't find any pictures of the gilled style shroud supplied in the 1/48 Airfix kit. Sounds like it wasn't applicable, anyhow. From the photo in the post below, it almost looks like a beefier version of the standard shroud.
If you get more info, I hope you could either share it, or (hint, hint) make a resin set?

Thanks,
Colin

February 8th, 2014, 10:42 am #8

How about this one? It has no gills so I assume it's the earlier type.

David

And your pictures are really interesting and useful, thanks a lot for your input!

JORDI-

February 8th, 2014, 2:49 pm #9

Happy modelling! Roy

blog:
They were indeed used but late in the war as documented in this book by a pilot who flew an NF Mk 30 in the war. His pics show his bird as having been so equipped.

http://www.starduststudios.com/eric-loveland.html

I went thru some trials and tribulations when I built mine as I had erroneously drilled out the aft end of the shrouds when they were indeed enclosed as you see in this pic.

Aero detail #23 on the Mosquito has some VERY good pics of the Belgian Mk 30 so equipped with the shrouds and this is what I used to model mine.

The only set I am aware of was were included in the Hi Tech resin set for the 2 stage nacelles and were a PITA to get to fit on the Pavla nacelles I used.

Model building is Fun!........Model building is fun.......model building is a %$@#&%? *&&^$%% ^$!#%?"!
Last edited by DrPlastic on February 8th, 2014, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 8th, 2014, 2:50 pm #10

I have been trying for a couple of years to find good photo's or drawings for my Airfix NF-30

Cheers, Colin
Model building is Fun!........Model building is fun.......model building is a %$@#&%? *&&^$%% ^$!#%?"!
Last edited by DrPlastic on February 8th, 2014, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.