Dornier Do 17Z-7 codes and markings

Dornier Do 17Z-7 codes and markings

December 7th, 2017, 2:00 am #1

Just got the new Classic/Crecy Do 215 book, which is nice.

Comparing what has been written so far about Do 17Z-7s and was wondering if anybody knows what the basis is for several of the markings for this aircraft that are available on Owl Decals 1/72 sheets.

Thanks
Last edited by lspalmer54 on December 7th, 2017, 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2017, 5:31 pm #2

Olrog has done us a service with his unique book.

I assume you're looking at his chart on p.185, which shows only one Z-7 equipped with the 'Spanner' IR device, other sources state three "Z-7" were produced, but records for only two have emerged (his text states six were proposed).

WNr.2817 was damaged by a nightfighter Hurricane near Lincoln, but Ofw. Schmidt managed to fly it home on one engine; its damage was minor, assessed at 8% (these percentages can sometimes be deceptive, as they were based on the cost of fixing/replacing; some shattered aircraft are recorded at "90%" rather than 100% -- perhaps they salvaged the tailwheel and sundry?)
Besides the photo of this one (R4+HK) on p. 186, there's another view (a copy of which can be found in Luftwaffe im Focus No.10, p.12), likely taken while parked in the same revetment, which reveals the uppersurfaces were NOT black, but had retained their 70/71 camo.

One of the choices provided on the Owl sheet, 2N+GH, is curious, as the loss report for this machine (WNr.2834, fatal crash on a practice flight) was given as "2N+CH" -- but "lapsus calami happens" and that includes in the Luftwaffe Quartermaster's documents. I know of know of photo-documentation for this one.

Another of their choices, "R4+EB" gives the Werknummer as 2817, but two years later, and with the wing bands of 'Operation Anton' (the seizure of Vichy France in Nov. 1942). I know of know of photo-documentation for this one, although there are a number of KG 2 Do 217s wearing these recognition markings.

Hope this helps a bit, GRM

December 7th, 2017, 5:54 pm #3

Yes,

I have the book. Wish he would do something on the Do 217 of this caliber, or of the Do 17. He mentions that his coverage of the 17s is "brief." Makes you wonder what he could have done had he been covering strictly 17s.

It is odd to me that 2817 crashed then was operated 2 years later? Who knows?

Would be nice to know what the other decal sheets are based upon. In the absence of any info, I am not inclined to build them. I realize that is a matter of choice...

December 7th, 2017, 6:30 pm #4

I bought several decals and conversion sets for Luftwaffe aircraft during the last year. The main disadvantage in my opinion is, that Owl does not mention any references. They offer decals for a Do 17 Z-7, R4+HK, 2817 https://eshop.owl-czech.eu/detail/1:72- ... -7-part-ii) and tell us, that this plane was painted overall RLM 22 black. But if "Luftwaffe im Focus", No. 10, page 12, is right, the aircraft shown there is R4+HK and you can see that there is no black colour on top behind the canopy. So I think, Owl isn't always right with their instructions.

December 7th, 2017, 7:22 pm #5

Yes,

I have the book. Wish he would do something on the Do 217 of this caliber, or of the Do 17. He mentions that his coverage of the 17s is "brief." Makes you wonder what he could have done had he been covering strictly 17s.

It is odd to me that 2817 crashed then was operated 2 years later? Who knows?

Would be nice to know what the other decal sheets are based upon. In the absence of any info, I am not inclined to build them. I realize that is a matter of choice...

Steven “Modeldad” Eisenman

'Storm's A-Comin' Baby'

December 7th, 2017, 10:00 pm #6

Thank YOU, again. n/t

December 10th, 2017, 12:41 pm #7

I found this on the internet: Dornier Do-17 Z-7 Kauz, Airfix/OWL by Jes Touvdal
The Luftwaffe blog presents another fantastic build from Jes Touvdal, the rather rare Do 17 Z-7 Kauz. Jes writes;

".. I have completed this new kit from Airfix a little while ago, I think that Airfix has done a very good job on this kit and it fits very well. I chose to convert it to a Z-7 nightfighter using the OWL conversion set. I spent a lot of time researching the camouflage scheme. Firstly I contacted Owl asking for reference photo documentation confirming that the scheme in the decals offering was correct, but received a rather weak answer from them about the photo that they couldn't publish. My own research indicated that their conclusion that the finish was an overall black scheme is questionable, based on the photo published in Luftwaffe im Focus 10, from Start Verlag, and the fact that only 3 aircraft were converted to Z-7, comparing the spinners and the placement of NJG shield I also backup the finding that Axel Urbanke claims that this aircraft is R4+HK. So I have gone for a 70/71/65 scheme that has been overpainted in black on the undersurfaces and sides. A thing that was not in the conversion kit from OWL was the armoured glass on the front of the cockpit I had to scratch something here as well as the FuG under the fuselage..." Jes adds that only eight Do 17s were converted to this configuration, although only two WNr. are known, 2817 and 2834.
More of Jes Touvdal's Luftwaffe models on this blog here

also on this blog - building the new-tool Airfix 72nd scale Dornier Do 17
http://falkeeins.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04 ... do-17.html

December 10th, 2017, 11:05 pm #8

Thank you for posting this Burkhard. N/T