Don't kill me guys...uh...are Frog kits considered eligible as Airfix (no tomatoes)

Don't kill me guys...uh...are Frog kits considered eligible as Airfix (no tomatoes)

April 12th, 2012, 3:59 am #1

April 12th, 2012, 4:07 am #2

Unless you mix parts from it with a mostly AF model. We've certainly posted some cross kitted species but I don't think a completely "un-Airfix" kit will do.

It is an Airfix Group Build HS site designed as such by the webmaster after all!

I shall now shield myself from veggies as well...

Regards,

Dan From Tacoma, Washington USA
Last edited by NinetyThirdLiberator on April 12th, 2012, 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 5:05 am #3

My own investigation revealed that Frog was part of the Rovex empire and Rovex
was eventually purchased by Hornby thus making the two brands family members.

Mr A Buttrick proved through exhaustive analysis that both brands came in bags and boxes.

But I'm sure the absolute proof was pointed out by one of our fellow Airfixers that the duck pond at Airfix's hallowed Haldane place establishment had a Frog in it.

This is conclusive proof that yes you can

April 12th, 2012, 5:08 am #4

to include other "classic" brands (e.g. Matchbox, FROG, Heller, Lindbergh and early Monogram & Revell), I think the basic rule is either (1) pure Airfix, or (2) original Airfix boxed by someone else, or (3) someone else's kit boxed by Airfix. I suppose otherwise it would be hard to know where to draw the line.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Stuart

April 12th, 2012, 6:41 am #5

After all, Airfix sponsors this forum. I think Stuart has nailed it quite accurately with his three points in his post.

April 12th, 2012, 7:58 am #6

My own investigation revealed that Frog was part of the Rovex empire and Rovex
was eventually purchased by Hornby thus making the two brands family members.

Mr A Buttrick proved through exhaustive analysis that both brands came in bags and boxes.

But I'm sure the absolute proof was pointed out by one of our fellow Airfixers that the duck pond at Airfix's hallowed Haldane place establishment had a Frog in it.

This is conclusive proof that yes you can

Pete

April 12th, 2012, 8:34 am #7

Alongside the Airfix one, of course.

Cheers,

Andrew

Tutorials: Plasticene wheel wells Cheap vacform machine Example vac-form
RAAF Kingfisher: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Final
Bronco NOGS: Part 1 Jan 2009 Part 2 Dec 2010(!) Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Final
Frog Vengeance: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Final

April 12th, 2012, 9:28 am #8

...I think we can't convert it until someone who is in charge doesn't decide so.
One question, though: is the forum still "sponsored" by Airfix? I just read so in the headlines, but I have not seen their ads for a long time.
If the brand is not still interested in the sponsorship, maybe we can lobby a bit to convince Brett and turn the forum into a "airfix and other classics"...
Massimo LaCivita

April 12th, 2012, 10:00 am #9

As I've pointed out in the past, we are essentially a self governing body. We behave ourselves and for the most part, quietly color within the lines, but not always.

No, Airfix is no longer a sponsor. The Airfix police have moved on to a different beat. I don't think we need to bring this to Brett to change. There is at present a 1/72 scale forum that could take on other builds than Airfix. and Plastic Pics would hold anything else.

In the past, such as when I headed the "Battle of Britain" GB and proposed leading the VVS GB, I felt it would be alright to allow other "classic Kits" in beyond Airfix to fill in some obvious holes.

Since our Danni is leading, she should decide if this is a "one kit" GB or something else. If she wants to let other kits in to flesh out the build, so be it. She has stated exactly how she feels about it already. The present Hurricane GB has specifically not allowed other kits in. It's up to the leader how he/she wants to lead.

I have also said in the past, if we don't make a lot of noise up here while we play with flash lights and read when we're supposed to be sleeping, nobody will come up the stairs to bother us. I think officially changing the Forum now is not the right thing to do, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish
Last edited by Allan31 on April 12th, 2012, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2012, 10:47 am #10

The spirit of that should remain.
For the rest of the forum and other group builds targeting specific periods or such
I would have no problem allowing Frog Matchbox etc in, Frog I think is almost as legendary
as Airfix.
Converting this forum to cover classic kits is a very good idea, perhaps we should vote for what is and isnt
classic before bothering Brett.

So the Airfix Firefly GB will only be open to the Airfix kit but I'd love to see the Frog version pop up on the forum.