dominican republic P38

dominican republic P38

April 18th, 2012, 10:10 pm #1

I have seen a profile of an overall black P38 (P38L?) on wingpalette website, but I am unable to find any pic or details on that airframe.

I would be grateful if someone could post pictures of the aircraft or just give info on the colors (matt? gloss? wheel wells? undercarriage? cockpit?)

TIA,

Dan

April 18th, 2012, 11:20 pm #2

there was an article in Air Entusiast many years ago about the Dominician AF of that time, mostly P-51s (silver & balck ones) but also two photos of the black P-38 in a line-up - no close-ups tho.

I'll go thru my collection & see if I can find it.

cheers Ray

April 18th, 2012, 11:44 pm #3

I have seen a profile of an overall black P38 (P38L?) on wingpalette website, but I am unable to find any pic or details on that airframe.

I would be grateful if someone could post pictures of the aircraft or just give info on the colors (matt? gloss? wheel wells? undercarriage? cockpit?)

TIA,

Dan
This is the only one I´ve got. I can´t remember where I got it, nor do I have any description of it.

Marco

April 19th, 2012, 1:57 am #4

TIA,

Dan
Neat photo, Marko !!!

Dan,
they had six P-38's, some were NMF & others matt-black. Cockpits, wheel-wells etc would be standard US practice as only the exteriors were re-painted by the Dominicians.
The photo below from the magazine clearly shows a much lighter shade for the nose & engine antiglare panels. There appears to be only two guns in the nose (paint worn away around them) with a window undernearth - so a former F-5 Recce version.

[/img]

April 19th, 2012, 3:54 am #5

TIA,

Dan
Does anyone know where one can get Dominican decals, in 48th or 32nd scale? I'd love to do my 32nd Tamiya Mustang as a Dominican airplane.

____________________________________________________________________________________

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">Mark Twain<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">____________________________________________________________________________________

http://hyperscale.com/approachtonoderatingbg_1.htm
</font></font></font></font>

April 19th, 2012, 5:33 am #6

You would have to look for "Latin American Mustangs Part 1" AKA Macho Mustangs. There is a seller on Ebay (Scott's Model Workshop Ebay handle rebelalpha) who handles them pretty regularly but there doesn't appear to be any on sale right now. You might check with him. This listing (expired) on Ebay Russia will give you an idea of what you're looking for.
http://viewitem.eim.ebay.ru/Aztec-Decal ... en-US.html

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.

April 19th, 2012, 7:28 am #7

Neat photo, Marko !!!

Dan,
they had six P-38's, some were NMF & others matt-black. Cockpits, wheel-wells etc would be standard US practice as only the exteriors were re-painted by the Dominicians.
The photo below from the magazine clearly shows a much lighter shade for the nose & engine antiglare panels. There appears to be only two guns in the nose (paint worn away around them) with a window undernearth - so a former F-5 Recce version.

[/img]
do you think that all the airframes were former recce or mixed?

Many thanks for the pic!

cheers
Dan

April 19th, 2012, 7:31 am #8

This is the only one I´ve got. I can´t remember where I got it, nor do I have any description of it.

Marco
nt

April 19th, 2012, 9:22 am #9

TIA,

Dan
AFAIK the P-38 were the same as for all their A/c types - a mix of whatever was available, ie- Mustangs were P-51-Bs, P-51Cs & P-51Ds.

Hobbycraft did a few different 1/48th Dominician aircraft, notably a P-51D & DH Vampire. Squadron also did 1/72nd markings in some of their Latin AF sheets.
Another company did marking for a Beaufighter in 48th too, maybe also in 72nd.
Don't know of any in 1/32nd scale.

A mix of all available decal sets are needed to do a 1/48th late P-51D in the Dominician Green & Vietnam Tan scheme due to the different diameter roundels they used.
Last edited by hobgrot on April 19th, 2012, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 19th, 2012, 11:18 am #10

You would have to look for "Latin American Mustangs Part 1" AKA Macho Mustangs. There is a seller on Ebay (Scott's Model Workshop Ebay handle rebelalpha) who handles them pretty regularly but there doesn't appear to be any on sale right now. You might check with him. This listing (expired) on Ebay Russia will give you an idea of what you're looking for.
http://viewitem.eim.ebay.ru/Aztec-Decal ... en-US.html

Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Neo: Guns. Lots of guns.
nt

____________________________________________________________________________________

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them."
<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">Mark Twain<font>

<font size="2" color="#808080">____________________________________________________________________________________

http://hyperscale.com/approachtonoderatingbg_1.htm
</font></font></font></font>