Doing my first car

Doing my first car

July 4th, 2012, 7:05 pm #1

Doing my first car and I would like to know if it is better to tack the hood on and then paint the car or do them separately? TIA

You can't spend your way out of poverty

July 4th, 2012, 7:55 pm #2

If you put the hood on/in the body, then you won't get the opening edges of either properly painted. Paint it separately, but at the same time and in exactly the same way that you paint the rest of the body.

If the hood has stripes, etc., after you get the basic color on, sometimes it's helpful to tack the hood in place for the stripes (or whatever) painting.

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

July 4th, 2012, 8:04 pm #3

a

July 4th, 2012, 10:53 pm #4

Doing my first car and I would like to know if it is better to tack the hood on and then paint the car or do them separately? TIA

Especially if you have separate doors, hoods, etc. is to make sure you get EXACTLY the same paint job on all the parts. This is not so critical for solid, dark colors like black, but metallics and candy colors are tricky. You think all the parts you painted one at a time look the same until you put them on the model and notice the hood is much darker or lighter than the body.