Do-228 313 LR ........................Lost Decals and other!

Do-228 313 LR ........................Lost Decals and other!

September 13th, 2011, 7:32 am #1

G'day All,

I've been working on a "WHAT IF" Do-228 313 LR in 1/72 scale. Unfortunately, I've seemed to have missed placed the kit decals. I believe they may have been thrown out in an administrative flush of papers. Its holding up posting of a WIP and I was wondering how to solve the problem? In addition, there are little static discharge on the trailing edge of the movable surfaces. I was wondering how to achieve these in such a small scale? Also,I need very small Aussie flags for under the cockpit and the code serial numbers. So I was wondering how to go about this? Wonder if Mike Grant could help? Would I need to do the art work and in what format?

Thanks much.

PHIL

September 13th, 2011, 9:58 am #2

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the decals, maybe a posting on Plane Trading looking for someone who has the Do-228 kit but plans to use aftermarket decals and would be willing to send you the kit decals? Never hurts to ask... I look forward to more pictures of your incredible conversion.

I've found static discharge wicks in 1/72 to be difficult. Stretched sprue is too fragile, I always kept bending and breaking them. I think the finest copper wire works the best, superglued in place. If you do bump it, just bend it back where you want it. Look for this wire in various pieces of old discarded wiring, some of it is very fine, probably around .005" in some cases, maybe a little thicker. Speaker wires are a good source. Once I found a set that had extremely fine wire I cut off a 1-foot section and it will last me a lifetime. It is braided so there is a lot there.

Cheers,
Don

September 13th, 2011, 10:26 am #3

Stuart

September 13th, 2011, 9:34 pm #4

G'day All,

I've been working on a "WHAT IF" Do-228 313 LR in 1/72 scale. Unfortunately, I've seemed to have missed placed the kit decals. I believe they may have been thrown out in an administrative flush of papers. Its holding up posting of a WIP and I was wondering how to solve the problem? In addition, there are little static discharge on the trailing edge of the movable surfaces. I was wondering how to achieve these in such a small scale? Also,I need very small Aussie flags for under the cockpit and the code serial numbers. So I was wondering how to go about this? Wonder if Mike Grant could help? Would I need to do the art work and in what format?

Thanks much.

PHIL
In 1/72 scale the bristles from a tooth brush works
well. They are thin and as they are flexible they
aren’t damaged easily.

www.maplewings.com

September 14th, 2011, 5:52 am #5

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear about the decals, maybe a posting on Plane Trading looking for someone who has the Do-228 kit but plans to use aftermarket decals and would be willing to send you the kit decals? Never hurts to ask... I look forward to more pictures of your incredible conversion.

I've found static discharge wicks in 1/72 to be difficult. Stretched sprue is too fragile, I always kept bending and breaking them. I think the finest copper wire works the best, superglued in place. If you do bump it, just bend it back where you want it. Look for this wire in various pieces of old discarded wiring, some of it is very fine, probably around .005" in some cases, maybe a little thicker. Speaker wires are a good source. Once I found a set that had extremely fine wire I cut off a 1-foot section and it will last me a lifetime. It is braided so there is a lot there.

Cheers,
Don
G'day Don,

Yeah cool to hear from you. Form a guy who builds 1/72 you can appreciate how the small size fights with the detail/scale issue. I'm finding the larger the size the easier it is to locate those bits around here and there. Always a challenge to prove the level of detail one likes or would expect in this small scale. I have contacted RM for the decals but not heard from as yet. I'm hoping this pans out. Thanks again for you kind tips. I hope to post a WIP soon as I get the decals fixed. Still lots to do to make Do-228 stand out. Good to hear from you I hope things are well your side of the world.

Thanks much.

PHIL

September 14th, 2011, 5:55 am #6

In 1/72 scale the bristles from a tooth brush works
well. They are thin and as they are flexible they
aren’t damaged easily.

www.maplewings.com
G'day Tom,

Toothbrush sounds like a good Idea. Yet if there is paint on it will it crack and flake off? I think there is lots to think about but I appreciate the thought. I will post a WIP of the Do228 with what ever I find suitable.

Thanks much.

PHIL

September 14th, 2011, 3:38 pm #7

G'day All,

Thanks much.

PHIL
I have the original issue with German civil markings and a white finish with red and yellow stripes. I think I still have the kit decals. Adios, Larry

September 14th, 2011, 11:10 pm #8

G'day Larry,

I don't think the original decals would be useful. The latest decals are the ones I need. But hey thanks for the kind offer.

PHIL

Don Hinton
Don Hinton

September 15th, 2011, 12:02 am #9

G'day Don,

Yeah cool to hear from you. Form a guy who builds 1/72 you can appreciate how the small size fights with the detail/scale issue. I'm finding the larger the size the easier it is to locate those bits around here and there. Always a challenge to prove the level of detail one likes or would expect in this small scale. I have contacted RM for the decals but not heard from as yet. I'm hoping this pans out. Thanks again for you kind tips. I hope to post a WIP soon as I get the decals fixed. Still lots to do to make Do-228 stand out. Good to hear from you I hope things are well your side of the world.

Thanks much.

PHIL
Hey Phil,

I really look forward to more pics of your gunship.

Summer has been long and lots of work, little modeling. I look forward to Fall and hopefully more modeling. I'm working on the 1/72 Sword P-47N and a 1/72 artillery piece--the awesome twin 12,8cm Flak 40 guns as used on Flak Towers. I plan to do a small diorama on this. But then today I just received the Mach 2 Falcon 20 and I'm real hot to start on this as a USCG bird. Must stay focused...

Don

September 15th, 2011, 1:32 pm #10

G'day All,

Thanks much.

PHIL
If you e-mail me your snail mail address I'll send you the current Revell Maritime patrol (Dutch & German) decals... my 228 (no where as hardcore a rebuild as yours... just customised to represent an SA Airlink A/C.

Yes, custom decal land... get clear Microscale decal sheet, grab what your are aftrer off the web (Aussie flags are dime 'a dozen) scale it down in graphics or in my case Word and print... seal with decal sealant and then treat with care...