Disappointed in Tamiya 1/18 McLaren and Lola T-160 models

Disappointed in Tamiya 1/18 McLaren and Lola T-160 models

Joe Taylor
Joe Taylor

December 14th, 2010, 3:39 pm #1

Both of these kits were originally motorized. Now sold as static models there is no front or rear suspension pieces.

On both, the rear suspension is just has a kind of leaf spring affair and in front none at all but there is a friction device and a connecting rod for holding the hand set steering angles.

both the front and rear body work lift off but i can't think of a reason to do so since the detail is both basic and non-existent.

I either need to scratch build all of the suspension or just build it closed up.

Oh well, i feel better, rant off.

joe.

December 14th, 2010, 9:10 pm #2

It was nice to see them re-issued but I thought the price was pretty high so I haven't picked them up. 1/18 is an odd scale for kits so I would be really surprised to see any interest from the aftermarket detail folks.

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus

December 22nd, 2010, 4:39 pm #3

Both of these kits were originally motorized. Now sold as static models there is no front or rear suspension pieces.

On both, the rear suspension is just has a kind of leaf spring affair and in front none at all but there is a friction device and a connecting rod for holding the hand set steering angles.

both the front and rear body work lift off but i can't think of a reason to do so since the detail is both basic and non-existent.

I either need to scratch build all of the suspension or just build it closed up.

Oh well, i feel better, rant off.

joe.
Reissues of some very early Tamiya kits. THe originals date back to the mid 60s.

Ron M
Ron M

December 23rd, 2010, 1:48 am #4

It was nice to see them re-issued but I thought the price was pretty high so I haven't picked them up. 1/18 is an odd scale for kits so I would be really surprised to see any interest from the aftermarket detail folks.

CinC Hooterville Air Corps
.....flying top cover for America's hog farms since 1989....

sumus quod sumus
diecast models. I don't know why they picked that scale, maybe its easier to scale suspensions and wiring. There is a ton of diecast stuff in 1/18, and the Can-am cars by Exoto, GMP, and a couple of others, will blow away most plastic kits. GMP did McLarens, and Lolas, Exoto did Chaparrals, and Porsches, and a lot of Sports prototypes. So, the Tamiyas fit right in with these diecast cars. I have over 100 diecasts of different types that I would never had time to build at the same level, if they were available as plastic kits.

December 29th, 2010, 3:25 pm #5

Reissues of some very early Tamiya kits. THe originals date back to the mid 60s.
I posted an add on Plane Trading.

joe.