Diorama idea

Diorama idea

December 7th, 2017, 8:49 pm #1

I recently received a Tamiya 1/48 Komatsu G40 Bulldozer. I think I have seen these in use by US forces on captured airfields like on Guadalcanal. I would like to use it along with a Wildcat in a diorama. Plausible or not?

THX, Mike

December 7th, 2017, 9:45 pm #2

My uncle was in the Seebess in ww2, and he said they kept several Japanese tractors on Espiritu Santo where he was stationed.

December 7th, 2017, 9:59 pm #3

I recently received a Tamiya 1/48 Komatsu G40 Bulldozer. I think I have seen these in use by US forces on captured airfields like on Guadalcanal. I would like to use it along with a Wildcat in a diorama. Plausible or not?

THX, Mike
What type of Japanese fighter that can be found as a model kit, might be found damaged on the Canal? See how projects can spin out of control?

December 7th, 2017, 10:29 pm #4

Since the Japanese airfield on Guadalcanal wasn't operational before the US captured the island, the only Japanese fighters on the island would be any Zeros that happened to crash there after being shot down. I've never read of one crashing there, but I suppose it could have happened.

Stuart

December 7th, 2017, 10:29 pm #5

THX, Mike
http://www.belcherbits.com/lines/battalion/bt12.htm

December 7th, 2017, 11:00 pm #6

Jim Sullivan just sent me a period photo of one near a F4U

Your model looks nice too

December 8th, 2017, 12:21 am #7

What type of Japanese fighter that can be found as a model kit, might be found damaged on the Canal? See how projects can spin out of control?
At Guadalcanal during the late '42 early 43 period, it would have been A6M2, A6M3 Hamps and A6M2-N Rufe floatplanes in use. There was very limited use of Ki43-I's in the area too.

Bombers and other aircraft could be Petes, Jakes, Vals, Betty's and even a Dinah was shot down over Henderson.

Kits are available for all of them by the following manufacturers:

Tamiya: Rufe, A6M2, A6M3, Betty, Pete, Dinah(though maybe not the right version).

Hasegawa: Ki43, A6M2, A6M3, A6M2-N Rufe, Pete

Nichimo: Jake and Ki43-I

All of these would have been crashed aircraft, since as pointed out the Japanese never operated from this field.

Another option might be Munda. It was an operational Japanese field with an interesting history. It was built by suspending the palm tops from wires to keep the field beneath secret. Once the field was done the wires were cut to expose the runway. There was a whole boneyard with Japanese aircraft in it, well photographed and also tech reports available. Most of the same types as listed above. I am sure there was equipment still there when the field was taken.

Chris

December 8th, 2017, 12:54 am #8

Since the Japanese airfield on Guadalcanal wasn't operational before the US captured the island, the only Japanese fighters on the island would be any Zeros that happened to crash there after being shot down. I've never read of one crashing there, but I suppose it could have happened.

Stuart
Well...You shot that idea down

December 8th, 2017, 12:55 am #9

At Guadalcanal during the late '42 early 43 period, it would have been A6M2, A6M3 Hamps and A6M2-N Rufe floatplanes in use. There was very limited use of Ki43-I's in the area too.

Bombers and other aircraft could be Petes, Jakes, Vals, Betty's and even a Dinah was shot down over Henderson.

Kits are available for all of them by the following manufacturers:

Tamiya: Rufe, A6M2, A6M3, Betty, Pete, Dinah(though maybe not the right version).

Hasegawa: Ki43, A6M2, A6M3, A6M2-N Rufe, Pete

Nichimo: Jake and Ki43-I

All of these would have been crashed aircraft, since as pointed out the Japanese never operated from this field.

Another option might be Munda. It was an operational Japanese field with an interesting history. It was built by suspending the palm tops from wires to keep the field beneath secret. Once the field was done the wires were cut to expose the runway. There was a whole boneyard with Japanese aircraft in it, well photographed and also tech reports available. Most of the same types as listed above. I am sure there was equipment still there when the field was taken.

Chris
Thanks Chris

December 8th, 2017, 1:15 am #10

...and a sign that says "under new management "
Last edited by Daryl_Huhtala on December 8th, 2017, 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.