Did spooks ever fly Piper Aztecs in SE Asia?

Did spooks ever fly Piper Aztecs in SE Asia?

July 11th, 2012, 6:27 pm #1

We've been offered a Piper Aztec that supposedly flew with a CIA-sponsored air service in SE Asia, but I don't see much reference on the type....

July 11th, 2012, 7:05 pm #2

Air America, maybe? n/t

July 11th, 2012, 7:13 pm #3

We've been offered a Piper Aztec that supposedly flew with a CIA-sponsored air service in SE Asia, but I don't see much reference on the type....
used by one of the companies but so far I have not found anything current to confirm it. One AA list shows an Apache or two but no Aztec. Of course there were a lot of companies and not all aircraft that you saw were painted up in a way that you knew what company operated it. Wouldn't there be something in the old logs for it to show when and where work was done on it?

I confess that I was more interested in the STOL aircraft and of course the bigger stuff than aircraft I could see in the states when I was in that part of the world. I seem to recall seeing a few Apaches, Barons and so on but I am not sure that I saw an Aztec that many years ago! I did like the Wren 460 and the one I flew was ex-CASI and I never saw one that I knew was AA. I understand now they did have some but I had no idea back then of AA flying them and I would have been looking for Wrens. Spending most my time in Laos certainly restricted what I could see.
Last edited by sanmigmike on July 11th, 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2012, 8:28 pm #4

If so, I can try to obtain its history when I am at the FAA's Aircraft Registry in Oklahoma City later in the month.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 11th, 2012, 11:56 pm #5

Vung Tau. Quite a collection of "odds and sods" here.

HTH

Roachie in Oz

July 12th, 2012, 12:08 am #6

It is a Beech Twin Bonanza. operated by the Army as the L-23/U-8 Seminole.

I'm not really a pompous ***; I just play one on HyperScale!

Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
Carrollton, Texas
Last edited by Sky King on July 12th, 2012, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael McMurtrey
IPMS-USA #1746
IPMS-Canada #1426
CAHS #5646
Carrollton, TX

Proud IPMS-USA Low Number Thumper!

July 12th, 2012, 1:33 am #7

PA-23 Apache & Geronimo aircraft. No listing of the Aztec, on their PDF history, by Dr. Leeker. Some pics of some of the Apache & Geronimo aircraft.

Larry