Did any Martin Marylands survive post-1945, and if they did, in what capacity?

Did any Martin Marylands survive post-1945, and if they did, in what capacity?

March 15th, 2012, 3:39 am #1

Just wondering if any Marylands survived WWII. I seem to recall that some were used by the Aeronavale in 1946 but could be wrong...maybe I am thinking about Baltimores with the RN.

March 15th, 2012, 7:21 am #2

AJ Press Monograph has a Maryland of GB 1/34 Bearn in 1945 in Southern France but during the war.
FANA had a multi issue series on the Maryland and in issue 161 it has photos of a 'liaison' version after the war.

They were flown by Groupe Liaisons Aeriennes Ministerielles (GLAM). Text lists the following aircraft as being on charge postwar:
123 aircraft name "Garigliano" used to transport General Juin
153 F-RADE
173 F-SCBG
182 F-SCBH
270 "Rhin et Danube" used to transport General de Lattre

Photos show the following:
F-SCBM of GLAM
Garigliano detail of insignia
Interior photo of VIP seats with windows
Exterior photo of same VIP aircraft with windows
Different aircraft showing left side passenger door and tricolor band
2 photos of Juin's A/C during the war in camoflage

The post war A/C were I surmise all natural metal. Some had custom doors for the VIP section behind the bomb bay, others may have not. The aerials for the radio were elaborate with three wires behind the pilot's cockpit.

I don't have the issues after 163, but 162 talks about Aeronavale but no mention of postwar service.

Keith Walker

March 15th, 2012, 5:03 pm #3

Just wondering if any Marylands survived WWII. I seem to recall that some were used by the Aeronavale in 1946 but could be wrong...maybe I am thinking about Baltimores with the RN.
Photo of a French a/c attending an airshow there - see "Victory Air Displays" book from MMP

March 17th, 2012, 12:32 am #4

any idea what the color scheme was on the Martin?

Thanks, I am searching from this end.

March 17th, 2012, 12:40 am #5

AJ Press Monograph has a Maryland of GB 1/34 Bearn in 1945 in Southern France but during the war.
FANA had a multi issue series on the Maryland and in issue 161 it has photos of a 'liaison' version after the war.

They were flown by Groupe Liaisons Aeriennes Ministerielles (GLAM). Text lists the following aircraft as being on charge postwar:
123 aircraft name "Garigliano" used to transport General Juin
153 F-RADE
173 F-SCBG
182 F-SCBH
270 "Rhin et Danube" used to transport General de Lattre

Photos show the following:
F-SCBM of GLAM
Garigliano detail of insignia
Interior photo of VIP seats with windows
Exterior photo of same VIP aircraft with windows
Different aircraft showing left side passenger door and tricolor band
2 photos of Juin's A/C during the war in camoflage

The post war A/C were I surmise all natural metal. Some had custom doors for the VIP section behind the bomb bay, others may have not. The aerials for the radio were elaborate with three wires behind the pilot's cockpit.

I don't have the issues after 163, but 162 talks about Aeronavale but no mention of postwar service.

Keith Walker
Thanks again for the great information on the Maryland. I am perusing my back periodicals (Avions, FlyPast, SAFO) and will hopefully locate some exterior and intereor pics.