Decal makers: Why no decals in 1/48 scale for

Decal makers: Why no decals in 1/48 scale for

August 21st, 2012, 2:28 am #1

"Hun Hunter XIV"? I am referring to the P-47D Razorback featured in William Wylers 1944-1945 propaganda movie titled "Thunderbolt". I would think this particular aircraft would be as iconic as the "Memphis Bell" which was the subject of William Wyler's other wartime propaganda movie. If a person models this AC you have photographic evidence to accurately hang bombs rocket tubes and a belly tank all on a single NM finished Razorback for a specific mission. EagleCals? BarracudaCals? AeroMaster? Anyone? Can it be that I am the only one who wants this subject covered?

August 21st, 2012, 2:41 am #2

One was on the "Thunderbolt Best Sellers" sheet, if you want to search the usual places. Good luck!

August 21st, 2012, 3:13 am #3

"Hun Hunter XIV"? I am referring to the P-47D Razorback featured in William Wylers 1944-1945 propaganda movie titled "Thunderbolt". I would think this particular aircraft would be as iconic as the "Memphis Bell" which was the subject of William Wyler's other wartime propaganda movie. If a person models this AC you have photographic evidence to accurately hang bombs rocket tubes and a belly tank all on a single NM finished Razorback for a specific mission. EagleCals? BarracudaCals? AeroMaster? Anyone? Can it be that I am the only one who wants this subject covered?
It is #48-843. Sorry I can't post a pic for you. Drop me a line and we can work something out. sdcjr49@gmail.com

A deal, deal! Maybe He's a Republican?
60 feet of bridge I can get almost anywhere. Schmuck!

August 21st, 2012, 1:41 pm #4

Eagle Strike #48164.  I see a couple on eBay.   

Rising Decals made it as well, but the 48th sheet is currently out of print, but I believe they are planning a re-issue soon.  #48-010  I'm pretty sure Hannants will stock it when it gets reprinted.

http://www.risingdecals.com/72-033_Cors ... 72-033.htm 

August 21st, 2012, 5:12 pm #5

is that many guys already have this scheme on a decal sheet in their stash.

Running a popular scheme again, even if it fixes major errors with a previous release, is a crapshoot. it might sell, and it might be a turkey. Decal printing is very expensive these days, and if it bombs, thats a lot of money tied up.

The golden age of decals was about 15 years ago. Really wish we'd have a rebirth. I have a huge backlog of schemes that I'd love to release. Until guys start buying decals in good numbers again, most will languish in the TBR pile.

Happy Modelling! Roy
Visit my blog at:
http://barracudacals.blogspot.com

"What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. I think that's why they make straight jackets out of such sturdy material" Roy S.

August 21st, 2012, 5:54 pm #6

...especially well-researched, accurate decals.  There's several a/c just in the 56th FG that's I'd like to see done or corrected ("Uncle Tom's Cabin" in the correct green immediately comes to mind). 

It's a shame that in the digital age nothing has come along to really replace or signifigantly lower the price of screen printing to make it profitable for smaller batches. 

August 22nd, 2012, 12:23 am #7

I have just followed the advice offered and purchased The Eagle Strike sheet from eBay. Without the information provided by my fellow Hyper Scaler's here I would not have known of the existence of this sheet or of the Super Scale sheet. Thank you one and all.