Debating weather I should keep Testors B-66B kit....

Debating weather I should keep Testors B-66B kit....

January 5th, 2012, 9:28 am #1

This one has been sitting in the stash for a while now and according to Mr. Jackson before he left the hobby in a huff said the wings were all wrong and would need massive reworking to get right.

So, what's the deal with this kit? Any resin upgrades or help articles for the old -66 or just pitch it in the bin?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note To Self: Oyumaru is NOT a fruit snack!

January 5th, 2012, 11:25 am #2

Even if it truly is That Bad ... Either enjoy it yourself or give it to someone to practice with.

Some people just tear a kit up so horribly that others get the feeling you have. Hold the parts together, maybe even tape them to see what the overall impresion is. I have never ownedor handled the Testor B-66, but always wanted to. Box art looks good.

Surely there are many good features about the model !! It's 1/72, iosn't it ? george

January 5th, 2012, 1:11 pm #3

This one has been sitting in the stash for a while now and according to Mr. Jackson before he left the hobby in a huff said the wings were all wrong and would need massive reworking to get right.

So, what's the deal with this kit? Any resin upgrades or help articles for the old -66 or just pitch it in the bin?
If you're a passionate super fan of the B-66, then you should look to making it as accurate and detailed as possible. If it's just another plane that you find "pretty cool" (as I do), build the kit and enjoy it. I have one that I'm eager to build, using Wolfpack Decals.

January 5th, 2012, 2:49 pm #4

[/IMG]

The fit of the canopy isn't great (didn't mate that well with the fuselage at the back), and things like flap and hatch hinges, vents, etc. had to be scratch built, but it looked pretty good when finished.

January 5th, 2012, 2:56 pm #5

When and if it ever comes out... The Italeri kit is about it so if you want a B-66 its that or nothing in 1/72. The old Monogram kit is smaller than 1/72 and is not that good.

January 5th, 2012, 3:10 pm #6

Build it if you like it. I've handled a friend's completed -66.
It looks just fine. Now I know squat about the airplane so the wings might very well be wrong, and that description fits 99.7% of modelers. If someone appears at the show with 72d B-66 plans and heads to the judge's meeting, then worry. It's a lovely airframe.

Your passion for the type should drive your need to accurize. I obsess over sabres & MiG15s, most everything else will be good enough or fixed to the level I care about.
So long as we are still free to point out problems so that we might decide what needs fixing w/o the "be glad you got it" "don't kill the hobby""we must pretend all kits are perfect brigade" trying to shout us down.

So, end of lecture, looks at the photos of the kit and the real thing, if it looks good enough, it probably is so far as our home display shelves are concerned. Of course, if you dig Canadair 215/415s like I dig MiG-15s...you might never get one built!

January 5th, 2012, 5:38 pm #7

Wow you all must have been reading my mind, for some reason the first thing I did this AM was look for reviews of the B-66 kit on the net & I just finished a search of the plane talking forum for more info when I come here & youre talking about it, I seem to remember something about building up the center fuselage because of fit problems or something to that affect but never heard if the kit was accurate or not like I did with the Italeri B-58 kit, it sure looks like a B-66,

January 5th, 2012, 6:15 pm #8

When and if it ever comes out... The Italeri kit is about it so if you want a B-66 its that or nothing in 1/72. The old Monogram kit is smaller than 1/72 and is not that good.
...and the thing is, I can not find any problems with the upper fuselage and wings, I've compared and looked over technical drawings and I'm just not seeing it. SO, I wonder if the "angry anti-modeler guy" was mistaken, perhaps keeping the old Revell "box scale" B-66 kit in his mind.

Yes, it looks unusually good on the box top, I've seen it converted to a Vietnam era EB-66 (Bat 21?) before, that's neat.

As for the markings, I know the -66s were not known for their eye catching squadron markings even so, Wolfpack decals make it nicer?

The thing is, I do like it 'cause it's not the usual subject normally seen at contests or even at my club and is a somewhat forgotten bird among all the WWII subjects.

Thanks for the feedback!

"I over came the odds to get even."
Note To Self: Oyumaru is NOT a fruit snack!

January 5th, 2012, 10:17 pm #9

Here's a link to a review posted on MM today:
http://www.modelingmadness.com/scotts/viet/b66.htm

Frank B

January 5th, 2012, 11:58 pm #10

After that review there is gonna be a rush on B-66 kits! nt